Obama reverses abortion policy - Page 24 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-28-2009, 05:23 PM   #346
Refugee
 
The_Pac_Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,342
Local Time: 08:25 AM
Quote:
because a doctor is in a position to judge this?

i suppose he would know better than she would. girls often find math difficult.
ok that second part you really twisted my words. I mean that doctors shouldn't take the mother's word for it, because many would just say something to get an abortion when there wasn't a reason. I think the doctor should consult with others whose fields are in child support and finances
__________________

__________________
The_Pac_Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:25 PM   #347
Refugee
 
The_Pac_Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,342
Local Time: 08:25 AM
I like how no one recognizes the good or the reasons behind my idea.
__________________

__________________
The_Pac_Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:26 PM   #348
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,471
Local Time: 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
ok that second part you really twisted my words. I mean that doctors shouldn't take the mother's word for it, because many would just say something to get an abortion when there wasn't a reason. I think the doctor should consult with others whose fields are in child support and finances


don't doctors have other things to do?

what do you consider a "reason" to get an abortion, and who decides what is and what isn't a good reason for an abortion? are doctors the best people to decide this? if we're talking about rape, we're also going to be involving police officers and lawyers and potentially juries, right?

you're pretty clear that we can't take the mother's word for it, since she's not in any position to assess the actual "necessity" of her need for an abortion.

so let's hear it. who is going to decide this? a panel? one person?
__________________
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:26 PM   #349
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,471
Local Time: 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
I like how no one recognizes the good or the reasons behind my idea.


i'm asking you questions to get you to think about the reasons behind your ideas.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:27 PM   #350
Refugee
 
The_Pac_Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,342
Local Time: 08:25 AM
Quote:
so, now, every woman who wants an abortion is going to say they were raped.

does this strike you as a good idea?
They'd have to prove it in court.
__________________
The_Pac_Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:28 PM   #351
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,471
Local Time: 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
They'd have to prove it in court.


what if the case takes more than 9 months?
__________________
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:34 PM   #352
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,332
Local Time: 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
I like how no one recognizes the good or the reasons behind my idea.
Because your idea is neither good nor reasonable. You're incredibly anti-woman.
__________________
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:35 PM   #353
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,332
Local Time: 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
They'd have to prove it in court.
Go research how many rape cases actually:
1. are reported
2. are prosecuted
3. have the rapist convicted
4. get settle with in the first trimester of a pregnancy
__________________
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:36 PM   #354
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,332
Local Time: 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
I have a question for those who think forcing women to have children is such a barn-burner of an idea. Most of you will make an exception for those women who have been raped. How do you legally differentiate those circumstances? How does it work? How does the law separate the sluts form the victims?

For example:

Andrea is seventeen, and having sex regularly with her boyfriend. They use condoms, but one time the condom breaks and she ends up pregnant. She was a willing participant in the sex, so is unqualified to have her pregnancy terminated. Her plans to attend college for a decade and become a physician are terminated instead.

Betty is seventeen and a virgin, until the night her creepy uncle holds her down and rapes her while she cries and begs him to stop. She becomes pregnant as a result of his actions.

How do those of you who support abortion access in Betty's case differentiate between the slut and the victim? How does it work? How do you make sure that Andrea bears the child of her shame and Betty doesn't? What must Betty prove to you so you allow her access to abortion?
This question still stands for anyone else to attempt to answer.
__________________
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:37 PM   #355
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,732
Local Time: 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
I like how no one recognizes the good or the reasons behind my idea.
Um, maybe because they're not good? As for the reasons, only you can tell us that. But still, reasons behind illogical ideas aren't going to help, anyway.

For a reasoned statement on the matter written by a fellow pro-lifer, read this. He states very practical ways to reduce the number of abortions, and reading his post was very refreshing. He gets it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by coemgen View Post
I did a lot of independent research on this subject during the recent election and came to the firm conclusion that the Right Wing Republican way of dealing with the issue is simply wrong — and this is coming from someone who considers himself pro-life. The ironic truth is that if you want to see actual lives saved, the Democrats are where it's at.

This is true for two reasons, and they're tied together:

1. Poverty. According to numbers at Facts on Induced Abortion in the United States (numbers used by the National Right to Life), women living below the poverty level are four times more likely to have abortions. 75 percent of women who have abortions say at least one reason of doing so is because they feel they won't be able to afford the child (a true poverty, indeed).

Which party focuses on the poor? Which party caters to the wealthy? There's even a staggering truth to these numbers. Yes, abortion has been on the decline for years, but guess what president saw the largest decline in abortions? Clinton. (see chart years 1993-2000) Why? Because the Democrats tend to lift people out of poverty.

2. The second reason why the Democrats are saving lives is a new one. There's a sea change in the party on the issue. A. You have Obama, who even in "The Audacity of Hope," which was written years ago, said we must take a multi-pronged approach to reducing abortions — even though he's pro-choice. On its own, this is huge for a presidential candidate (now president) to say. B. Democrats for Life (yes, they exist) are gaining in numbers and influence and have an ambitious goal for reducing abortions by 95 percent in 10 years: Democrats For Life of America
C. The Democratic platform itself has been rewritten in part by two progressive pastors, Jim Wallis and Tony Campolo, to include a focus on abortion reduction: God's Politics - Jim Wallis blog, faith blog, religion, christian, christianity, politics, values
Again, on it's own, this is huge.

You add these three things up, and you get a movement, in my estimation at least. I'm excited about it. Even since becoming president, Obama has called for common ground on abortion. Again, things are changing: God's Politics: A Blog by Jim Wallis & Friends
__________________
VintagePunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:40 PM   #356
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,471
Local Time: 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
You're incredibly anti-woman.


you say anti-woman. others say pro-unborn American.

__________________
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:58 PM   #357
Refugee
 
AliEnvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,320
Local Time: 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
you say anti-woman. others say pro-unborn American.
In both cases in the current environment, woman simply can't be trusted.
__________________
AliEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:00 PM   #358
Refugee
 
The_Pac_Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,342
Local Time: 08:25 AM
Quote:
what if the case takes more than 9 months?
I said if a woman wants an abortion because of rape, she should should also need to go to court. Obviosuly people didn't read my post in its entirety, because I said she doens't have to wait for the case to end to get the abortion.

Quote:
This question still stands for anyone else to attempt to answer.
According to my idea, the girl who was raped could get an abortion, and would then prove to court she was raped. The promiscuous woman could get an abortion if she cried rape, but I doubt afterwards her case would stand up in court. and then she would have to live with that.

Quote:
Because your idea is neither good nor reasonable. You're incredibly anti-woman.
I most certainly am not. I was raised around women, I grew up with my mom and grandma without a father, and my mom has like 8 sisters. I hold great respect for women.
__________________
The_Pac_Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:02 PM   #359
Refugee
 
The_Pac_Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,342
Local Time: 08:25 AM
as a matter of fact I have more respect for women then I do most men.
__________________
The_Pac_Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:03 PM   #360
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,471
Local Time: 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
The promiscuous woman could get an abortion if she cried rape, but I doubt afterwards her case would stand up in court. and then she would have to live with that.


you know, even promiscuous women get raped.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com