Obama General Discussion, vol. 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The USSR was a few weeks from launching an attack on Japan. Having Russia at the surrender table worked out well in Germany and Eastern Europe for the USSR. I am sure the Soviets were disappointed by the dropping of the bomb.

Four More Years indeed. I would happily keep my finger on the re-elect button. Obama is a far-from-perfect president in my book, but he's a thoughtful person and a dignified one, and he ran a remarkably clean administration (note that the biggest exceptions, sadly, were tied to the remarkably scandal-prone Clintons). He's had his failures, but he acts presidential in a way that both parties' candidates could stand to emulate. And a lot of seriously good progress has happened under his watch.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Four More Years indeed. I would happily keep my finger on the re-elect button. Obama is a far-from-perfect president in my book, but he's a thoughtful person and a dignified one, and he ran a remarkably clean administration (note that the biggest exceptions, sadly, were tied to the remarkably scandal-prone Clintons). He's had his failures, but he acts presidential in a way that both parties' candidates could stand to emulate. And a lot of seriously good progress has happened under his watch.

My sentiments exactly. I've always felt he truly cared about the issues that he pushed for, and fought as hard as he could to try and make as much progress as possible.

You and I see eye to eye on quite a bit of politics it seems.

Hell yes.

But that doesn't change the sheer horror of it all, and frankly any country who can't acknowledge that and be troubled by it shouldn't have nukes.

Well said, HIAS

In the Early 70's there was a traveling exhibit that showed photos and
artifacts from Hiroshima, Nagasaki it was the first time these things were
shown in the USA. Very sobering.
Glad President Obama went there.

Great Quotes in Presidential History

It's easier for a teenager to get a Glock than a book - Barack Obama 2016

Not exactly the quote, but yes it was a silly line. Hyperbole, but you can always count on right wing media to make a mountain out of spec of dirt.

Reminds me of this:

2n5d3NYTjWThFMbecgoj_ObamaPeace.jpg

I hear you BVS. If he had left it a computer it would have been ok. Nonetheless, Probably won't be etched in Marble at the Obama Presidential Library.

Reminds me of my favorite Dubya quotation. "Fool me once. We won't get fooled again"

Cue Roger Daltrey Wailing

Why Aetna is pulling back, big-time, from Obamacare markets now

CMS also said that it expects the risk pool to keep growing and to improve as a result of several actions planned by the agency, including strengthening the outreach it makes to people, particularly young adults, which will include reminding them of the tax penalty for failing to have insurance.

Levitt said that while the data suggest that the risk pool improved in 2015, the second year of Obamacare sales, "there's no systematic data yet on what 2016 looks like."

"Individual insurers can see how their own risk pools and finances are shaping up, but no one insurer has the full picture," he said.

Robert Laszewski, president of Health Policy and Strategy Associates, said, "What is most significant about Aetna's reasoning for dramatically cutting back on its participation in the ACA exchanges is that it is saying the claims experience is getting worse not better."

"People had hoped the risk pool would have stabilized midway through the third year," Laszewski said. But "other carriers [insurers] I talk to are finding the same continued deterioration in the risk pool."

"What I find most disconcerting is that the local Blue Cross plans are in a real bind here," he added. "One plan after another is reporting unsustainable underwriting results in the ACA exchanges but, given their long-standing commitment to their states, it isn't so simple for them to walk away as the big for-profits like United, Humana and now Aetna are doing."

"I don't think you can underestimate just how critical the instability of the ACA risk pool is," Laszewski said.

Aetna is not the single health insurer that is going away from Obamacare.

Making people by force pay for health insurance, regardless if it's subsidized or free, seems such a manipulative and brain washing way to suppress the masses so that the elite owners of the insurers can stay rich.

Don't follow the system. There are ways to not get penalized if you don't have insurance if you research and play the system to your advantage.

Aetna is not the single health insurer that is going away from Obamacare.

Making people by force pay for health insurance, regardless if it's subsidized or free, seems such a manipulative and brain washing way to suppress the masses so that the elite owners of the insurers can stay rich.

Don't follow the system. There are ways to not get penalized if you don't have insurance if you research and play the system to your advantage.

But keeping the sick sick will show those fucking elites :rolleyes:

Do you think out any of your posts?

Sounds like it's time for a public option.

When was it not? It was always the right answer.

The worst part is that Obama took the damn public option out of the bill to try to get Republican votes that he ended up not receiving (and he would do this same watering down crap for years until he finally figured out that they'll never budge). I think even the Blue Dog Democrats and the handful in bed with the health insurance industry would have had their arms pulled and been forced to go along with the ACA and we'd now have a public option leading to downward spiraling costs.

Obviously, the end game is just that the industry would mostly go out of business and we'd have a Socialized health care system like everywhere else which is what works, but the ACA has been surprisingly effective at keeping costs low, both due to government regulation and the increased competition in the state exchanges.

The ACA will go down as the only real legislative accomplishment of Obama's eight years (and Hillary probably won't have a single important left-leaning bill in her terms given what we know about Republican obstructionism), but it's a damn fine one to have. :up:

Yes, my post was so crazy. Arguing that socialized medicine which every first world country employs is the answer or the fact that Clinton will face Republican obstructionism since Republicans will almost certainly control the House for the next eight years are so wacky.

Back
Top Bottom