Obama reverses abortion policy - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind

Old 01-25-2009, 02:07 PM   #121
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
Ok I get it. I can't say a fucking word about my views without someone totally ripping it apart.
This is what I'm talking about... you're playing a victim.

This is what happens in a debate, you state your side, then someone will try and counter those points. Now if your argument is weak, then yes it will get "ripped apart". But if it's supported and logical than we can have a civil discussion about it...

Old 01-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #122
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
well so far there are NONE offical statistics...

but I give you credit because your presenting your arguments in a dignified way... Thanks!
Well if there are no official stats then why did you try and pass that number off as being legit? Is that how many people you counted when you were there?

Even the conservative radio news weren't saying 500,000...

Old 01-25-2009, 02:19 PM   #123
She's the One

Local Time: 08:28 AM
Quote:
Ok I get it. I can't say a fucking word about my views without someone totally ripping it apart.
Welcome to FYM. Make a more solid case. Perhaps it wouldn't be so easy to rip it apart.

Quote:
Before Roe Vs. Wade, you could get an abortion if you could give reason to two physicians.
Why should a woman have to do this? And can you really cite the laws and states where this was the case? I'd be interested to know. Until you can give specifics on this point, prepare to be called out on it every time you use it.

Quote:
Many people call me close-minded.
I bet they do. A young man earnestly telling grown women that he knows best for them as far as health decisions go.

Quote:
I've tried to present all my points fairly calmly, but it gets hard when people use that kind of sarcasm.
You have presented your points calmly. But you expect me to allow you to tell me that I have to have children because it makes you sad if I don't?

And, go back to the post that started this thread. You haven't addressed the points there that were rebutted. You started by complaining how your money would be used to fund abortions overseas. When people proved you wrong, you ignored their facts and started in on US laws. I only brought up US laws after you did.

So, what about the responses to your initial post? Anything there?
Old 01-25-2009, 08:01 PM   #124
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:28 AM
Quote:
I was referring to the march for life.
I had to listen to my pastor speak about this bullshit, and he referenced the media in a scarily similar manner to the way that you did.

I'm very glad the media doesn't report on it. It's extremely redundant, there's not a chance in hell it's going to do anything, and less and less people care everyday because more and more young people are being educated and understand the issue (or what should be a lackthereof).
Old 01-25-2009, 08:04 PM   #125
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:28 AM
Quote:
I like to think that I'm being as straightforward with you as possible, avoiding sarcasm and such (that's my natural tendency, anyway).

But this is not a place to come in and have people congratulate you on the fact that you have views. This is a place to have your views debated in detail by people on both sides of the issue.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:33 PM   #126
Refugee

Local Time: 12:28 PM
Quote:
I like to think that I'm being as straightforward with you as possible, avoiding sarcasm and such (that's my natural tendency, anyway).
yeah. That is true

but, it's kinda hard for me because Im one person agaisnt like at least 5 who obviosly have a greater knowledge of things than me
Old 01-25-2009, 09:42 PM   #127
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:28 PM
Quote:
yeah. That is true

but, it's kinda hard for me because Im one person agaisnt like at least 5 who obviosly have a greater knowledge of things than me
I think the Conservatives are just generally in a minority over here in FYM, so it probably does feel like you're fighting against a whole ton of people. Don't take it personally
Old 01-25-2009, 09:51 PM   #128
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
yeah. That is true

Maybe before you start a thread, try to have your knowledge up to scratch and evidence to back up what your declaring, otherwise you make it easy for people to destroy your arguments. In general it's best to know the topic you have a strong opinion on, otherwise it's a bit like saying 'I believe unicorns exist' with no evidence to prove that. The right to have an opinion is respected, but opinions themeselves do not have the automatic right to be respected. Which is what often annoys me in arguments with people, opinions are not sacrosanct.

Anyway stick around here at least, you'll find you will get better at debating.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:04 PM   #129
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:28 AM
The modern hard right has adopted the liberal language of 'diversity of views', 'choice', 'balance' and so forth to extremely illiberal ends. Tricky stuff, I'm all tied up in rhetorical knots of doublethink.

Our friend pac-mule is a fine example of this. The entire thread is worthless and a waste of time. Obama's decision almost certainly does not mean what he claims it means, so what is left to discuss?
Old 01-25-2009, 10:13 PM   #130
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJT View Post
Maybe before you start a thread, try to have your knowledge up to scratch and evidence to back up what your declaring, otherwise you make it easy for people to destroy your arguments. In general it's best to know the topic you have a strong opinion on, otherwise it's a bit like saying 'I believe unicorns exist' with no evidence to prove that. The right to have an opinion is respected, but opinions themeselves do not have the automatic right to be respected. Which is what often annoys me in arguments with people, opinions are not sacrosanct.

Anyway stick around here at least, you'll find you will get better at debating.
It strikes me, as a general and not specific comment, that there are posters other than The Pac Mule that have already decided their opinion on the broader issue, and without citing much by way of evidence, before posting.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:13 PM   #131
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by partygirlvox View Post
I think the Conservatives are just generally in a minority over here in FYM, so it probably does feel like you're fighting against a whole ton of people. Don't take it personally
I agree, don't take it personally and please stick around.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:22 PM   #132
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Why should a woman have to do this? And can you really cite the laws and states where this was the case? I'd be interested to know. Until you can give specifics on this point, prepare to be called out on it every time you use it.
By the same standard, prepare to be called out each and every time you present human life as a piece of biological trash.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:22 PM   #133
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
It strikes me, as a general and not specific comment, that there are posters other than The Pac Mule that have already decided their opinion on the broader issue, and without citing much by way of evidence, before posting.
Bad arguments don't always need contravening evidence to disprove them when there is a certain amount of illogic to it.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:29 PM   #134
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJT View Post
Bad arguments don't always need contravening evidence to disprove them when there is a certain amount of illogic to it.
But the anti-abortion position is logical:-

Untitled Document
Old 01-25-2009, 10:39 PM   #135
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I did not suggest there could not be a logical anti-abortion position...just the argument being made here wasn't the best.

I've did a couple of about turns in my relatively short life on the abortion debate but arrived at the current pro-choice position or supporting the availability of abortion, or whatever way you want to phrase, just from some general life experience.