Obama reverses abortion policy - Page 25 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2009, 06:05 PM   #361
She's the One

Local Time: 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
I said if a woman wants an abortion because of rape, she should should also need to go to court. Obviosuly people didn't read my post in its entirety, because I said she doens't have to wait for the case to end to get the abortion.

According to my idea, the girl who was raped could get an abortion, and would then prove to court she was raped. The promiscuous woman could get an abortion if she cried rape, but I doubt afterwards her case would stand up in court. and then she would have to live with that.
You didn't even look on Wiki for any statistics, did you?

Quote:
I most certainly am not. I was raised around women, I grew up with my mom and grandma without a father, and my mom has like 8 sisters. I hold great respect for women.
No, you don't. Go run your "good ideas" by your aunties. See what they say.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:05 PM   #362
Refugee

Local Time: 05:12 AM
Quote:
you know, even promiscuous women get raped.
yes, rarely, but yes. She still can get the abortion, even if her case failed..just the idea is to discourage those from making up they were raped to get an abortion

Old 01-28-2009, 06:05 PM   #363
Refugee

Local Time: 10:12 AM
Quote:
The promiscuous woman could get an abortion if she cried rape, but I doubt afterwards her case would stand up in court. and then she would have to live with that.
Andrea, the 17 year old with a boyfriend and using condoms is promiscuous? That's the respect you have for women?
Old 01-28-2009, 06:08 PM   #364
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:12 AM
Quote:
yes, rarely, but yes.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:11 PM   #365
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
The promiscuous woman
Warn me if you have to, but this guy is an idiot. There's no point in reasoning with him. That statement right there shows where he's coming from.

In any case, I'm done with him.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:16 PM   #366
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I said if a woman wants an abortion because of rape, she should should also need to go to court. Obviosuly people didn't read my post in its entirety, because I said she doens't have to wait for the case to end to get the abortion.
Your scenario effectively turns the decision of abortion into a game of poker with lives at stake instead of chips. There are women who would be desperate enough to go ahead and press the charges even if they were false, knowing that pressing the charges is what counts, and not the verdict. All you'd end up with is a bunch of innocent men being wrongly charged with rape(and the charges being rape, their female accusers would be given the benefit of the doubt in court anyway), and a giant waste of government money on unnecessary hearings. Oh, and let's not forget that the a law like this would invariably make law enforcement officials(i.e. cops and lawyers) more skeptical when actual rape victims are trying to get justice. To sum up, this idea would ruin a bunch of innocent mens' lives for at least a few months or much more than that if convicted and make it harder for real rape victims to get justice, and the financial support of these undesirable results would be a waste of government money(read: taxes).

Quote:
According to my idea, the girl who was raped could get an abortion, and would then prove to court she was raped. The promiscuous woman could get an abortion if she cried rape, but I doubt afterwards her case would stand up in court. and then she would have to live with that.
Wait, so you're saying the woman whose birth control didn't work could get away with abortion anyway but that her punishment would be living with it? In the middle of an argument about legal limitations to abortion, your answer to a question you're asked is that she would suffer karmic/moral/ethical punishment in the form of living with it?

Quote:
I most certainly am not. I was raised around women, I grew up with my mom and grandma without a father, and my mom has like 8 sisters. I hold great respect for women.
I don't think you're being dishonest in that, I really don't. I just don't think you understand how the things you're saying are contrary to that. I have an honest question for you: If, hypothetically speaking, men were the gender capable of carrying babies, if men got pregnant, would you be as comfortable in suggesting ideas/practices/laws that invade their privacy and impose your morals on them?
Old 01-28-2009, 06:22 PM   #367
Blue Crack Supplier

All I needed to hear was the one allusion to promiscuous women to know the true motive here.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:25 PM   #368
She's the One

Local Time: 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
Warn me if you have to, but this guy is an idiot. There's no point in reasoning with him. That statement right there shows where he's coming from.

I have to follow your excellent example and go as well. I've already pointed out that there's no way to intelligently discuss anything with him.

I'll wait for the other anti-choice men to contribute to the thread. But I notice that once the hard questions get asked, they bail.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:27 PM   #369
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:12 AM
Quote:
yes, rarely, but yes.
I was willing to come to bat for you that you didn't have women issues you were just extremely underresearched, but then you said this, and I have to agree, you are anti-woman.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:31 PM   #370
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life

At the end of the day the pro-life people can come in here with their shameless chauvinism and/or ignorance... but it doesn't change things, Obama reversed the policy, and we pro-choicers should continue to celebrate that
Old 01-28-2009, 06:31 PM   #371
Forum Moderator

I think it may be time to give the tangent of the last few pages a rest for awhile. Clearly multiple people are getting pretty agitated and starting to talk like it.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:14 PM   #372
Refugee

Quote:
Andrea, the 17 year old with a boyfriend and using condoms is promiscuous? That's the respect you have for women?
Quote:
Quote:
All I needed to hear was the one allusion to promiscuous women to know the true motive here.
Sorry. That was missinterpretted, I was referring to the story I think Martha told, and I believe she was later referred to as "slut." I don't use words like that. Sorry for pissing some of you guys off I didn't mean it to come out the way it did.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:20 PM   #373
Refugee

Quote:
I was willing to come to bat for you that you didn't have women issues you were just extremely underresearched, but then you said this, and I have to agree, you are anti-woman.
yeah, what I said I realized I hadn't thought before I spoke. Once again, I will say I am not anti-woman, that just wouldn't make sense with my background. But I didn't think that one through. Apologies to those who were offended.

Quote:
Your scenario effectively turns the decision of abortion into a game of poker with lives at stake instead of chips. There are women who would be desperate enough to go ahead and press the charges even if they were false, knowing that pressing the charges is what counts, and not the verdict. All you'd end up with is a bunch of innocent men being wrongly charged with rape(and the charges being rape, their female accusers would be given the benefit of the doubt in court anyway), and a giant waste of government money on unnecessary hearings. Oh, and let's not forget that the a law like this would invariably make law enforcement officials(i.e. cops and lawyers) more skeptical when actual rape victims are trying to get justice. To sum up, this idea would ruin a bunch of innocent mens' lives for at least a few months or much more than that if convicted and make it harder for real rape victims to get justice, and the financial support of these undesirable results would be a waste of government money(read: taxes).
Yeah. That's a point I didn't think of, I was just brainstorming.

Quote:
Wait, so you're saying the woman whose birth control didn't work could get away with abortion anyway but that her punishment would be living with it? In the middle of an argument about legal limitations to abortion, your answer to a question you're asked is that she would suffer karmic/moral/ethical punishment in the form of living with it?
another good point, although it seems better than nothing.

Quote:
I don't think you're being dishonest in that, I really don't. I just don't think you understand how the things you're saying are contrary to that. I have an honest question for you: If, hypothetically speaking, men were the gender capable of carrying babies, if men got pregnant, would you be as comfortable in suggesting ideas/practices/laws that invade their privacy and impose your morals on them?
I probably would be less comfortable, yes, but I hope I would stick by my beliefs.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:31 PM   #374
Refugee

Oh btw I reread Martha's story and I get it now, I read the first part wrong. I didn't mean to call the first girl promiscuous.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:34 PM   #375
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:12 AM
Quote:
I probably would be less comfortable, yes, but I hope I would stick by my beliefs.
I usually stay out of abortion threads, but why would you be more comfortable imposing the consequences of your moral beliefs on women than men? I understand you were answering a specific question and I appreciate your honesty and your attempt to rethink what your position would be if it directly affected you and your sex, but your admission that you would be more comfortable since this is a woman thing than you would be if it were a man thing makes me a little uncomfortable--because the goal would be exactly the same. Would you clarify please? Why would it be more uncomfortable for you to stick with your beliefs?