Obama reverses abortion policy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^ If it's the moral status of life in utero that makes abortion 'murder' for you, then why would you make exceptions for rape or incest? They're not the fetus' doing; either it innately possesses the right to live save for threatening death or grave bodily harm to its mother, or it doesn't.

Because the reality is that, like war, whether murder is murder or not, sometimes all we have is the lesser of two evils. I'll never forget the story of a woman who was gang-raped in Rwanda and who was impregnated. For her, bringing the baby to term was the way of redeeming that horrific experience. I applaud that mentality, but the lines get very murky there, and I don't believe in telling someone who has been raped that she must now bring the child to term. It's not an Absolutist thing, because life is rarely absolute.

speaking of particular moral visions, you almost seem to be adopting the classic Catholic stance here: that perpetual openness to the possibility of conception is morally incumbent on anyone sexually active

Again, you seem to be trying to create an absolute where none exists. I don't believe that sexual activity is only for procreation (I tend to agree with the Protestant perspective that sexuality is a gift for each other), but you can't ignore the reality that it's a both/and. Sexuality is both a gift for marriage AND a pathway to parenthood. You can't ignore the one without the other.

Are you joking?

As far as I know there's a very big difference. because in the first place, the woman is actually partially to blame for the pregnancy.
The other two are forced.

That was my point, Galeongirl. I was just curious if anyone else saw it too.

other than making yourself feel righteous, what's the point of using the term "muder" in this situation.

Because it's what it is, Irvine. This isn't about feeling self-righteous. It's about reminding us -- myself included, incidentally -- that what is happening is a tragedy. There are all kinds of reasons for it, and there is no simple way to deal with it (I'm in agreement with the links Coemgen posted -- I've liked Campolo since I first read him in college), but it doesn't lessen the reality or the tragedy.

I'm also in complete agreement with those who point out rightly that there are a variety of socio-economic factors at play here, which is why I've been frustrated for years by those who see abortion on its own as the problem to be stopped.

But we mustn't forget the cost at the heart of this.

Time to bounce -- on deadline, so looks like I'm heading back into the underground -- but thanks all as usual for a spirited discussion. Thought-provoking to be sure.

Babies do tend to result from sex, Irvine.

so the baby is a punishment? i might say that a child might be a result of sex (sometimes), or that pregnancy is a consequence, but a punishment? forcing someone to carry a child to term against her will is clearly punative, is it not?

also, not for me.

Because it's what it is, Irvine. This isn't about feeling self-righteous. It's about reminding us -- myself included, incidentally -- that what is happening is a tragedy.

i think we can view an unwanted pregnancy as a tragedy without resorting to calling a mother who aborts a murderer.

it seems that your calling it "what it is," nathan, is clearly faulty. if it's murder, then the only responsible thing to do is to punish the murderer. but you don't seem to want to do that, do you?

Babies do tend to result from sex, Irvine.

the overwhelming majority of the time sex does not result in babies, or to say it better - conception - conception that will even lead to a healthy birth

and there are babies that are conceived and born without sex.

would you say eating leads to obesity ?

the overwhelming majority of the time sex does not result in babies, or to say it better - conception - conception that will even lead to a healthy birth

to take this one step further, i don't think it's the actual condition of being pregnant that causes a woman to choose to abort. it's the circumstance around her pregnancy that informs her decision. i'll point back to my two friends -- neither of their pregnancies were planned, but they were very easily able to have a baby, and they wanted a baby, and so they are having (and have had) their babies.

^ I think that is true but without going into too much detail I have been told by someone in a situation where having a child and raising it would not be a big deal (as far as finances, family support, spouse) but was told that abortion would be considered. Now I've never been pregnant so I can't really understand this myself, but for some women being pregnant is akin to torture (mostly mentally/emotionally). Even my own mother told me that she always wanted 4 kids, she could have easily raised 4 kids, but her pregnancies were so bad and the postpartem depression especially was so bad that it was the reason she stopped at three (I was absolutely shocked to learn this, my mom loves kids and every job she's ever had from retail to daycare to adoption agencies has revolved around children/babies, she is a very down-to-earth person and I cannot picture her being depressed, in all honestly it does have me quite concerned for my own probably pregnancies). That is two women I love, trust, and respect...two women who are responsible adults who HAVE raised multiple children...who have told me that they could not go through with another pregnancy. In both cases, abortion never was considered or necessary because of other means. But there again, tubal ligations and vasectomies are not cheap or widely available if you are in the situation of being a young woman in an impoverished country or place where you probably don't have rights to even ask your spouse/parter for those options.

the best thing would be for sexual relations and conception

to be seen and accepted as two separate things

eating does not have to result in obesity or even weight gain

some people may choose to eat in a manner that will cause them to gain weight, some people may eat in a manner that causes them to lose weight

when someone becomes obese, do people say - you really should just abstain from eating, abstinence is best :up:

^ I think that is true but without going into too much detail I have been told by someone in a situation where having a child and raising it would not be a big deal (as far as finances, family support, spouse) but was told that abortion would be considered. Now I've never been pregnant so I can't really understand this myself, but for some women being pregnant is akin to torture (mostly mentally/emotionally). Even my own mother told me that she always wanted 4 kids, she could have easily raised 4 kids, but her pregnancies were so bad and the postpartem depression especially was so bad that it was the reason she stopped at three (I was absolutely shocked to learn this, my mom loves kids and every job she's ever had from retail to daycare to adoption agencies has revolved around children/babies, she is a very down-to-earth person and I cannot picture her being depressed, in all honestly it does have me quite concerned for my own probably pregnancies). That is two women I love, trust, and respect...two women who are responsible adults who HAVE raised multiple children...who have told me that they could not go through with another pregnancy. In both cases, abortion never was considered or necessary because of other means. But there again, tubal ligations and vasectomies are not cheap or widely available if you are in the situation of being a young woman in an impoverished country or place where you probably don't have rights to even ask your spouse/parter for those options.

That goes to illustrate that every person/situation is unique, and as such, no one should be allowed to make that decision for another.

I see that Nathan has been tossing the word "murder" around, as I've often heard pro life people do. The thing is, murder is a legal term defined in part by the phrase "an unlawful killing." The fact is, it many countries, abortion is not illegal, hence, it's simply not murder, as much as they'd like to appeal to emotion by calling it that.

coemgen, kudos to you for your post. You're obviously looking at practical matters in the situation. I think we can all agree here that the ideal is to reduce the need for abortion, and yours is one of the most thoughtful stances from the pro life side I've ever read. :up:

In all of the "should abortion be allowed" scenarios I've read here, one thing that's not been addressed is contraceptive failure. There are times that pregnancies result, despite responsible efforts the couple have made to prevent it.

I see that Nathan has been tossing the word "murder" around, as I've often heard pro life people do. The thing is, murder is a legal term defined in part by the phrase "an unlawful killing."

Oh, since "murder" means an unlawful killing, I guess that makes things like captial punishment and abortion perfectly moral. The laws in our country aren't the greatest moral compass, I'm not saying that we have a lot of bad laws, but don't base your moral beliefs on what the laws are.

Oh, since "murder" means an unlawful killing, I guess that makes things like captial punishment and abortion perfectly moral. The laws in our country aren't the greatest moral compass, I'm not saying that we have a lot of bad laws, but don't base your moral beliefs on what the laws are.

I didn't say that I do. I simply said that by legal definition, it's not murder, and that use of that word is a common emotional appeal made by pro lifers.

How is any of that statement incorrect?

I didn't say that I do. I simply said that by legal definition,

by legal definition or literal definition or any other fair definition of the word

one might say, "he murdered that bottle of scotch"
ok, figuratively speaking, "Listerine murders bad breath germs by the millions"

Once someone uses the phrase 'abortion is murder'.

I just take pause. I realize if I continue, I will be having a conversion with someone that is:

a. speaking from emotion, not facts
b. uninformed on the definition of murder
c. not very open to discussion on the topic

any or all of these can apply

you'll get no argument from me that those who are opposed to abortion but support the death penalty haven't done any thinking at all.

Because the reality is that, like war, whether murder is murder or not, sometimes all we have is the lesser of two evils. I'll never forget the story of a woman who was gang-raped in Rwanda and who was impregnated. For her, bringing the baby to term was the way of redeeming that horrific experience.

isn't the powerful thing here the fact that she chose to have the baby?

you'll get no argument from me that those who are opposed to abortion but support the death penalty haven't done any thinking at all.

I would not cede this much
so if you admit it is wrong to kill (even convicted murderers)
why do you think it is ok to take a human life, that has not been charged with anything, yet alone found guilty?

I see that Nathan has been tossing the word "murder" around, as I've often heard pro life people do. The thing is, murder is a legal term defined in part by the phrase "an unlawful killing."

There is a much more basic reason why at least in Canada, it's not murder, and that is that the first step in establishing murder, of any degree, is to show that there has been a death of a human being.

Because the reality is that, like war, whether murder is murder or not, sometimes all we have is the lesser of two evils...the lines get very murky there, and I don't believe in telling someone who has been raped that she must now bring the child to term.
The very essence of war is reciprocal mass killing and destruction as a (hopefully) last-resort means of resolving who's going to get the upper hand in a conflict. And because that's the nature of war, when analyzing it ethically, we conventionally start from the assumption that each party to the conflict legitimately construes the other as a mortal enemy, wherefore the usual restrictions imposed (and enforced) on killing by civil society don't apply: even killings of innocents (civilians) in the course of strikes against the other party's organized combatants aren't classified or prosecuted as war crimes, so long as civilians weren't intentionally targeted and the customary precautions prescribed by the laws of war (e.g. Hague Conventions) to minimize civilian deaths were taken. Now, if you personally wanted to advocate a doctrinal-pacifist stance--that all killing, period, is and must be treated as 'murder' ; or that all killing short of self-defense against a direct, immediate threat to the killer's life is and must be treated as 'murder'--then fine, but you'd better be prepared to be consistent in applying that. To insist that, yes, all or most killings occuring in war must rightly be categorized as 'murders'--but then to turn around and say 'We shouldn't prosecute them though, because war's murky and I believe in giving soldiers the benefit of the doubt that those killings were the lesser of two evils'--would completely destroy the integrity of your argument. Either you really believe it's 'murder'--which all jurisdictions, including ours, count among the most heinous of all crimes, deserving of the harshest available punishment--or you don't. (And yes, this applies to anyone who was blithely analogizing Iraq to abortion for rhetorical purposes, which would not include me.)

In any case, aborting a pregnancy is not analogous to killing in war; there is no reciprocal mortal threat involved, save for cases where medical complications directly threaten the mother's life--and even that would be questionable as justification for 'homicide' in response, since the 'victim' in question (assuming you ascribe moral and legal personhood to fetuses) couldn't possibly have intended those complications, nor caused them through 'criminal recklessness.' A woman who tracked down her rapist after the fact and killed him would indeed be convicted of murder (or at the very least voluntary manslaughter) in our legal system, so what sense does it make to say that the 'murder' of a fetus conceived through rape--a crime in which it couldn't possibly have been a participant --should not only be permitted, but furthermore not prosecuted?
Again, you seem to be trying to create an absolute where none exists.
No, you're creating an absolute by asserting that abortion is 'murder' and as such should be illegal--it's just that you're then undermining yourself by granting illogical exceptions (i.e., permissible in cases of rape or incest; not actually prosecutable as murder in any case) which call the integrity of your argument severely into question. Simply put, you cannot categorically declare some particular type of act to be 'murder,' but then turn around and say nonetheless it should not be punished as murder, and in fact should be openly permitted in some cases. That defeats the purpose of even having the offense type 'murder.'
I don't believe that sexual activity is only for procreation (I tend to agree with the Protestant perspective that sexuality is a gift for each other), but you can't ignore the reality that it's a both/and. Sexuality is both a gift for marriage AND a pathway to parenthood.
Yes of course it's both, but when you're specifically seeking to attach legal implications to that, you need to be consistent in applying the principle thus given legal form and force. As I implied in my preceding post, it really doesn't make sense to begin with to take the precise circumstances of impregnation into account when determining whether a given abortion is 'murder,' since the 'murder victim' in question is inherently innocent of any crime, and in any case whatever crime might've been involved in the act of impregnation is over and done with by the time abortion is even a possibility. But for the sake of argument, if I were to accept the premise that the mere fact of sex having a reproductive aspect somehow yields a legal obligation to accept the possibility of children as a consequence of all voluntary sexual intercourse, then logically that premise applies to contraception too, because the express purpose of contraception is the evasion of said obligation. I'm not saying that would logically make contracepting 'murder'--that would be a separate question, involving consideration of the precise means through which various contraceptives work--but it would logically make it a crime. But, again, the fact that you're even trying to bring the circumstances of impregnation to bear on the question of whether abortion is 'murder' to begin with calls the stated motives and reasoning behind your case for criminalizing abortion into question.
Time to bounce -- on deadline, so looks like I'm heading back into the underground -- but thanks all as usual for a spirited discussion. Thought-provoking to be sure.
:up:

Last edited:
There is a much more basic reason why at least in Canada, it's not murder, and that is that the first step in establishing murder, of any degree, is to show that there has been a death of a human being.

I actually had a couple of lines about that very point in my original post, but deleted them, imagining the responses I'd get.

I would not cede this much
so if you admit it is wrong to kill (even convicted murderers)
why do you think it is ok to take a human life, that has not been charged with anything, yet alone found guilty?

a fetus is not a human being.

At what point is this decided though?

that's a fair question, and one that i don't think anyone can really answer -- what is a "human being"? at what points do we have rights?

some might think the answer to that is when a child breathes his first breath, some might say it's when a fetus is viable independent of the mother.

ultimately, i think the consensus position at present is that a fetus is not a person certainly within the first trimester.

At what point is this decided though?

The fetus in the first trimester is not sentient life. It is alive in the same way a plant is alive. It can't feel anything. Late-term abortions are a different thing, but for early abortions, the fetus doesn't feel anything.

The fetus in the first trimester is not sentient life. It is alive in the same way a plant is alive. It can't feel anything. Late-term abortions are a different thing, but for early abortions, the fetus doesn't feel anything.

Maybe you're right on that. I honestly don't know. I do know the heartbeat starts at 22 days roughly, and brainwaves aren't far behind that. I think I remember hearing six weeks for that. When these stop, we consider a human being dead. Plants don't have heartbeats and brainwaves. Many women don't even know they're pregnant at this stage.

drawing the line is difficult

there are some no brainers, though

a sperm penetrating an egg is not a human

those that say humans begin at conception and want to draw the line there are wrong
with that aregument they want to refuse RU486 to a rape victim, on the grouds that it is murder - thay are just flat-out 100% wrong

The other thing, too — and I'm just throwing this out there, is if a pregnant woman is murdered, the killer is charged with two deaths. Maybe this is different in different states, but why is it considered a life in that scenario and not in that of abortion? What makes it different? The mother's deisre for it to continue?

The other thing, too — and I'm just throwing this out there, is if a pregnant woman is murdered, the killer is charged with two deaths. Maybe this is different in different states, but why is it considered a life in that scenario and not in that of abortion? What makes it different? The mother's deisre for it to continue?

Abortion is the choice of the mother. Only the mother can legally make the decision to have an abortion. Someone else just killing the baby in the act of killing the mother has obviously committed an unlawful act, and because it is unlawful, it is murder.

Anyway, it is more symbolic than anything in else in your scenario. If the person is charged with killing the mother and gets convicted, he probably gets life in prison, so charging him additionally with the baby's murder serves no practical purpose.

Back
Top Bottom