NYPD brutality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let me explain once again: In the United States, the First Amendment, which is part of the Constitution, guarantees the right of free speech and peaceful assembly. New York, where the protests took place, is a part of the United States. Therefore, Federal laws apply to New York. The people in the videos were peacefully protesting, which is allowed by First Amendment (which I explained above), but were arrested. Hence, the arrests were wrong. And hence, the terrorists making the arrests did something wrong.

Understand?

Wow. Way to make yourself look like a complete asshole

The only thing disgusting is the piece of shit in your head that is a sad excuse for a brain.

According to Websters online dictionary, the definition of a terrorism is: "the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion".

Terrorist - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

By arresting, harming, humiliating, and pepper spraying innocent people, the thugs in these videos were spreading fear (as you can hear from the screams in the videos). They were spreading fear of being able to speak one's mind. They are terrorists.

Oh, and go fuck yourself.

For having a piece of shit for a brain, Headache is able to make much more reasonable posts than you seem to be capable of.
And you're clearly misusing the term 'terrorists' despite your game of semantics. I don't disagree with some of what you're saying, but your tone makes you sound like a ranting hippie

No great story, not even anything directly to do with me - I was just walking down Bleeker or MacDougal Street, or somewhere in there, at a fairly silly hour and went to walk past what just looked like a group of boisterous but harmless guys outside a bar being a bit boisterous but harmless. As I was directly passing them a bit of a scuffle broke out, and just as I realised that smack in the middle of the scuffle were actually a couple of seriously pissed off cops, they went nuts on the pepper spray in all directions, hitting me right in the face.

WAY out of line. One person crossing the line doesn't give you free license to turn sling insults in response. Stick to the issues or don't post.

I always stick to the issues, as you can see from my other posts. Like you said, only because he insulted me first did I turn sling insults. But I understand that mine went further, and I'm sorry.

Next time I insult someone I'll stick to bland "go fuck yourselfs" or "fuck offs" or "fuck yous".

For having a piece of shit for a brain, Headache is able to make much more reasonable posts than you seem to be capable of.
And you're clearly misusing the term 'terrorists' despite your game of semantics.

He said the police did nothing wrong by making those arrests. How is that more reasonable than what I said? I made a case for free speech and explained how he's wrong. If I'm wrong, then why don't you try to disprove me?

I'm not playing semantics. The fact that these people wear uniforms doesn't change that they are illegally assaulting people and are spreading fear. If it was me or you walking around pepper spraying people in the eye, we'd be in jail right now. I hate that just because someone has a badge or someone has a military uniform, people automatically hold them in a higher regard whether or not they deserve it. I'm simply trying to stick up for the people being brutalized by drawing attention to the issue.

But you have to know how to communicate with your audience if you want to be taken seriously.

You're absolutely right. The post was directed towards him only, but of course that's not how everyone else sees it. Will keep that in mind.

He started it.

Seriously?

I always stick to the issues, as you can see from my other posts.

If you always stick to the issues, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Next time I insult someone I'll stick to bland "go fuck yourselfs" or "fuck offs" or "fuck yous".

Or how about you be the bigger man and not go insulting people just because they insulted you.

Fuck you.

Consider this a formal warning.

Seriously?

If you always stick to the issues, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Or how about you be the bigger man and not go insulting people just because they insulted you.

So when someone tells me to go fuck myself, that's okay. When I say it, it isn't?

Did you not read what I was responding to?

If this is a forum where people are allowed to throw around moderate insults, why can't I? Why do I have to be the "bigger man"? And why do I get formal warnings. But the people who say stuff to me don't get any warnings? Doesn't seem fair.

Achtung11 said:
He said the police did nothing wrong by making those arrests. How is that more reasonable than what I said? I made a case for free speech and explained how he's wrong. If I'm wrong, then why don't you try to disprove me?

I did say that I agreed with you on some of your points, though lets be honest, those clips are a little bias if they're only 30 seconds long. Not saying the police were justified, but I'd be willing to believe there might have been lead ups we weren't shown

I'm not playing semantics. The fact that these people wear uniforms doesn't change that they are illegally assaulting people and are spreading fear. If it was me or you walking around pepper spraying people in the eye, we'd be in jail right now. I hate that just because someone has a badge or someone has a military uniform, people automatically hold them in a higher regard whether or not they deserve it. I'm simply trying to stick up for the people being brutalized by drawing attention to the issue.

and if you or I were doing it, not one person would refer to us as terrorists. Assholes, yes, criminals, yes, but not terrorists. It's that kind of dramatic exaggeration that makes your side hard to take seriously

and if you or I were doing it, not one person would refer to us as terrorists. Assholes, yes, criminals, yes, but not terrorists. It's that kind of dramatic exaggeration that makes your side hard to take seriously

Makes sense. But I guess people react differently. You might take me less seriously if I call them terrorists, but it might also draw the attention of someone else who is not paying attention to the issue. Same reason why I titled the threat "NYPD brutality" instead of something like "Police misconduct".

You're right, nobody would refer to us as terrorists. But these cops are in a position of authority, so there is additional fear aspect. If I walk down a street and see a cop dragging people and spraying pepper spray for protesting, I honestly would be afraid to exercise my rights in that neighborhood or to look up to the police as help or safety.

Another reason why I use that word is to express my anger when I see these videos, and look at some of these pictures. The manner in which they get detained and tackled to the ground pisses me off. It's as if they are drug dealers or rapists. It's so obvious that some of the cops are only expressing their testosterone rush.

Like why does a cop need to reach across a barricade and drag her on her back from the sidewalk to the road? You can see it at 3:19 in the video below. At 7:00 you see a cop with his knee on a guys neck as he is on the ground. In picture #11 on the 2nd link, you see a cop grabbing a woman's breast.

It's not only me who is using this term. I believe someone else in this thread also condoned my use of the word and agreed with me. Also in the video below, I can't find at which point, you hear some girl saying "why are they terrorizing us?" It is real, there is a real fear aspect involved, and so the word is fitting, IMHO.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/09/occupy-wall-street/100159/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU9Dx0x9h4A&feature=related

Some police officers do a great job and some use the badge as a justification for all kinds of inappropriate behavior. I had such an experience, and shortly after that it came out in the news about inappropriate behavior that was occurring in that very same department. Of course it was all very vague and covered up as far as the details, as it is in certain wealthy suburbs. But I wasn't surprised.

It's not just city departments-let's just say that some officers in suburban departments might be bored and misusing their power or have ulterior motives. And harassing citizens for just walking down the street. And more beyond that.

I never reported what happened to me and I regretfully cooperated when I should have said something along the lines of "who do you think you are" (haha, that would have gone over well). because I know what can happen when you speak up for yourself to someone in a situation like that. Unnerving experience.

I would never ever call a police officer a terrorist but on the other hand I have a much better sense of realism now and of how a law abiding citizen can feel powerless, and mistreated. What happened on Wall Street, I'm not speaking about that. But just in a general sense.

for all the conservatives reading this, these are actual photos of the American Left. this is what they look like, this is what they are protesting. also note that their signs are spelled correctly.

the people who occupy the White House and the vast majority of Dems in Congress are clearly to the right of these people, thus putting them in the political center.

this is the Left. this is who you pretend the president is. he's not one of them. these people are mad at Obama precisely because his policies on the economy and health care were policies supported by even moderate Republicans just a few years ago.

That video is pretty fucked up.

My guess when this protest started and it's lack of size/cohesion/initial success was being mocked, was that it will be a slow burner and eventually will get very large and very ugly. It took a week for the media to pay attention, and as it does, guess what, it's starting to get bigger and uglier.

This is going to be 2012, pretty much, so get used to it.

Back
Top Bottom