NYPD brutality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Someone should tell that guy his melodramatic delivery isn't adding any credibility.

I don't have much patience for those clowns protesting, but in my limited interaction with the nypd, they are a bunch of untrained monkeys. I was walking back to my Brother's one night through an intersection (walk sign was telling me to go) and a cruiser turning left drove right into me. Hit me right in the knee and forced me up onto his hood a little. He wasn't going fast which led me to believe he did it on purpose. I gave him a dirty look and a 'what the fuck?', but couldn't do much else as it was 3 am and no one else was on the street.

Someone should tell that guy his melodramatic delivery isn't adding any credibility.

I don't have much patience for those clowns protesting, but in my limited interaction with the nypd, they are a bunch of untrained monkeys. I was walking back to my Brother's one night through an intersection (walk sign was telling me to go) and a cruiser turning left drove right into me. Hit me right in the knee and forced me up onto his hood a little. He wasn't going fast which led me to believe he did it on purpose. I gave him a dirty look and a 'what the fuck?', but couldn't do much else as it was 3 am and no one else was on the street.

I like the melodrama, it keeps the viewers engaged. I don't agree with the protesters at all and I'm sure some of them are clowns, but nevertheless, as a country we pride ourselves in our freedom of speech, and so these NYPD terrorists shouldn't be using violence.

Ironically this is taking place in the very city that was attacked by terrorists who attacked our "freedom" and because of whom we had to invade Iraq to protect that "freedom". Obviously these people don't have freedom to protest without getting thrown around like trash, sprayed in the eyes with mace, humiliated, arrested, and without the the fear of repercussions for speaking their mind in a peaceful way. Maybe we should invade Iran now, we need some of that freedom back!

P.S. Sorry to hear about your encounter with the NYPD terrorist. Fuck the police.

I don't have time to watch the whole thing but that was bad so far-especially the woman who was grabbed and was screaming. What was she doing that was illegal or provoking? Must have been something she said. People can protest all they want as long as it is peaceful. A camera is not a weapon but i guess it's very threatening to some police officers.

I have had a couple of bad experiences with police officers and as a result I'm very leery of them and I don't trust them. I know that they're not all like that but I can't help it, that's how I feel. If I had to rely one one for help I wouldn't feel as comfortable and confident as I should feel.

I think Lawrence O'Donnell is always like that, that's his style.

I got an unnecessary ticket this past week from Police and my only conclusion after days of thought was, they have to get paid too. I was doing supposedly "80 in a 60", but I didn't see the radar gun. So , what they did in essence was 'tax collection'.

Overall, my opinion is we have to give police the benefit of the doubt, but really keep an eye on the licence that they are given. They do have a job that requires a unique person and we shouldn't forget that. We have to have respect for all of our work scenarios.

^ While I appreciate your point, if you're like most people I suspect you'd take far more unkindly to an unnecessary hit of pepper spray in the eye than an unnecessary speeding ticket. New York has the strictest pepper spray regulations in the country (for ordinary citizens), ironic to see the NYPD using it in such a questionable manner.

This protest movement does seem to be quite small, disorganized, and lacking in specific aims (and protest experience), but then they're almost all very young, and in any case one would have to be living under a rock not to grasp the general point of a 'citizens' occupation' of Wall Street. It could still develop into something important (and not at all necessarily partisan, either). I have to say the blatant, withering contempt the NYT has repeatedly leveled at them, even in its supposed straight news pieces, has left a bad taste in my mouth. Editorializing on the drawbacks of protest strategies which impede other citizens' ability to get to work, and/or fail to convey a clear set of goals, OK, but that doesn't make it a joke story.

Last edited:
:rolleyes:

Well, that would explain why you watch MSNBC.

How so? And how does that have anything to do with the main topic that I brought up? Actually I don't ever watch MSNBC, and I came across this clip on the internet.

My guess is that you're too insecure and ignorant, as a radical right winger, to admit police or legal wrongdoing when it's so obvious and in your face, which is why you also rolled your eyes to my Troy Davis comment. That's why instead of commenting on anything about the main topic of this thread, you try to dis MSNBC and myself avert attention. That's just a guess though.

Overall, my opinion is we have to give police the benefit of the doubt, but really keep an eye on the licence that they are given.

I understand what you're saying. I'm the type of person who does give a benefit of a doubt when I hear something without knowing both sides of an argument. But in the video with the pepper spray, it was so obvious who was in the wrong. And it's not only that but there are tons of videos out there of the police brutality in peaceful situations in this protest. I feel like they shouldn't be given that benefit in this case.

It is a violation of their freedom of assembly. The same thing happened in my mind when the G8 protests happened in Toronto. How is at that police are not given specific orders how to act? The chief of police must use this consideration when saying attack or be defensive. It is all about lines.

Without passing judgement on this case or others, these matters are tricky because some protestors do incite and some events could happen off camera. Cops can get spooked too.

What bothers me about police work is how they act as bullies and know who and what to target for their quotas. They really pick on perceived 'weak' people. If they a vulnerability they will capitalize on it to meet their quota. I have been on the wrong end of this. It demonstrates their cowardice as people.

We have a service in Ontario called X Copper. They act as a paralegal in Traffic disputes and other non-crimanal cases who are usually ex-policeman. I spoke to one last week who told me to my face of all of the excessive ticketing that happens. He didn't deny it. We spoke about 'good faith' and 'trust' and he started to laugh. He says good faith is a one-way street. This is an ex-policemen. So much for keeping mum.

How so? And how does that have anything to do with the main topic that I brought up? Actually I don't ever watch MSNBC, and I came across this clip on the internet.

My guess is that you're too insecure and ignorant, as a radical right winger, to admit police or legal wrongdoing when it's so obvious and in your face, which is why you also rolled your eyes to my Troy Davis comment. That's why instead of commenting on anything about the main topic of this thread, you try to dis MSNBC and myself avert attention. That's just a guess though.

Let's just say "radical right wingers" tend to side with the 34 witnesses against Davis, the jury of seven blacks and five whites that took less than two hours to convict Davis and the dozen or so appellate courts that all ruled against Davis--rather than the Left and their perverse obsession with cop killers on death row.

As far as the main topic, it's a NY issue and I'm more than content to let them resolve it just as the people in Georgia should be able to deliver justice for the murder of one of their police officers.

You're correct about one thing however, I never pass up the opportunity to "dis" MSNBC.

Coppers are supposed to be servants of the people but have been acting like prison wardens on behalf of the super-rich for far too long now. I welcome this belated kickback in favour of citizens' rights against excessive executive power, though I fear that there will be blood on the streets afore long.

I like the melodrama, it keeps the viewers engaged. I don't agree with the protesters at all and I'm sure some of them are clowns, but nevertheless, as a country we pride ourselves in our freedom of speech, and so these NYPD terrorists shouldn't be using violence.

Ironically this is taking place in the very city that was attacked by terrorists who attacked our "freedom" and because of whom we had to invade Iraq to protect that "freedom". Obviously these people don't have freedom to protest without getting thrown around like trash, sprayed in the eyes with mace, humiliated, arrested, and without the the fear of repercussions for speaking their mind in a peaceful way. Maybe we should invade Iran now, we need some of that freedom back!

P.S. Sorry to hear about your encounter with the NYPD terrorist. Fuck the police.

Police terrorism is not limited to the US.

We have had personal testimony from a UK member of the forum (an 18 year old female) who was assaulted by British police whilst involved in a peaceful protest - the same kind of cops who were subsequently found to be in the payroll of the Rupert Murdoch criminal Mafia organisation. The lid was blown on the latter's criminality only through citizens complaining loudly enough, with the support of the Guardian newspaper, and even at that the police are still attempting to abuse the law by illegally bullying journalists into revealing sources.

In the hysteria regarding the London riots a few months back, it was forgotten by many (especially Times International and Daily Mail readers) that what originally sparked the riots was the extra-judicial execution of unarmed black man by police officers. They subsequently lied about his criminal record (he had one, but not as serious as they claimed) and they also told a bunch of lies to the media about him drawing his weapon first (it was subsequently ascertained that although he had a gun in the car at the time that he was murdered, it was not discharged and he did not handle it on the night in question).

We have also had testimony from a number of other European members of the forum about German and Austrian police behaviour with regards to allegations of illegal assaults and breaking of entirely legal and peaceful protests.

The main tactic currently seems to be to attempt to provoke the citizenry into violent responses to police brutality - which, so far, I'm pleased to say, isn't working out too well for what you quite rightly call police terrorists.

Common attacks like these are influenced through racism and discrimination. In this case, the guy was not a chicano, fortunately.

Let's just say "radical right wingers" tend to side with the 34 witnesses against Davis, the jury of seven blacks and five whites that took less than two hours to convict Davis and the dozen or so appellate courts that all ruled against Davis--rather than the Left and their perverse obsession with cop killers on death row.

7 out of 9 key witnesses subsequently changed all of their testimony and said they were threatened by the police to testify against Davis. 3 witnesses signed an affidavit stating that another man, Redd Coles, confessed the murder to them.

In addition to all of this, there was no murder weapon found. Absolutely no direct evidence linking Davis to the killing. He was convicted based on the eyewitness reports, many of them who were threatened by the police. This is not unimaginable considering the police lost one of their own. It's that same radical right mentality: the need to blame someone whether or not they are guilty. A legal system that puts someone to death based only on eyewitness testimony is barbaric, especially considering the witnesses were threatened to testify against Davis.

This was yet another case of the police terrorizing the people. Unfortunately it ended with an innocent man living behind bars for 22 years, and then being injected with poison and murdered. The United States is one of the only industrialized countries that allows this barbaric crime against humanity.

We have a service in Ontario called X Copper. They act as a paralegal in Traffic disputes and other non-crimanal cases who are usually ex-policeman. I spoke to one last week who told me to my face of all of the excessive ticketing that happens. He didn't deny it. We spoke about 'good faith' and 'trust' and he started to laugh. He says good faith is a one-way street. This is an ex-policemen. So much for keeping mum.

X Copper is the biggest joke. They're all still buddies with guys who are still cops. They just look for a little slip up in the clerical filing of the ticket and get them thrown out. But they make it so easy for each other. It's like a guaranteed income for the guys when they retire

As far as the main topic, it's a NY issue and I'm more than content to let them resolve it just as the people in Georgia should be able to deliver justice for the murder of one of their police officers.

You're correct about one thing however, I never pass up the opportunity to "dis" MSNBC.
Only a jackass would say liberals have a perverse obsession with cop killers simply because sometimes the justice system is wrong and some people are willing to acknowledge that fact.

For someone so anti-government, you are awfully trusting of them to get every verdict right.

For someone so anti-government, you are awfully trusting of them to get every verdict right.

:up:

Awesome statement.

When it comes to healthcare, the free-market knows all and whatever it decides is just. The government should just shut up because what the hell do they know?

When it comes to war and legal, the government knows all and every death whether by capital punishment or in war has been just. We should all just shut up because what the hell do we know?

In other words, the government has a right to spend our money to kill someone, but they have no right to spend our money to save someone's life.

While shooting the CW's "Supernatural" last Friday, D.J. Qualls was severely beaten by Vancouver police.

The "Road Trip" star took to his twitter to alert fans and explain his shock and confusion.

Qualls also gave a full account of the scene, which began when he walked out of a cafe and witnessed "a dude punch a girl." He told the authorities what he had seen but he was not greeted with thanks.

"He said if I didnt get out of there, [he'd] arrest me, I asked why and he tackled me, busted my face and handcuffed me," Qualls said.

He continued, "Was not arrested b/c was innocent. I was handcuffed and bleeding while the cop kept saying to me, 'you think youre f-cking better than me? … Repeatedly asked 4 his badge number and he said if I didnt shut up, Id be taken in. Finally got a card as I was taken to hospital."

When admitted to the ER, Qualls was bloodied and received stitches in his chin.

"I cannot understand it," he tweeted. "I'm sitting here, with a busted face in total shock. I literally did nothing wrong."

The actor is demanding compensation for the brutal treatment, including full reimbursement for his hospital bills, which totaled to $800. He is also filing a formal complaint with the Vancouver Police Department and urged his fans to retweet his story.

A police rep told the Vancouver Sun that they've already begun an investigation.

Not really sure what to say. Yes it is clear that the incident on video and the incident posted above are example of police stepping well over the line, but at the same time it doesn't make me feel any more or less wary of law enforcement. For every story like that we could find ten or one hundred where police went above and beyond to help and serve (luckily in my own experience that has only ever been the case, police doing their jobs or going above and beyond for us). I hope the police involved in these incidents are appropriately brought to justice themselves. As for police in general I do not have a "me vs. them" attitude. Maybe having several LEOs in the family I see us *all* as citizens. They are not perfect. They see things that we can choose not to think about. That does not give them the right to snap, no, but I simply don't view police as violet power trippers.

Common attacks like these are influenced through racism and discrimination. In this case, the guy was not a chicano, fortunately.

I would agree with that. But yet some minority groups have a history of victimhood that leads to present day misunderstandings.

I agree that there is a victim/offender dynamic in place. The same paradigm can exisit in marriages.

Some peoples whole M.O. is based upon hatred of cops.

Some of the posts in this thread anger me to such a level I had to leave before I returned to post... specifically the ones calling these officers and the NYPD "terrorists."

The people being pulled and "dragged" were resisting arrest. They refuse to move upon being arrested, which leads to them being forced to move. There is nothing wrong with what the officers did.

I won't defend the pepper spray incident that was on video. That officer should be punished.

On the whole the nypd does an outstanding job protecting this city. There will always be problems, especially with such a large force. There are problems in all walks of life. Nobody is perfect, and police corruption should be punished if and when it is discovered.

Calling the NYPD terrorists is disgusting. Honestly... whoever it was that said that, go fuck yourself.

The people being pulled and "dragged" were resisting arrest. They refuse to move upon being arrested, which leads to them being forced to move. There is nothing wrong with what the officers did.

Um, you think there is nothing wrong with arresting people for peacefully protesting? Go check the Constitution, this country has an amendment called "Freedom of Speech, Press, Religion and Petition". It's the First Amendment, and its description is:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Therefore, people are allowed to protest without being arrested. By logic and reasoning, the cops did, in fact, do something wrong.

Let me explain once again: In the United States, the First Amendment, which is part of the Constitution, guarantees the right of free speech and peaceful assembly. New York, where the protests took place, is a part of the United States. Therefore, Federal laws apply to New York. The people in the videos were peacefully protesting, which is allowed by First Amendment (which I explained above), but were arrested. Hence, the arrests were wrong. And hence, the terrorists making the arrests did something wrong.

Understand?

Calling the NYPD terrorists is disgusting. Honestly... whoever it was that said that, go fuck yourself.

The only thing disgusting is the piece of shit in your head that is a sad excuse for a brain.

According to Websters online dictionary, the definition of a terrorism is: "the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion".

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/terrorist

By arresting, harming, humiliating, and pepper spraying innocent people, the thugs in these videos were spreading fear (as you can hear from the screams in the videos). They were spreading fear of being able to speak one's mind. They are terrorists.

Oh, and go fuck yourself.

Back
Top Bottom