Obama General Discussion, vol. 5 - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonosSaint View Post
Faux Republican outrage vs. genuine Democrat indifference. So encouraging.
And the fight goes on.
*Feels an urge to start singing "Circle of Life"*

Old 01-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonosSaint View Post
Faux Republican outrage vs. genuine Democrat indifference. So encouraging.
And the fight goes on.
I expect GOP to act like asses
but the Democrats are (just) a little disappointing.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
*Feels an urge to start singing "Circle of Life"*
Old 01-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

The Price Is Right Viewers Go Bonkers On Obama For Interrupting Game Show With Press Conference | Mediaite
Old 01-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

"Visceral hatred has a political consequence, and the political consequence is that over time it will make it harder for those governments to say yes to the United States," Boyle told HuffPost Live host Ahmed Shihab-Eldin. "Our longer-term counter-terrorism cooperation with Yemen and Pakistan is an extraordinarily important thing. Those governments face domestic political costs. And if it is stirring visceral hatred, and it gets to the point where those governments can't say yes, that's a problem for us over the longer term."
Michael Boyle: 'Visceral Hatred' Of Drones Undermines U.S. Foreign Policy In Long Term (VIDEO)

I know the media here is focused on the budget, the fiscal cliff and so forth, but there needs to be coverage of the drones. Obama is using them a lot and few Americans know about it or even why he is.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:04 PM
Fully agreed on that. I've never really been supportive of the whole drone program. I get that it's partially to help keep our soldiers safer-the drones do the more dangerous stuff and all that-but it's technology. And technology can still mess things up. And our soldiers can still be in danger even with the drones around, and letting these drones do all the dirty work often seems to absolve us of any responsiblity for anything war-related. It distances us too much from the actual situation at hand.

I know we have to continue to have interaction with other countries because our policies have an effect on them and vice versa-we can't shut ourselves off from the rest of the world altogether, nor should we. But it'd be great if our interactions with other countries became less violent in general, and if we could pull our troops out of the wars we're currently still engaged in in some form or another and find other means to help our allies and other places that are struggling.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:08 AM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:04 AM
This is an interesting interview with Obama: Barack Obama is Not Pleased | New Republic

Interesting to see him discuss his thoughts on gun control, the politics of Congress, etc. in some more detail.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
WASHINGTON -- A report Monday night on the nature of the administration's drone program has the potential to dramatically revamp the debate over President Barack Obama's foreign policy and the confirmation process for his incoming cabinet.
The report, by Michael Isikoff of NBC News, reveals that the Obama administration believes that high-level administration officials -- not just the president -- may order the killing of “senior operational leaders” of al-Qaida or an associated force even without evidence they are actively plotting against the U.S.
“A lawful killing in self-defense is not an assassination,” states the Justice Department white paper quoted by Isikoff.
The 16-page memo, given to Congress in June, is not the final Office of Legal Counsel memo that news organizations have sued to obtain. But it offers plenty of insight into the government’s justification for killing American citizens in overseas drone strikes.
DOJ Drones Paper: Obama's Second-Term Cabinet, Agenda Faces New Scrutiny

I'm not comfortable with this at all, especially if these Americans may not be an actual threat to the country. What happend to guilty until proven innocent?

While I usually roll my eyes at the Obama conspiracies that he plans to make himself dictator, these reports do not help to stop such beliefs. Meaning, while I truly don't believe he is planning to be our country's first dictator, these drone operations make me wonder what really is going on in Washington.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:04 AM
He's just continuing along the same lines as all our other presidents. While I don't see us becoming a dictatorship, I do think we are moving to a hybrid of sorts.

We'll still have more freedom than other countries, but we'll also act in ways that goes against what our core beliefs stood for.

I'm not sure it's really a bad thing, but an evolution of the world in which we all live in.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post

We'll still have more freedom than other countries, but we'll also act in ways that goes against what our core beliefs stood for.

I'm not sure it's really a bad thing, but an evolution of the world in which we all live in.
Just out of curiosity, which "core beliefs" do you see as disposable in the name of societal evolution?
Old 02-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Didn't our government push through the Patriot Act? Do we not hold prisioners in a prison with no due process because we consider them enemy combatants? Do we not call for assinations of US citizens abroad because they might be linked to terrorist organizations? Wire tapping?

Notice I didn't label a specific group in the goverment being responsible for doing this, as both GOP and Dems have signed their names to the policies above.

Slippery slope. We want our country to be safe, but at what costs to our liberties?
Old 02-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #27
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:04 AM
All these things I think ultimately make us more unsafe in the long run. We create our own enemies by using tactics that will appear unjust and wrong to most and the folks in power give themselves more, which remains a big surprise to many it seems. It's ridiculous.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

but most of us just ignore it or don't bother to pay attention and continue to elect those in power who keep taking away these freedoms.

All of the above is much more worriesome than guns, which is all that anyone ever seems to focus on.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #29
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:04 AM
I think it was Orwell who discussed that basically we live in an inherently anti-democratic age. The musket was a cheap and affordable weapon for the masses and the state had little superior to it. No matter what guns people have available to them or how many if the government wanted to go all tyrannical it would win...we can't afford to have our own surface to air missiles and tanks (not that we should), but I think it goes to show the imbalance of power between the ruling class (for instance the dynasty of Bush's, Kennedy's and Clinton's, in the UK Cameron and Osbourne being of the old ruling class) and those below. It does seem to be an imbalance though we are loathe to rectify or even consider an alternative to. It may be naive to think we could create a more fair and populace involved form of government and it would be much more worse to consider this is the best we can get. I am also not talking about minor tweaks, I believe a more radical rethink is required to deal with the structural inequalities in the world in regards to political and economic systems.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:25 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
Didn't our government push through the Patriot Act? Do we not hold prisioners in a prison with no due process because we consider them enemy combatants? Do we not call for assinations of US citizens abroad because they might be linked to terrorist organizations? Wire tapping?

Notice I didn't label a specific group in the goverment being responsible for doing this, as both GOP and Dems have signed their names to the policies above.

Slippery slope. We want our country to be safe, but at what costs to our liberties?
Well said and a good question.

Do you see Obamacare and the nationalization of health records as an assault on personal liberty and privacy? You should. How about a $16 trillion and growing debt, what effect will that have on the economic freedom of future generations? How do you feel about speech codes, political correctness and hate crime legislation in regards to the 1st Amendment? How about the growing Nanny state and the banning of Big Gulps, Happy Meals, certain light bulbs and toilets, etc?