Obama reverses abortion policy - Page 26 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-28-2009, 09:40 PM   #376
Refugee
 
The_Pac_Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,342
Local Time: 03:06 AM
Quote:
I usually stay out of abortion threads, but why would you be more comfortable imposing the consequences of your moral beliefs on women than men? I understand you were answering a specific question and I appreciate your honesty and your attempt to rethink what your position would be if it directly affected you and your sex, but your admission that you would be more comfortable since this is a woman thing than you would be if it were a man thing makes me a little uncomfortable--because the goal would be exactly the same. Would you clarify please? Why would it be more uncomfortable for you to stick with your beliefs?
Thanks. Hmm..because I think most don't totally like being told what they can and can't do (I know I can't! ), so I definetly see where the women are coming from. If I were a woman, being told by a man what I can and can't do would feel kind of annoying. (I'm not trying to be sexist, I hope no one accuses me of that)
__________________

__________________
The_Pac_Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:46 PM   #377
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 04:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonosSaint View Post
I usually stay out of abortion threads, but why would you be more comfortable imposing the consequences of your moral beliefs on women than men? I understand you were answering a specific question and I appreciate your honesty and your attempt to rethink what your position would be if it directly affected you and your sex, but your admission that you would be more comfortable since this is a woman thing than you would be if it were a man thing makes me a little uncomfortable--because the goal would be exactly the same. Would you clarify please? Why would it be more uncomfortable for you to stick with your beliefs?
Because it then could possibly directly affect him, perhaps?
__________________

__________________
indra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:46 PM   #378
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 09:06 AM
I think the debate, at least in the last three pages or so, is gravitating in a direction which very much suits the abortion on demand lobby.
__________________
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:50 PM   #379
Refugee
 
The_Pac_Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,342
Local Time: 03:06 AM
Quote:
Because it then could possibly directly affect him, perhaps?
I said probably, too, btw, and I said even if I felt a little less comfortable I explained why and said I wouldn't change my mind. Or maybe I would hey who knows.
__________________
The_Pac_Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:12 PM   #380
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,337
Local Time: 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
I think the debate, at least in the last three pages or so, is gravitating in a direction which very much suits the abortion on demand lobby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
I have a question for those who think forcing women to have children is such a barn-burner of an idea. Most of you will make an exception for those women who have been raped. How do you legally differentiate those circumstances? How does it work? How does the law separate the sluts form the victims?

For example:

Andrea is seventeen, and having sex regularly with her boyfriend. They use condoms, but one time the condom breaks and she ends up pregnant. She was a willing participant in the sex, so is unqualified to have her pregnancy terminated. Her plans to attend college for a decade and become a physician are terminated instead.

Betty is seventeen and a virgin, until the night her creepy uncle holds her down and rapes her while she cries and begs him to stop. She becomes pregnant as a result of his actions.

How do those of you who support abortion access in Betty's case differentiate between the slut and the victim? How does it work? How do you make sure that Andrea bears the child of her shame and Betty doesn't? What must Betty prove to you so you allow her access to abortion?
You're certainly welcome to chime any time to clarify your positions.
__________________
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:13 PM   #381
ONE
love, blood, life
 
namkcuR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 10,290
Local Time: 03:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
I think the debate, at least in the last three pages or so, is gravitating in a direction which very much suits the abortion on demand lobby.
Please elaborate on what you mean by "abortion on demand lobby".
__________________
namkcuR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:52 PM   #382
Refugee
 
dazzlingamy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Posts: 2,468
Local Time: 07:06 PM
i still don't get the high interest in this. Why do people seem to care SO MUCH about an unborn feutus who in reality is a blob of cells that could not survive outside the womb, but as soon as the baby is born, seem to not give a shit? Where are the support for the young mothers, the monitoring and help with parents who are not coping, a fail safe welfare system, a bloody good foster care system, good health support, good school support, etc etc

your economy is in the toilet, hundreds and thousands of children are physically and emotionally abused, there are big problems in society, there are shitloads of bloody mental people out there and we get stuck on this tiny tiny issue of whether a blob of cells is a person.

You know what shits me, when we keep worrying and working on things that take our attention and effort off things that REALLY matter. When you've fixed illness, the homeless, the economy, human rights, war, and everything else, lets talk about abortion.
__________________
dazzlingamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:17 AM   #383
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,979
Local Time: 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlingamy View Post
i still don't get the high interest in this. Why do people seem to care SO MUCH about an unborn feutus who in reality is a blob of cells that could not survive outside the womb, but as soon as the baby is born, seem to not give a shit? Where are the support for the young mothers, the monitoring and help with parents who are not coping, a fail safe welfare system, a bloody good foster care system, good health support, good school support, etc etc

your economy is in the toilet, hundreds and thousands of children are physically and emotionally abused, there are big problems in society, there are shitloads of bloody mental people out there and we get stuck on this tiny tiny issue of whether a blob of cells is a person.

You know what shits me, when we keep worrying and working on things that take our attention and effort off things that REALLY matter. When you've fixed illness, the homeless, the economy, human rights, war, and everything else, lets talk about abortion.
I couldn't agree more over this. But as I've said a few times in the thread, I think it's so significant that it's mostly men (with a few exceptions, mostly those with religious backgrounds) who feel so vehemently against it. If, like it's already been said, this was a Male issue we wouldn't be having this debate at all. It is only a cluster of cells, only propoganda and more extreme examples would tell you otherwise.

And I find it amazing how pro-lifers always seem to assume abortion would 'be abused' and used as birth control. Yes, by a few, but the decision to have an abortion has probably got to be the hardest decision a woman will ever make. Yet here people are, thinking we're all just clamouring to have one for the hell of it!
__________________
pgv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:45 AM   #384
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,773
Local Time: 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Go research how many rape cases actually:
1. are reported
2. are prosecuted
3. have the rapist convicted
4. get settle with in the first trimester of a pregnancy
I could make a guess on that. Something around 0 perhaps?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:46 AM   #385
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,773
Local Time: 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
This question still stands for anyone else to attempt to answer.
I'd allow them both an abortion. In the first case, yes, it was an accident. But shit happens, and the girl shouldn't have her future fucked up(yea pun I know) because of a broken condom.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:49 AM   #386
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,773
Local Time: 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
Warn me if you have to, but this guy is an idiot. There's no point in reasoning with him. That statement right there shows where he's coming from.

In any case, I'm done with him.
I don't think anyone here will ever agree with him. I don't want to bicker or have words with him but I simply do not understand why he posts things like this. So bluntly against females and then claiming he's very much pro women? Bullshit. Direct contradictions.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:51 AM   #387
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,773
Local Time: 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post

I'll wait for the other anti-choice men to contribute to the thread. But I notice that once the hard questions get asked, they bail.
This just struck me as interesting.


How come all of the anti-choice people here are men?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:00 AM   #388
Refugee
 
AliEnvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,320
Local Time: 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by partygirlvox View Post
It is only a cluster of cells,
Is this what you need to believe to make it acceptable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by partygirlvox View Post
the decision to have an abortion has probably got to be the hardest decision a woman will ever make.
If it's only a cluster of cells, why would the decision be the hardest decision a woman will ever have to make?
__________________
AliEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:03 AM   #389
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,498
Local Time: 03:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
How come all of the anti-choice people here are men?


because they don't have a womb?
__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:05 AM   #390
Refugee
 
AliEnvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,320
Local Time: 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
How come all of the anti-choice people here are men?
Don't kid yourself - there are almost as many women who are anti-women as there are men who are anti-women.
__________________

__________________
AliEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com