Obama General Discussion, vol. 5 - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:23 AM
If you know anyone graduating from college this month you know what a thriving job market Obama has produced.

Right Irvine, kids getting out of college would be so much better off we only borrowed and spent even more money adding to their debt burden.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #77
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
If you know anyone graduating from college this month you know what a thriving job market Obama has produced.
Ah yes, the famous JOBS, JOBS, JOBS ambition that the Republicans said they would focus on. Hmm, what kind of jobs bills did they actually produce? And of course, any initiative from the president would be taken up for consideration right away...

Old 05-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

This sputtering recovery is in spite of Obama, if the government just got out of the way...
Old 05-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #79
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:23 PM
Quote:
This sputtering recovery is in spite of Obama, if the government just got out of the way...

This is the exact opposite of reality.

It is. I have no idea what planet you're living on anymore.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #80
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Right Irvine, kids getting out of college would be so much better off we only borrowed and spent even more money adding to their debt burden.

You realize that the unemployment rate for people with a BA is 3.7%.

http://m.theatlantic.com/business/ar...ercent/272779/
Old 05-05-2013, 03:02 AM   #81
Blue Crack Supplier

The government needs to get out of the way while creating jobs. Well, no wonder the Obama administration is failing in your eyes, you're expecting one guy (in a system that is not built around the sole word of that one guy) to be responsible for fixing things while keeping out of it at the same time.

And 5 months is 21 weeks, which is still pretty much a zero percent chance of survivability base on your own copy and paste chart. And you can absolutely throw out that small sliver of viability completely if they're born outside of a medical facility. I've never subscribed to the belief that life begins at conception, but I find it very hard to imagine someone believing that after they looked a translucent 21 week old fetus in the eye (figuratively of course, because they can't open their eyes at that point) and still think that's a person.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Many don't seem to realize that it is not just the economy to blame for job woes. The whole market has changed. It's no longer what you're capable of, it is how innovative you can be to advance a company. Finding a job no longer requires to simply submit a resume, it requires networking and using social media like LinkedIn and even Twitter in some cases. Technology has changed the way to do business and if you don't have working knowledge of some of them, you'll be passed over. Many are unaware of this, based on what I've seen at job hunting seminars. Maybe the economy led to these changes, but technology certainly played a role.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

41% of college grads overqualified for what they do - Apr. 30, 2013

Quote:
41% of college grads overqualified for what they do

By Chris Isidore @CNNMoney May 1, 2013

A survey out Tuesday found that 41% of college graduates from the last two years are stuck in jobs that don't require a degree.

Consulting firm Accenture talked to 1,005 students who graduated from college in 2011 and 2012 and haven't returned to graduate school. In addition to those who are underemployed, 11% said they are unemployed, with 7% reporting they haven't had a job since graduating.

The lack of job options in their chosen fields are weighing grads down, as nearly half of the recent graduates believe they would fare better in the job market if they'd pursued a different major.
Now if you really want to know who has the low unemployment rates:
Table A-14. Unemployed persons by industry and class of worker, not seasonally adjusted

Quote:
Government workers:
April 2012 - 3.7%
April 2013 - 3.3%
Old 05-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #84
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
You realize that the unemployment rate for people with a BA is 3.7%.
I have two BS degrees (one in chemistry and the other one in chemical engineering) and one graduate degree (in medical technology). A few years ago, I was fired by an unfair, vicious micro-manager. To this day, I still can't find another job- despite sending over 200 applications, using LinkedIn, working with recruiters, and reconnecting with former co-workers.

But recently, one of my classmates in grad school (who just happens to be a cute, 23-year-old Polish girl) landed a permanent, full-time job as a blood banker at a clinical laboratory. This girl lacks quite a bit of experience to cross-match blood. But the laboratory consists of all woman, and they chose to hire her over me because she is "more likeable".

IDK, but hiring practices these days are just so fucked up.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:57 PM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK-79 View Post
I have two BS degrees (one in chemistry and the other one in chemical engineering) and one graduate degree (in medical technology). A few years ago, I was fired by an unfair, vicious micro-manager. To this day, I still can't find another job- despite sending over 200 applications, using LinkedIn, working with recruiters, and reconnecting with former co-workers.

But recently, one of my classmates in grad school (who just happens to be a cute, 23-year-old Polish girl) landed a permanent, full-time job as a blood banker at a clinical laboratory. This girl lacks quite a bit of experience to cross-match blood. But the laboratory consists of all woman, and they chose to hire her over me because she is "more likeable".

IDK, but hiring practices these days are just so fucked up.
I agree, and I said what I said earlier to explain the job market and hiring process these days.

It is all fucked up and there's so much bull going around. What I really hate is when you go for an interview or even a second interview - and no one has the courtesy to send you an email to let you know they won't be hiring you. Not even a mass email to all they interviewed. How rude and inconsiderate. Is it really that hard to have an assistant or intern to type up a quick email?

As for turning to others for help, I'm also pissed. Either former co-workers or classmates don't respond, or they bullshit me. Is it really that hard to be honest? They can't say, sorry I don't know anyone who is hiring right now? But no, they say, oh yes I may know someone, I'll let you know.

Sorry for the rant. I have an MA in journalism but I've been working as a receptionist at a law firm for a year. I'm freelancing on the side, but I'm worried about my future. I'm not paid a decent salary, and my job has no growth. I'm doing all I can to get another job with better pay, growth and where my skills fit, but nothing. I'm so upset. Anyway, sorry for the rant.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:48 PM   #86
Blue Crack Supplier

Wow, a "study" of 1000 people by Accenture?

That's a really great link you just Googled.

Quote:
Now if you really want to know who has the low unemployment rates:
Table A-14. Unemployed persons by industry and class of worker, not seasonally adjusted

And ...?
Old 05-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #87
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Beyond education, the nation has also been less aggressive than some others in using counseling and retraining to help the jobless find work. To take one small example, a recent study in France by the renowned M.I.T. economist Esther Duflo and four colleagues found that placement programs for unemployed workers helped not only the workers but the economy too. The counseled workers were more likely to find work, and they did not simply take jobs from other candidates. Overall employment rose more quickly in the regions with job counseling.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/05/su...cans.html?_r=0
Old 05-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #88
Blue Crack Addict

Huffington Post

The Committee to Protect Journalists condemned the Obama administration's media investigations on two fronts on Tuesday.

The CPJ board sent a letter to Attorney General Eric Holder and Deputy Attorney General James Cole protesting the Justice Department's secret probe into the Associated Press. The board--whose members include Christiane Amanpour, Lara Logan, Tom Brokaw, Victor Navasky, Michael Massing and the Huffington Post Media Group's editor-in-chief, Arianna Huffington--said that it was doing something rare:

Our board of directors rarely has seen the need to raise its collective voice against U.S. government actions that threaten newsgathering. Today, however, we do see that need: We write you to vigorously protest the secret seizing of phone records of The Associated Press. The overly broad scope of the secret subpoena and the lack of notification to the AP by the Justice Department represent a damaging setback for press freedom in the United States.

The CPJ added that the Justice Department had "set a terrible example for the rest of the world, where governments routinely justify intervention in the media by citing national security." The letter also demanded, as the AP has, that any materials obtained in the DOJ probe be returned immediately to the AP.

In a separate release, the CPJ said it was "alarmed" at the Justice Department's secret investigation into Fox News reporter James Rosen.

"U.S. government efforts to prosecute leakers by obtaining information from journalists has a chilling effect domestically and sends a terrible message to journalists around the world who are fighting to resist government intrusion," CPJ head Joel Simon said in a statement.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Although I voted for Obama last time around and would have no problem with a legitimate, court-ordered (with an overview process) with something other than a fishing expedition purpose, much of the overreach of this administration in regard to citizen surveillance and the press (ie the AP) is more than troubling to me.

I hated it with Bush. I hate it with Obama. While you can make a case that these are security issues, you can make an equal case that it allows the administration information it can use in ways much less defensible.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/07/us...s.html?hp&_r=0
Old 06-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #90
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:23 AM

Actress arrested in ricin letters sent to Obama, Bloomberg