Obamacare repeal. AKA: 7 years and THIS is what you come up with?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trojanchick99

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Los Feliz, CA (between Hollywood and Downtown LA)
So, the House GOP released their version of the ACA.

As expected it's Obamacare-lite. Now with less money for the poor!

[TWEET]838907799040114694[/TWEET]

A conservative friend of mine sells health insurance. Here are his thoughts on one of the bills.

The House Ways and Means Committee bill actually affects the ACA, but not in any of the ways or means you might think.

It zeroes out the individual and employer mandate. It modifies the tax credit so rich people get more of the subsidy and the poor who are elderly will go bankrupt. It allows everyone to buy Catastrophic level insurance. It grants a bunch of tax cuts for rich people and the tanning bed industry. It essentially prohibits health plans from covering "elective" abortions, whatever that means.

"Catastrophic" insurance is not different enough from Bronze plans to make any difference whatsoever. Currently, the price difference is less than 1%, if it is cheaper at all. This is a shitty bill that does NOTHING to improve the situation and does not significantly alter Obamacare at all. It just shifts money that was being spent on the poor and elderly to the young and wealthy.

Any politician who votes for or supports this bill is a worthless human being. I don't often agree with Democrats who say that all Republicans want to do is take money from the middle class and give it to the rich. But that is ALL this bill achieves. It takes money currently being spent on the poor and middle class, then gives it to the rich in the form of a tax cut.

I expect everyone between the ages of 60 and 65 who earn less than 400% of Federal Poverty Level to be unable to buy insurance, if this passes.

Last edited:
Seriously, this is like a bill that was put together last minute. They had six to seven years to come up with a grand vision for healthcare. And all they did was cut a few things, add some tax credits, and of course fuck with women's health.

While it sucks to take a sit back attitude, that's all I'm going to do with the next four to eight years. The GOP are going to have to own this shit. A lot of people will suffer, potentially even myself depending on the policies. But this is what the GOP have been screaming for, and their supporters.

Maybe it's best they just rip the bandaid off, and we can all cross fingers that people open up to what a disaster most of these policies will be.

Trumpicans have never had a plan, they just didn't want a black man's name on their healthcare. They now pretty much want THAT plan but they want to claim responsibility for it.

Maybe they pass it, and then add back in the parts that were removed......so it looks like they are saviors, and great lawmakers.

Trumpicans have never had a plan, they just didn't want a black man's name on their healthcare. They now pretty much want THAT plan but they want to claim responsibility for it.

It's no surprise to say that with everything that trump does, it's pathetic! PATHETIC! I'll edit that to say that everything the GOP and trump does, it's pathetic!

Last edited:
what a smug piece of shit.

(CNN)A Republican lawmaker on Tuesday walked back his remarks earlier in the day that low-income Americans may have to prioritize purchasing health care coverage over gadgets such as iPhones under Republicans' Obamacare replacement plan.

The controversy began when House Oversight Committee Chairman Jason Chaffetz told CNN's Alisyn Camerota on "New Day" that he wants low-income Americans to be able to have more access to health coverage.

"But access for lower income Americans doesn't equal coverage," Camerota said.

"Well, we're getting rid of the individual mandate. We're getting rid of those things that people said that they don't want," Chaffetz replied. "Americans have choices, and they've got to make a choice. So rather than getting that new iPhone that they just love and want to go spend hundreds of dollars on that, maybe they should invest in their own health care.

"They've got to make those decisions themselves," Chaffetz added.

Chaffetz walks back remarks on low-income Americans choosing health care over iPhones - CNNPolitics.com

Haha, yup. I mean, it's the same old argument against the poor.

Do they really need TVs??? Refrigerators???? A microwave oven??? That's way too fancy and rich for the poor.

The way they spin this, you would think the poor are living a life of luxury with all the possessions they own.

I for one hope that this is how they sell their Trumpcare. It will surely go over wonderfully with the public.

what a smug piece of shit.

That made me so fucking angry.

My mother had cancer and just ONE of the drugs necessary to keep her immune system from crashing and burning cost $5,000 per dose. That's a whole mess of iPhones. Her chemotherapy required her to be hospitalized for 3 days, that's a fucking Apples store full of iPhones.

Thank god she had insurance, which was only because of Obamacare. Before the ACA, she had a horrible insurance plan and an HSA. After Obamacare, her employer was required to offer better insurance and that saved her from bankruptcy. It also allowed her to get much better care, than she would have gotten in her hometown. It sadly didn't save her life, but it extended it.

There will be people singing praises to this because it was put together by Republicans and doesn't have the word "Obama" anywhere in its name. They will sing it's praises until they get fucked over by it.

I have to have a biopsy at the end of this month. Let's hope it's negative because I certainly can't afford to have cancer. Damn me for being poor, right?

omg i have no words (especially re. the comment Irvine posted) :angry:

just goes to show what the value of human life is to these "pro-life" Evangelical bastards :angry:

I have to have a biopsy at the end of this month. Let's hope it's negative because I certainly can't afford to have cancer. Damn me for being poor, right?

:hug:

it makes me so mad that people are having to think like this, in this situation :crack:

This iPhone comment is basically another take on the welfare queens idiocy that St. Reagan created.

Poor people also buy used iPhone off eBay for 150 bucks, nothing like out there tof toutch Rich people shaming the poor. They really don't care if poor people get health care they don't believe its a right of all human beings

just wait an extra year to get a new iphone, easy peasy.

that was an attempt at dark humour in case it isn't clear, having been truly poor (i still pretty much am, one bad financial hit now and i'm almost certainly out on the street within a month) where i did have to make those kind of tough "food or rent this month" decisions, i just have to laugh at how absurdly glib and insulting these rich assholes are all the time. i hope you are fine and healthy regardless of how the politics play out :hug:

:wink:

I actually did get a new iPhone about six months ago. It's not the newest model. I pay by the month for it, and the phone payments (for the phone itself, not for the service), are less than what I would be paying for my current prescriptions if my current insurance (which I only have because of the ACA!) did not cover them.

it looks like nearly everyone hates the Republicans plan, but we mustn't underestimate how easy it is to get the nearly poor to despise the actually poor, especially if they are people of color.

On the other end of the "this is bullshit" spectrum, consider how much work goes into employers setting up all the requirements. We changed our eligibility (it's still more generous than ACA called for, but we had to change the timing of it) - that was huge. Don't even get me fucking started on the work involved with setting up the reporting requirements for the IRS.

And then it's like "eh, we're getting rid of that." Fuck you, how about that? Can we have the time and money back we spent trying to sort out that nonsense?

Of course, employers shouldn't be at top of the list of who is kept in mind when these things are being planned, but when stuff like this is implemented, employers are left hanging onto crumbs of detail until the very last minute when the gov't finally decides what they meant by x, y or z, or how Q will work at all. Or they just delay it 10 times when they realize they have no idea how the details will work.

Could you assholes in charge PLEASE, for once in your silly little lives, plan out the details for employers, insurers, doctors, whoever is impacted, before you rush this shit through? (Yes, that goes retroactively for Obama, too.)

#EmployerBenefits4Lyfe

Good luck.

In response to Chaffetz' comments: Fuck. You. You condescending asshole.

As always, hearing shit like that just makes me want so badly to take these dumbass insensitive lawmakers and bring them back to observe what my family had been going through in 2009/2010 with my dad. And then I'd tell them to put a fuckng sock in it. God, this sort of attitude makes me so angry.

My mom's got insurance through her job. I don't know how this new setup would affect businesses who have their own insurance plans for their employees, but if she gets screwed over by it, too...

I really hope there's a mass outcry over this plan. I hope people continue to hold these idiots' feet to the fire. I hope there's more angry town hall meetings. These guys need to get a clue.

Surprise surprise, the new health bill includes big tax cuts to the wealthy because you know... They need every bit of help they can! You know what's actually kindof sweet with this? Is that many trump supporters are poor or midle class. Precisely the people that will get shafted. Sadly all others will also get shafted except for the rich! God forbid they have to pay big taxes!

The progressive tax must be massively increased. Extreme wealth is an unhealthy human condition. Losing touch with reality like that is not good for anyone.

17098423_10210216459821722_3010636354656408114_n.jpg

our society is set up to punish people who have no money by demanding they pay money for everything necessary to get themselves out of poverty and then punishing them even further when they don't have it.

no money? that means you have shit credit so we won't give you money to open a business or go to school so you can actually make money.

no money? it's a shame you don't have a fixed address, so nobody will hire you so you can make money to afford two months' rent deposit on a place to live.

no money? how about a $10 bank fee every month because you have no money in your account. don't have the $10 to pay that fee right when we decide to take it? here's another $40 nsf fee on top of that for having no money. oh and that's being taken back *first* the instant you do have money again, no matter what else you may need it for.

no money? too bad you can't pay $75 for a passport or driver's license to identify yourself to employers so that they can legally hire you and you can make money.

no money? it's a shame you missed the payment on your cell phone plan this month. we're going to cut off service with no warning and charge you everything you owe plus $50 just to turn it back on. good luck getting a callback for a job without a phone!

no money? but all the jobs are downtown, and since you need to pay $3.50 to get on a bus, guess you're fucked unless you can find something in walking distance. if it narrows your opportunities by 95%, well then you can just easily move right?

it goes on and on. i admittedly (shamefully) used to have the mentality of "well shit if a panhandler gets a $2 coin on average every 10-15 minutes that's $8-$12 an hour, i make minimum wage which is $11 and i have a place to live" and wouldn't give it much more thought. but having come thisclose to being truly homeless and destitute in the past year i've come to realize how truly crushing society is to those who have money. you get a tiny bit but you already owe so much to so many it's instantly gone and chances are you're even worse off than before because the ones that didn't get paid now want even more next time you do get a couple bucks. and on, and on, and on.

"if you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever" - george orwell

Back
Top Bottom