Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2009, 08:50 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
just try and imagine how it feels in my place or any one else who is anti-abortion, when you go to pay your taxes...
What about the people who oppose the war or the use of torture. Or the funding of abstinance only sex education? How do you think they feel when they pay their taxes and know their money is going to fund this crap?

Old 01-23-2009, 08:52 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 09:52 AM
Quote:
My question is, Do you want a young, African woman who was raped or forced to marry an older man to die because she got sick during her pregnancy and can't afford an abortion? Do you want an African family to have a 6th child they can't afford, who could easily die of starvation before his or her 5th birthday, to have to be born into a world of nothing but suffering? Do you really consider either of those scenarios pro-life? What kind of lives are those?
Of course I don't want people to suffer. But its like choosing between whether Person #1 dies, or Persons #2, or even #3, and #4. Obviosuly you'd choose #1, but your still sentencing that #1 to death, and that's just a sickening decision I couldn't make. I guess that's the only way I can put it for you guys to understand...

Old 01-23-2009, 08:53 PM   #18
She's the One

Local Time: 06:52 AM
Quote:
just try and imagine how it feels in my place or any one else who is anti-abortion, when you go to pay your taxes...

Dude, you don't pay enough in taxes to fund anything this big. Pretend your tax dollars pay for any of the other shit you like.

Try to imagine how it felt to desperately need family planning information, but you couldn't get it because some fat rich fuck in the US Congress wanted to decide how much access you had to health care.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:54 PM   #19
She's the One

Local Time: 06:52 AM
Quote:
Of course I don't want people to suffer. But its like choosing between whether Person #1 dies, or Persons #2, or even #3, and #4. Obviosuly you'd choose #1, but your still sentencing that #1 to death, and that's just a sickening decision I couldn't make. I guess that's the only way I can put it for you guys to understand...

This doesn't even make any sense.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:55 PM   #20
Refugee

Everyone seems to be dragging Iraq into this thread for some reason, using it to bash me? I guess being anti abortion makes me pro-iraq war?
Old 01-23-2009, 08:57 PM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 02:52 PM
Exquisite timing in the same week as the release of U2's version of new millennium Girl Power
Old 01-23-2009, 08:57 PM   #22
Refugee

Quote:
This doesn't even make any sense.
I was referring to what someone said how having an unwanted could kill the mother or the how family if they ended up starving because of him/her.. If you think about it, it should make sense.

Im saying its killing a life to save a life...
Old 01-23-2009, 08:58 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

No, it's just the most obvious example of something that a lot of people didn't support but still got stuck footing the bill for.

Obama's policies toward women have been wonderful so far.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:58 PM   #24
Refugee

Quote:
Everyone seems to be dragging Iraq into this thread for some reason, using it to bash me? I guess being anti abortion makes me pro-iraq war?
or any of the other stuff people are accusing me of being?
Old 01-23-2009, 09:01 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I can understand the way you feel, for sure. Like I said earlier nobody wants to see abortions happen. They're not an ideal situation for anyone, and I don't think it's ever a decision that's made lightly. I personally don't think I could have one myself if I ever found myself pregnant before I was financially or otherwise ready. However, sometimes they're the only option a woman has. Women sometimes to get sick during their pregnancy, dangerously ill, so that they will die unless they abort the child. Sometimes a woman simply cannot afford to care for an infant or simply does not have the resources to do so. This is especially true in impoverished nations. Anti-choice(I don't use the term 'pro-life' because I think the connotation it gives off, that some people are anti-life, is ludicrous and offensive) individuals can talk all they want about adoption, but few of them step up to the plate and actually do something about it. Many of these children born into similar situations spend their childhood in overcrowded orphanages where there physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual needs aren't met. Everybody wants to see the number of abortions in the world reduced, but outlawing it or even making it too difficult to get one would be even more dangerous for women and childrens' health in the long run.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:01 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
or any of the other stuff people are accusing me of being?
i think the point is that virtually everyone's tax dollars help fund a program or policy that they do not approve of.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:06 PM   #27
Refugee

Quote:
Women sometimes to get sick during their pregnancy, dangerously ill, so that they will die unless they abort the child. Sometimes a woman simply cannot afford to care for an infant or simply does not have the resources to do so.
In the U.S., less than 2% of abortions are hardship cases...but I understand this in the 3rd world. I just think there are much better options. I mean, for a woman in africa being able to get an abortion seems like it will be a pretty expensive thing, either for her, or us tax payers. I think contraception education and such would be much cheaper and effective..
Old 01-23-2009, 09:08 PM   #28
Refugee

Quote:
Anti-choice(I don't use the term 'pro-life' because I think the connotation it gives off, that some people are anti-life, is ludicrous and offensive)
Well I don't like the term anti-choice. No one calles people anti-life, except radical right wingers, which I am not. I think the terms pro-choice and pro-life work because both satisfy the persons beliefs..
Old 01-23-2009, 09:08 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
In the U.S., less than 2% of abortions are hardship cases...but I understand this in the 3rd world. I just think there are much better options. I mean, for a woman in africa being able to get an abortion seems like it will be a pretty expensive thing, either for her, or us tax payers. I think contraception education and such would be much cheaper and effective..
Of course it would be better and cheaper.

But what role does a man need to play here? In many African nations, men have extremely negative views about condoms, and it has been extremely difficult to get compliance with many of them.

And remember, condoms are completely unaffordable for these people, and must be funded externally as well. So there is an associated cost, since there is no way the people can buy them.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:09 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
The Bush administration cut family planning and contraception funding off in large amounts both internationally and abroad, so that option hasn't flown either in the past 8 years.