Obama General Discussion, vol. 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So has god already injected it with life syrum at that point, Indy? Or does the life syrum come right at the beginning? Something tells me you think it's the latter. Why do you point out characteristics of a fetus in the 5th month then? Surely that makes no difference to you

I also love how you choose the completely arbitrary length of the birth canal, because your reasoning is so rudimentary that, by virtue of having the word 'birth' in it, it carries some sort of emotional resonance with you

Like VAST majority. Except in those areas where people can't get safe, legal abortions. Then they tend to trend later in the pregnancy.

and often for severe medical issues.

sadly, and it's tough for the anti-choice folk to swallow, but sluts really don't be walking around at 7 months pregnant and pass a Planned Parenthood clinic and be like, "shoot, i knew there was something i been meaning to get to."

Indy doesn't actually care if it's 5 months or 5 weeks. He's being disingenuous

What many pro-lifers don't seem to understand is that pro-choice supporters are not gung-ho for abortion. They know it is a sad, devastating decision, and is not made easily. I'm uneasy about abortion myself, and wish some women would choose to put their child up for adoption. Of course, if her life were danger or rape happened, I won't hold back.

But in the past year, with all these radical pro-lifers arguing for laws that will allow legitimate miscarriages to be investigated, determining life begins before conception (An Arizona lawmaker actually said that), and this crazy crap from Congressional candidates Akin, Murdock and even Santorum, has made me side more with pro-choicers and more adamant to say, "it's a woman's right to choose - stay away!"

What many pro-lifers don't seem to understand is that pro-choice supporters are not gung-ho for abortion. They know it is a sad, devastating decision, and is not made easily. I'm uneasy about abortion myself, and wish some women would choose to put their child up for adoption. Of course, if her life were danger or rape happened, I won't hold back.

But in the past year, with all these radical pro-lifers arguing for laws that will allow legitimate miscarriages to be investigated, determining life begins before conception (An Arizona lawmaker actually said that), and this crazy crap from Congressional candidates Akin, Murdock and even Santorum, has made me side more with pro-choicers and more adamant to say, "it's a woman's right to choose - stay away!"

Abortion is a perfect example of most people being somewhere in the middle with extremists ON BOTH ENDS, making the most noise and often policy. Do you think most people who describe themselves as Pro-choice understand the extremism that goes on in the name of their cause?
A Democratic Party Platform that supports a woman's "right" to an abortion in virtually any case with no language excepting partial-birth abortions, other kinds of late-term abortions or abortion for sex-selection of the child. A platform calling for tax-funded abortion. A platform that even stripped out language that was included in the past that stated abortion should be "rare."

Do you think most Pro-choice people would argue and vote against a law that sought to protect "the right to life" of a baby accidentally delivered during an abortion as Barack Obama did as a state senator?

I choose 5 months because that is the point of likely fetal viability outside the womb. The point advances with every passing decade however.

Completed weeks of Gestation at birth-chance of survival
21 and less -- 0%
22 -- 0-10%
23 -- 10-35%
24 -- 40-70%
25 -- 50-80%
26 -- 80-90%
27 -->90%
30 -->95%
34 -->98%

Along with neonatal surgery, it's simply miraculous the advances we've made since Roe V Wade but according to our nuanced president any legal or bioethical revisiting of abortion laws written in the 70's is to “turn back the clock to policies more suited to the 1950's than the 21st Century."

The is no monopoly for "crazy crap" on this issue.

Being pro-choice is anti-extremist. It's like secularism -- by definition it cannot be extreme.

The problem is the framework. INDY follows the preachings of the Laura Ingrahams, Limbaughs, and Becks of the world and they ALL frame pro-choice as people who encourage, promote, and want more abortions. And folks fall for this line of thinking, so the "extremist" comments are not surprising.

Abortion is a perfect example of most people being somewhere in the middle with extremists ON BOTH ENDS, making the most noise and often policy. Do you think most people who describe themselves as Pro-choice understand the extremism that goes on in the name of their cause?
A Democratic Party Platform that supports a woman's "right" to an abortion in virtually any case with no language excepting partial-birth abortions, other kinds of late-term abortions or abortion for sex-selection of the child. A platform calling for tax-funded abortion. A platform that even stripped out language that was included in the past that stated abortion should be "rare."

Do you think most Pro-choice people would argue and vote against a law that sought to protect "the right to life" of a baby accidentally delivered during an abortion as Barack Obama did as a state senator?

I choose 5 months because that is the point of likely fetal viability outside the womb. The point advances with every passing decade however.

Completed weeks of Gestation at birth-chance of survival
21 and less -- 0%
22 -- 0-10%
23 -- 10-35%
24 -- 40-70%
25 -- 50-80%
26 -- 80-90%
27 -->90%
30 -->95%
34 -->98%

Along with neonatal surgery, it's simply miraculous the advances we've made since Roe V Wade but according to our nuanced president any legal or bioethical revisiting of abortion laws written in the 70's is to “turn back the clock to policies more suited to the 1950's than the 21st Century."

The is no monopoly for "crazy crap" on this issue.

What are you even talking about?

oh noes!!!!

The U.S. economy added 165,000 jobs in April, according to an initial Bureau of Labor Statistics report, slightly above analyst expectations and suggesting the economic recovery, with the support of the Federal Reserve, is enduring despite the contractionary effects of sequestration and higher taxes that took effect at the beginning of the year.

But the biggest news from the Labor Department isn’t the topline payroll figure, or the unemployment rate, which dropped from 7.6 to 7.5 percent. It’s the revisions to reports from previous months, which are more certain statistically and indicate much stronger job growth this winter than initially believed.

Initial figures indicated March was a weak month for job growth, but un upward revision from 88,000 to 138,000 non-farm payrolls suggests the labor market was much healthier than originally estimated. The February payroll figure, which had already been revised up from 236,000 to 268,000, was revised again, up to 332,000 — the strongest showing for any month in years.

What emerges from the new numbers is a significant drop off from February to now, though it’s not clear what caused it or whether it will dissipate with future upward revisions to the April numbers. One disturbing possibility is that the drop off could be a reflection of the impact of austerity measures on the economy, which would suggest that absent GOP unwillingness to replace or rescind sequestration, the continuing recovery would be much more robust.

The internal figures in the April report are fairly impressive.

Retail employment, which had appeared to fall last month, is up 29,000 jobs in April, suggesting sales have endured despite an automatic two percent increase in the payroll tax at the beginning of the year. Health care continues to be a major growth industry, adding 19,000 jobs lat month.

But the public sector continues to be a drag on growth. The private sector actually added 176,000 jobs last month, according to the initial figures, reflecting the loss of 11,000 government jobs. Post office layoffs account for 3,500 of those. State and local for another 3,000. The rest were federal jobs, which along with a slight drop in average weekly hours worked, is the clearest symptom of sequestration in this otherwise fairly strong report.

Job Market Stronger Than Expected, According To Department Of Labor | TPMDC

good news for America gives the GOP the sadz. :sad:

(imagine where we'd be if not for the GOP)

If you know anyone graduating from college this month you know what a thriving job market Obama has produced. :no:

Right Irvine, kids getting out of college would be so much better off we only borrowed and spent even more money adding to their debt burden.

If you know anyone graduating from college this month you know what a thriving job market Obama has produced. :no:

Ah yes, the famous JOBS, JOBS, JOBS ambition that the Republicans said they would focus on. Hmm, what kind of jobs bills did they actually produce? :hmm: And of course, any initiative from the president would be taken up for consideration right away...

The government needs to get out of the way while creating jobs. Well, no wonder the Obama administration is failing in your eyes, you're expecting one guy (in a system that is not built around the sole word of that one guy) to be responsible for fixing things while keeping out of it at the same time.

And 5 months is 21 weeks, which is still pretty much a zero percent chance of survivability base on your own copy and paste chart. And you can absolutely throw out that small sliver of viability completely if they're born outside of a medical facility. I've never subscribed to the belief that life begins at conception, but I find it very hard to imagine someone believing that after they looked a translucent 21 week old fetus in the eye (figuratively of course, because they can't open their eyes at that point) and still think that's a person.

Many don't seem to realize that it is not just the economy to blame for job woes. The whole market has changed. It's no longer what you're capable of, it is how innovative you can be to advance a company. Finding a job no longer requires to simply submit a resume, it requires networking and using social media like LinkedIn and even Twitter in some cases. Technology has changed the way to do business and if you don't have working knowledge of some of them, you'll be passed over. Many are unaware of this, based on what I've seen at job hunting seminars. Maybe the economy led to these changes, but technology certainly played a role.

41% of college grads overqualified for what they do - Apr. 30, 2013

41% of college grads overqualified for what they do

By Chris Isidore @CNNMoney May 1, 2013

A survey out Tuesday found that 41% of college graduates from the last two years are stuck in jobs that don't require a degree.

Consulting firm Accenture talked to 1,005 students who graduated from college in 2011 and 2012 and haven't returned to graduate school. In addition to those who are underemployed, 11% said they are unemployed, with 7% reporting they haven't had a job since graduating.

The lack of job options in their chosen fields are weighing grads down, as nearly half of the recent graduates believe they would fare better in the job market if they'd pursued a different major.

Now if you really want to know who has the low unemployment rates:
Table A-14. Unemployed persons by industry and class of worker, not seasonally adjusted

Government workers:
April 2012 - 3.7%
April 2013 - 3.3%

You realize that the unemployment rate for people with a BA is 3.7%.

I have two BS degrees (one in chemistry and the other one in chemical engineering) and one graduate degree (in medical technology). A few years ago, I was fired by an unfair, vicious micro-manager. To this day, I still can't find another job- despite sending over 200 applications, using LinkedIn, working with recruiters, and reconnecting with former co-workers.

But recently, one of my classmates in grad school (who just happens to be a cute, 23-year-old Polish girl) landed a permanent, full-time job as a blood banker at a clinical laboratory. This girl lacks quite a bit of experience to cross-match blood. But the laboratory consists of all woman, and they chose to hire her over me because she is "more likeable".

IDK, but hiring practices these days are just so fucked up.:|

I have two BS degrees (one in chemistry and the other one in chemical engineering) and one graduate degree (in medical technology). A few years ago, I was fired by an unfair, vicious micro-manager. To this day, I still can't find another job- despite sending over 200 applications, using LinkedIn, working with recruiters, and reconnecting with former co-workers.

But recently, one of my classmates in grad school (who just happens to be a cute, 23-year-old Polish girl) landed a permanent, full-time job as a blood banker at a clinical laboratory. This girl lacks quite a bit of experience to cross-match blood. But the laboratory consists of all woman, and they chose to hire her over me because she is "more likeable".

IDK, but hiring practices these days are just so fucked up.:|

I agree, and I said what I said earlier to explain the job market and hiring process these days.

It is all fucked up and there's so much bull going around. What I really hate is when you go for an interview or even a second interview - and no one has the courtesy to send you an email to let you know they won't be hiring you. Not even a mass email to all they interviewed. How rude and inconsiderate. Is it really that hard to have an assistant or intern to type up a quick email?

As for turning to others for help, I'm also pissed. Either former co-workers or classmates don't respond, or they bullshit me. Is it really that hard to be honest? They can't say, sorry I don't know anyone who is hiring right now? But no, they say, oh yes I may know someone, I'll let you know. :rolleyes:

Sorry for the rant. I have an MA in journalism but I've been working as a receptionist at a law firm for a year. I'm freelancing on the side, but I'm worried about my future. I'm not paid a decent salary, and my job has no growth. I'm doing all I can to get another job with better pay, growth and where my skills fit, but nothing. I'm so upset. Anyway, sorry for the rant.

Beyond education, the nation has also been less aggressive than some others in using counseling and retraining to help the jobless find work. To take one small example, a recent study in France by the renowned M.I.T. economist Esther Duflo and four colleagues found that placement programs for unemployed workers helped not only the workers but the economy too. The counseled workers were more likely to find work, and they did not simply take jobs from other candidates. Overall employment rose more quickly in the regions with job counseling.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/05/sunday-review/the-idled-young-americans.html?_r=0

Huffington Post

The Committee to Protect Journalists condemned the Obama administration's media investigations on two fronts on Tuesday.

The CPJ board sent a letter to Attorney General Eric Holder and Deputy Attorney General James Cole protesting the Justice Department's secret probe into the Associated Press. The board--whose members include Christiane Amanpour, Lara Logan, Tom Brokaw, Victor Navasky, Michael Massing and the Huffington Post Media Group's editor-in-chief, Arianna Huffington--said that it was doing something rare:

Our board of directors rarely has seen the need to raise its collective voice against U.S. government actions that threaten newsgathering. Today, however, we do see that need: We write you to vigorously protest the secret seizing of phone records of The Associated Press. The overly broad scope of the secret subpoena and the lack of notification to the AP by the Justice Department represent a damaging setback for press freedom in the United States.

The CPJ added that the Justice Department had "set a terrible example for the rest of the world, where governments routinely justify intervention in the media by citing national security." The letter also demanded, as the AP has, that any materials obtained in the DOJ probe be returned immediately to the AP.

In a separate release, the CPJ said it was "alarmed" at the Justice Department's secret investigation into Fox News reporter James Rosen.

"U.S. government efforts to prosecute leakers by obtaining information from journalists has a chilling effect domestically and sends a terrible message to journalists around the world who are fighting to resist government intrusion," CPJ head Joel Simon said in a statement.

Although I voted for Obama last time around and would have no problem with a legitimate, court-ordered (with an overview process) with something other than a fishing expedition purpose, much of the overreach of this administration in regard to citizen surveillance and the press (ie the AP) is more than troubling to me.

I hated it with Bush. I hate it with Obama. While you can make a case that these are security issues, you can make an equal case that it allows the administration information it can use in ways much less defensible.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/07/us/nsa-verizon-calls.html?hp&_r=0

ricin1n-14-web.jpg

Actress arrested in ricin letters sent to Obama, Bloomberg

:huh:

Back
Top Bottom