Obama reverses abortion policy - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-26-2009, 06:58 PM   #211
Blue Crack Supplier
 
dazzledbylight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: in the sound dancing - w Bono & Edge :D
Posts: 33,002
Local Time: 01:30 AM



Finally some more freedom for women around the world!!!

... not to mention saving *some freedom for women Roe V Wade here in the USA via Supreme Court picks by President Obama !!! YES!!!

*
noting that ANTI-choice groups have whittled down access etc for poor & some of the teenagers over these 8 years


Elections DO have CONSEQUENCES!!!
__________________

__________________
dazzledbylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:17 PM   #212
Jesus Online
 
Angela Harlem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: a glass castle
Posts: 30,163
Local Time: 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliEnvy View Post
You've got to think that many more women would actually take the adoption route if it we made realistic attempts to alleviate the shame and guilt and made it more socially acceptable.
Adoption is like abortion in that it is not a reality until it is a reality. How many women suddenly realise they could never abort when they see the heartbeat for the first time? How many women realise they cannot actually hand over their baby when they've given birth and look into the scrunched up little face for the first time? We cannot base laws solely on informed or uninformed human emotion. Laws must be based on a practical societal need for control of the issue. There cannot be the choice of only safe sex or adoption. It is simply insufficient. The options must be there so that each individual can make her choice if and when the time arises.
__________________

__________________
<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/angelaharlem/thPaul_Roos28.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aul_Roos28.jpg</a>
Angela Harlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:43 PM   #213
Refugee
 
AliEnvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,320
Local Time: 06:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela Harlem View Post
Adoption is like abortion in that it is not a reality until it is a reality. How many women suddenly realise they could never abort when they see the heartbeat for the first time? How many women realise they cannot actually hand over their baby when they've given birth and look into the scrunched up little face for the first time?
Exactly. How do you choose between the lesser of two evils? Every woman in that situation has to freely decide that for herself. What I'm suggesting is, perhaps there are ways to encourage (not enforce!) adoption as an option.
__________________
AliEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:15 PM   #214
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,335
Local Time: 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliEnvy View Post
Exactly. How do you choose between the lesser of two evils? Every woman in that situation has to freely decide that for herself. What I'm suggesting is, perhaps there are ways to encourage (not enforce!) adoption as an option.
That might require federally funded health care. You know: socialism. :gasp:
__________________
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:30 PM   #215
Refugee
 
The_Pac_Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,342
Local Time: 01:30 AM
Quote:
What I also don't get is how people automatically assume when you're pro abortion it means you're pro abortion anytime during the pregnancy.
In Europe it's legal the first.. 32?weeks? That's the time it takes for a bunch of cells to grow into a foetus who has functions like a human being.
Ofcourse I don't think a full grown baby should be aborted.
I agree. Unfortunately, the law in america you can get an abortion at any time you want for any reason, even if it's a day before when the baby would be born.

Quote:
Plus, if they were raped, they wouldn't want to keep the child.
thats not always true, and adoption is still an option...regardless of whether they have the right to abort or not, I think its heroic when mother have their children when most people would have otherwise aborted. My friend whose 15 gave birth to a healthy boy a while ago.

Quote:
Or if that baby was shown to have some sort of birth defect.
To be honest, I think it's really sick when someone gets an abortion because they find out the baby has something like say Down Syndrome.

Quote:
One of my cousins got pregnant at age 12, and because their parents don't believe in abortion, she was forced to keep the baby. She had to drop out of school and raise it by herself. Because she was forced to keep it, she'll never go to college, much less finish middle school.
That is pretty sad. However what was she doing having sex at age 12??
__________________
The_Pac_Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:37 PM   #216
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,335
Local Time: 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
I agree. Unfortunately, the law in america you can get an abortion at any time you want for any reason, even if it's a day before when the baby would be born.



CITE
A
SOURCE

just one.
__________________
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:50 PM   #217
Refugee
 
The_Pac_Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,342
Local Time: 01:30 AM
Quote:
CITE
A
SOURCE

just one.
haha ok, I just though everyone knew that

since I don't want to look to far, I cite wikipedia

Legend:
Yes - Legal
No - Illegal
1st - Legal during 1st trimester only (exact date – e.g. number of weeks – may vary)
2nd - Legal during 1st and 2nd trimester only (exact date may vary)
Restricted - Legal but subject to significant restrictions
Varies - Varies by region
? - Information is unavailable or the law is too ambiguous

[Categories]
To protect woman's life, Physical health, Mental health, Rape, Fetal defects, Socio-economic factors, On request

United States (details): Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes

key words, "on request," you don't need a reason, and you can get it any time you want.

Abortion law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most countries have "on request" as illegal, or only 1st trimester, not us though
__________________
The_Pac_Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:52 PM   #218
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,684
Local Time: 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
I agree. Unfortunately, the law in america you can get an abortion at any time you want for any reason, even if it's a day before when the baby would be born.
You may want to research this a little and not just take the "facts" they give you at these marches, those people are notorious for lying and not knowing the facts.

That being said, what if the fetus is threatening the woman's life? Wouldn't late term be acceptable?


Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
To be honest, I think it's really sick when someone gets an abortion because they find out the baby has something like say Down Syndrome.
But what if it's something else, something that will cause the child extreme pain for a short few months of life?
__________________
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:58 PM   #219
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 01:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
thats not always true, and adoption is still an option...regardless of whether they have the right to abort or not, I think its heroic when mother have their children when most people would have otherwise aborted. My friend whose 15 gave birth to a healthy boy a while ago.
Who gives a damn if you think it's heroic? Do you realize how much effort it takes to carry around a child for nine months? That's something people choose to do. If it's not chosen, and is forced upon you, most, if not all women, would choose an abortion in that case.

Thus, your argument holds absolutely no value in this discussion over the law.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:02 PM   #220
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 01:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
To be honest, I think it's really sick when someone gets an abortion because they find out the baby has something like say Down Syndrome.
But there's a whole range of genetic disorders to consider. I would deliver a child with Down syndrome. I don't think I could deliver a baby with something like Tay-Sachs (assuming I knew with prenatal testing...though I'd bet all my material possessions I don't carry Tay-Sachs). I can't really say either way having never been IN these situations (funny how that works....) but I've told my husband I'd like to think that I would have the strength NOT to put an infant through an excruciating, and yes certain death.
__________________
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #221
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
thats not always true, and adoption is still an option...regardless of whether they have the right to abort or not, I think its heroic when mother have their children when most people would have otherwise aborted. My friend whose 15 gave birth to a healthy boy a while ago.
It will be even more heroic when she has no choice in the matter.
__________________
A_Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:09 PM   #222
Refugee
 
The_Pac_Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,342
Local Time: 01:30 AM
Quote:
You may want to research this a little and not just take the "facts" they give you at these marches, those people are notorious for lying and not knowing the facts.

That being said, what if the fetus is threatening the woman's life? Wouldn't late term be acceptable?
you can get an abortion at any time you want, there isnt really any laws that restrict it at all. I've looked up these facts. If the mother is threatened sure, but as the law is right now anyone can get an abortion in the third trimester for any reason.

Quote:
But what if it's something else, something that will cause the child extreme pain for a short few months of life?
thats true, but I'm referring to disorders that don't cause the child to suffer per say. But with your point then I guess theres nothing we can do to make laws.

Quote:
Who gives a damn if you think it's heroic? Do you realize how much effort it takes to carry around a child for nine months? That's something people choose to do. If it's not chosen, and is forced upon you, most, if not all women, would choose an abortion in that case.

Thus, your argument holds absolutely no value in this discussion over the law.
yes of course its hard to bear a child, but I wasn't making an argument, I was simply telling about a teen who chose to have her child. I don't want everyone to try and counterargue it, because theres nothing to counterargue.
__________________
The_Pac_Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:10 PM   #223
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 01:30 AM
OMG, please stop posting the word heroic!

For me this is not even about this situation or that situation or what is the lesser of two evils....this is about a private, confidential, medical decision that should be made between a patient and a doctor, period. What's next? No more tubals or hysterectomies because women can't be reproductive slaves?

If someone wants to abort their baby that's between her and her doctor and that's on HER conscience. Let it go already...
__________________
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #224
Refugee
 
The_Pac_Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,342
Local Time: 01:30 AM
Quote:
It will be even more heroic when she has no choice in the matter.

actually her parents wanted her to abort but she said no.
__________________
The_Pac_Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:13 PM   #225
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 01:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post


yes of course its hard to bear a child, but I wasn't making an argument, I was simply telling about a teen who chose to have her child. I don't want everyone to try and counterargue it, because theres nothing to counterargue.
Then what you're saying supports it being a choice, doesn't it?
__________________

__________________
phillyfan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com