Obamacare repeal. AKA: 7 years and THIS is what you come up with?!?! - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2017, 10:43 PM   #31
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
our society is set up to punish people who have no money by demanding they pay money for everything necessary to get themselves out of poverty and then punishing them even further when they don't have it.

no money? that means you have shit credit so we won't give you money to open a business or go to school so you can actually make money.

no money? it's a shame you don't have a fixed address, so nobody will hire you so you can make money to afford two months' rent deposit on a place to live.

no money? how about a $10 bank fee every month because you have no money in your account. don't have the $10 to pay that fee right when we decide to take it? here's another $40 nsf fee on top of that for having no money. oh and that's being taken back *first* the instant you do have money again, no matter what else you may need it for.

no money? too bad you can't pay $75 for a passport or driver's license to identify yourself to employers so that they can legally hire you and you can make money.

no money? it's a shame you missed the payment on your cell phone plan this month. we're going to cut off service with no warning and charge you everything you owe plus $50 just to turn it back on. good luck getting a callback for a job without a phone!

no money? but all the jobs are downtown, and since you need to pay $3.50 to get on a bus, guess you're fucked unless you can find something in walking distance. if it narrows your opportunities by 95%, well then you can just easily move right?

it goes on and on. i admittedly (shamefully) used to have the mentality of "well shit if a panhandler gets a $2 coin on average every 10-15 minutes that's $8-$12 an hour, i make minimum wage which is $11 and i have a place to live" and wouldn't give it much more thought. but having come thisclose to being truly homeless and destitute in the past year i've come to realize how truly crushing society is to those who have money. you get a tiny bit but you already owe so much to so many it's instantly gone and chances are you're even worse off than before because the ones that didn't get paid now want even more next time you do get a couple bucks. and on, and on, and on.

"if you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever" - george orwell
Indeed! Well said!! And yet the rich get big tax cuts! But thank you for sharing! I hope you are in a better situation now and that everything works out for you! Society is shit to those who are not wealthy!

Old 03-07-2017, 10:43 PM   #32
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:09 AM
Anything positive to be taken from the alleged hatred the Tea Party has for this new bill?

Old 03-07-2017, 10:46 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabiggestu2fan View Post
I hope you are in a better situation now and that everything works out for you!
This, too. You have my absolute sympathy, Dave.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:07 PM   #34
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

ugh, this iphone business. sure, just let your phone die (should you have the misfortune of your phone's battery eventually running out to where it doesn't hold a charge or otherwise just fucking up) so then you have no way of getting ahold of anyone! i'm not even talking about social media, even though i'm all for people being able to relax in their free time. i'm talking about people being able to call/text their boss or prospective employers. but what do these guys know or care about this, these are the "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" guys who think anything is possible if you just work hard enough. if that were true then my family and i, along with most of the working class, would be rich. and this upper crust would be broke since they just live off of their investments, so they ought to shut up about hard work since they wouldn't know about a hard day's work if it bit them in the ass.

i finally got healthcare for the first time this year since 2009, i have no idea now how much it's going to cost me after all this. and i just have the bare minimum, the stuff that states have to legally offer you in order to be aca-compliant so you don't get stuck paying the tax penalty. it was a nice relief last month to be able to go to one of those clinics in the pharmacy and not have to pay a copay, even after getting tested for the flu.

i'd like to say someone like me isn't who's on their radar for being a mooch as i work full time, but who knows? i certainly don't earn enough to support myself in this city, what with the cost of living getting so out of control here as we're experiencing such a rapid population boom, i believe more than any other american city. and i don't even live downtown! my boyfriend and i barely afford our one bedroom apartment. we could probably find something cheaper if we really tried, but i think it'd have to be one of those "you have to know someone" things because honestly, every place online was about the same rentwise. and surprisingly the public transportation sucks here, believe me i know.

going off of davec's last post, people who are in the "have" category can tend to judge those who are in the "have not" category so much and of course, those who have even more will pit everyone else to fight for the few remaining scraps. so you get people writing stuff like "why should minimum wage be $15/hour? i don't even make that much and i'm a (some kind of skilled job implying fast food is only for dumbasses)." the real point of course isn't that the guy at mcd's doesn't deserve a living wage, it's that you, skilled worker, have been grossly underpaid all these years, and that's what politicians are hoping will distract everyone which is why the idea got put aside for now.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:47 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
i'd like to say someone like me isn't who's on their radar for being a mooch as i work full time, but who knows?
To hear people talk with such disdain about mooches makes me wonder if I am one.

When the ACA passed and Medicaid expanded in my state, I became eligible. Despite working full time, I was only making minimum wage and was still below the poverty line. That just goes to show how much minimum wage is NOT a living wage. Many of my coworkers had to work two full time minimum wage jobs just to make ends meet, leaving them no time with their families.

I was working, but still so poor that I needed government assistance. Was I a mooch?

I'm not working right now, instead I'm a full time student, working toward a degree in healthcare so that I can actually make more than minimum wage. Am I a mooch? I'm trying to better myself. I don't receive food stamps even though I am eligible to. I have chosen not to. I could work part time (again at minimum wage) while being a full time student, but I'd still be so poor that I'd receive Medicaid, and my studies would suffer. Am I a mooch?

Having access to health care and medication is the only thing that keeps me going. I have to take anxiety medicine every day just to be able to function in society. I see a therapist regularly so that my stress does not overwhelm me. I have a birth control implant in my arm secreting hormones to me daily so that my ovaries do not explode into cysts and try to kill me. All of these things cost money. Am I a mooch because I am using taxpayer money to stay healthy?

Fun fact. Most people that receive government benefits are working. They're working full time and still not making ends meet, because everything is an uphill battle. They're working their asses off for 12 cents a minute (that's the federal minimum wage, before taxes), for a rich company that squirrels away their assets and tries to avoid paying taxes. And they get called mooches.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:52 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Heck, I don't even have an iPhone. I don't have any of those sorts of fancy gadgets. So that statement is also insulting with its assumption that everyone who's struggling financially is just automatically "blowing their money" on those sorts of things because...no?

There's also the fact that people can sometimes get that kind of stuff as gifts-my mom has an Amazon tablet that she got from one of our relatives as a Christmas gift last year. And then there's the fact that if people do buy those sorts of fancy things, they usually often do so when they ARE in a more financially stable situation.

But hey, why bring up facts like that, right? Better to just paint all poor/working class people as being stupid and careless with money so you (general "you") don't have to help or care about their struggles.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:17 AM   #37
Refugee

My total medical bills for the 3 1/2 years I had ulcerative colitis and had to get 4 surgeries probably totaled over $500,000. Fuck Jason Chaffetz so much. He truly believes that if poor people didn't buy iPhones they could afford healthcare. I can't stress how absolutely disgusting his statement was.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:53 AM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Figured this might be relevant to the healthcare discussion, especially given how the GOP's proposal plans to continue to restrict women's health issues:

Techies team up for abortion access hackathon - Mar. 6, 2017

Rather neat concept, I must say.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:08 AM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

Obamacare repeal. AKA: 7 years and THIS is what you come up with?!?!

There are things about this bill that actually do intrigue me. Namely, I have to wonder if the 30% increase in costs for lack of continuous coverage combined with keeping the rule against pre-existing conditions might work better for promoting coverage than does the current individual mandate plus penalty (ceteris paribus). The ACA is potentially death spiraling right now, so clearly the individual mandate needs some adjustment. I don't know if the 30% cost increase leads to something more or less actuarially sound, or more or less prone to adverse selection, but it's an intriguing way to try to deal with a legitimately enormous issue with the ACA.

That said, looks like this bill will be a struggle to pass anyway. Moderate Senate Republicans are none too happy about eventually repealing the Medicaid expansion, and House Freedom Caucus types are none too happy about the fact that this is still a rather major step of the federal government into health care, as compared to the pre-Obama baseline. We shall see.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:36 AM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Anything positive to be taken from the alleged hatred the Tea Party has for this new bill?
On the one hand, I'm fairly cynical about this because the Republicans are generally a lot better at herding the sheep than Democrats. The GOP has basically gerrymandered all the right-leaning Democrats out of the House. The Democratic caucus is basically united mostly because by and large the centrists are gone. So Paul Ryan has really no shot in getting them to pass any bipartisan bill. Which means his only hope is to negotiate with these Tea Party freaks which would result in a much worse bill than the one presented now.

On the other hand, Trump is totally unpredictable and while he is supporting this bill now, if he decides to take on a more disinterested role, the Freedom Caucus will be emboldened to hold out.

Polling data now has the ACA approval at 54-43%. The GOP is up deep doo-doo here.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:57 PM   #41
Blue Crack Supplier

everyone knows this "plan" is total bullshit and not meant to go anywhere? that it's only meant to fulfill the "repeal and replace" commitment/crisis that they've been screaming about for 7 years, and not intended to actually repeal and replace since this isn't going to go anywhere -- but they will say they've made an attempt, but Obamacare is still the law of the land, and it's the Democrats' fault (or still Obama's, or something). it's impossible to come up with a market-oriented "better than Obamacare" solution that will cover as many people, cost less, and cut taxes at the same time. it can't be done. coverage of any sort of quality costs money.

the ACA will probably remain mostly intact. i don't think Trump has the attention span to push this through.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:07 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

The only thing that makes me doubt that this is just a dog-and-pony show is how early they trotted it out. Now I know Trump promised Day 1 but nobody with 2 brain cells to rub together believed that.

If Ryan has accepted that this is going nowhere and his longterm plan is to blame the Democrats, he has a problem when it comes to the 2018 midterms because you'll have a substantial Freedom Caucus following emboldened by the idiot in chief who will be more than happy to mount even more primary challenges. These are mouth breathers expecting a full repeal and I can see how the current ones in Congress will go home to tell their constituents that it's the RINOs who fucked this up, but what I don't get is how the RINOs expect to survive a number of primary challenges. It would be one thing if they rolled this out in a year, then you could actually campaign on the premise that "something is in the works" but rolling it out this far in advance takes away any excuse for not getting something done.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:29 PM   #43
Blue Crack Distributor

From the ACTUAL BILL:

(a) SHORT TITLE.—This Act may be cited as the
4 ‘‘World’s Greatest Healthcare Plan of 2017’’.

https://www.congress.gov/115/bills/h...15hr1275ih.pdf

Was that Trump's one contribution to the language?
Old 03-08-2017, 03:36 PM   #44
Blue Crack Supplier

Jesus Christ
Old 03-08-2017, 03:43 PM   #45
Blue Crack Distributor

I just showed it to the head of employee benefits. He didn't believe I was serious.