Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2009, 09:10 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
It's about fucking time this ridiculous policy was abandoned. There were many very good organizations which had nothing to do with abortion that were denied funding simply because they talked about family planning.
Well said

Old 01-23-2009, 09:10 PM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
Well I don't like the term anti-choice. No one calles people anti-life, except radical right wingers, which I am not. I think the terms pro-choice and pro-life work because both satisfy the persons beliefs..
Yeah, I'm not even going to bother going into semantics here.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:13 PM   #33
Refugee

Local Time: 08:53 PM
Quote:
Yeah, I'm not even going to bother going into semantics here.

yeah. Im actually sorry I said that!
Old 01-23-2009, 09:14 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Well I *personally* am pro-life in that I don't think I could ever have an abortion, BUT I know I have the luxury of being able to say that. I have a spouse, a job, a family that would probably be nothing short of thrilled if I got preggers.

But anyway...for me things like this are not about who has abortions and why, they are about the fact that I will not have some rich old white Christian fundie tell ME what I can or cannot do or what my doctors can or cannot do with respect to my own medical decisions. And if I have that right than I don't see why anyone else anywhere else should not.

And yeah, that whole thing about the effing war costing us BILLIONS while an abortion sometimes costs less than getting a dog spayed...
Old 01-23-2009, 09:14 PM   #35
Refugee

Question, who here thinks that its right for any woman who is in perfect health to get an abortion simply because she doesn't want the baby? (Not rape, incest, etc.)
Old 01-23-2009, 09:15 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:53 AM

Quote:
Question, who here thinks that its right for any woman who is in perfect health to get an abortion simply because she doesn't want the baby? (Not rape, incest, etc.)
Old 01-23-2009, 09:17 PM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I think that simply getting an abortion because you don't feel like having a baby is wrong. However, that's rarely the case. Even if the health of a mother isn't in danger, or there's not a rape/incest situation, the majority of abortions (outside of health, rape, or incest) occur because a woman is either too young to be ready to be a mother and/or she's not in a financial situation to have the resources to provide for a child.

ETA: I agree with Lies below me when she says that abortions are a medical procedure and, like any medical procedure should only be between a person and their doctor.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:17 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I am morally opposed to abortion as a convenience, but really I don't think it's any of my biznaz. I mean it's a medical procedure performed by a medical doctor. Not only is that confidential anyway but I can't pretend to understand someone else's circumstances or assume their beliefs are the same as mine.

Again, it's not about WHY people get abortions....it's not even really about abortions...
Old 01-23-2009, 09:18 PM   #39
Refugee

Ok. Who supports Obama voting againt the Born Alive act?
Old 01-23-2009, 09:23 PM   #40
The Male

Local Time: 05:53 PM
Quote:
Do I think it's right? I wouldn't encourage it over other options such as, I don't know, a condom. Of course, contraceptives are affordable here.

However, realistically, do I have any right to foist my beliefs on anyone else? Absolutely not. This is why I'm leaning more towards pro-choice these days. I hate abortion. It's sickening, and often an unfortunate consequence of poor decision-making and generally shitty circumstances. I love life, and I want the best for each and every creature on God's green earth. However, in some of the aforementioned shitty circumstances, the more reasonable and less damaging option is abortion, and for this reason, it should remain an option.

Always keep the following in mind:

The life of the mother is of higher priority than that of the fetus.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:23 PM   #41
Refugee

Quote:
I think that simply getting an abortion because you don't feel like having a baby is wrong. However, that's rarely the case. Even if the health of a mother isn't in danger, or there's not a rape/incest situation, the majority of abortions (outside of health, rape, or incest) occur because a woman is either too young to be ready to be a mother and/or she's not in a financial situation to have the resources to provide for a child.
I honestly don't know whether teens should be able to get abortions. But if you can't afford the child, give it up for adoption. Also, I read this.

Quote:
1% of all abortions occur because of rape or incest; 6% of abortions occur because of potential health problems regarding either the mother or child, and 93% of all abortions occur for social reasons (i.e. the child is unwanted or inconvenient).
Abortion Statistics

In the U.S. mind you, but still
Old 01-23-2009, 09:25 PM   #42
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
it's about fucking time this ridiculous policy was abandoned. There were many very good organizations which had nothing to do with abortion that were denied funding simply because they talked about family planning.

I really don't give a shit that a man living in the us is pissed. Women all over the world were endangered by this stupid policy. that should have been pissing people off.
QFT
Old 01-23-2009, 09:27 PM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Ok. Who supports Obama voting againt the Born Alive act?
Obama has stated many times that the reason he didn't support the Born Alive Act (which, by the way, was only for the state of Illinois, the federal act was passed in 2002 before Obama was in the U.S. Senate) was because it didn't have a clause in it that protected the already existing Illinois abortion laws. The federal Born Alive Act, however, did have provisions that protected existing abortion laws and President Obama has said many times that, had he been in the U.S. Senate at the time the bill was going through it, he would have voted for it. So, to answer your question, since the Illinois bill (that Obama voted against) didn't have provisions that would protect the normal abortion laws, I don't think I would've supported it either.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:29 PM   #44
Refugee

Quote:
ETA: I agree with Lies below me when she says that abortions are a medical procedure and, like any medical procedure should only be between a person and their doctor.
I suppose, but just because its a medial procedure doesn't make it right. Assissted suicide is a medical procedure...although I wont bring that topic in
Old 01-23-2009, 09:30 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I suppose, but just because its a medial procedure doesn't make it right. Assissted suicide is a medical procedure...although I wont bring that topic in
Yeah don't bring that up, lol, I actually agree with THAT more than abortion...