Now my 4 year-old Jenny can't get into Harvard!! - Mom sues her child's preschool - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 03:55 AM
Now my 4 year-old Jenny can't get into Harvard!! - Mom sues her child's preschool

TODAYMoms - Mom sues preschool for not prepping 4-year-old for Ivy League

Mom sues preschool for not prepping 4-year-old for Ivy League
By Kavita Varma-White

Did you hear the one about the New York mom who sued the preschool for not preparing her kid for the Ivy League?
Sadly, folks, this isn't a joke.

Cute, but will it impress the Harvard admissions committee?
There is, for reals, a mom (the plaintiff, Nicole Imprescia of Manhattan) and a school (the defendant, York Avenue Preschool) and a lawsuit (plaintiff suing defendant for a refund of the $19,000/year tuition she paid).
The New York Daily News first reported about Imprescia's beef. She claims the school jeopardized her 4-year-old daughter Lucia's chances of getting into an elite private school (by not preparing her for the admissions exam you have to take to get into top notch/top dollar elementary schools in the city) and, therefore – wait for it, wait for it – ruined her chances of being a future Ivy Leaguer.

The lawsuit claims that the school put Imprescia's "very smart" 4-year-old in a class with kids half her age – a class where the focus was on shapes and colors. (The York School's website says 4-year-olds work "with one alphabet letter each week creating connections between the letter, the sound and the children's lives." Students are also "introduced to the works of artists represented in the many museums found within New York City.")
"The school proved not to be a school at all, but just one big playroom," the lawsuit says.

Again, this isn't a joke, but if it were, maybe this would be the punch line: Imprescia pulled her daughter out of the school after just three weeks – which means the child maybe got to the letter "C." But the school, which has a firm no-refund policy, wouldn't give her money back. (Nanny, nanny boo-boo.)

Where to start with this story: Paying $19,000 for a preschool? Saying the school sucks after just three weeks? Filing a lawsuit because you think your 4-year-old won't get into Harvard? We took to the blogosphere to find out what bothers people the most.

In the Jewish parenting blog Kveller.com, Jordana Horn writes about what the $19K preschool price tag is really about:
It’s more about the connections – you’re buying into the system early with the idea, as this woman has somewhat indelicately put it, of buying a ticket for the wild ride of Manhattan competitive education. You fight to get into a preschool, then an elementary school, then high school, and then the golden ticket of the decal for the back of the car that costs $19K to put in the garage all year. Fun!

Jen Doll, in the Village Voice's Pity the Parent blog, says:
But this kind of thing has been going on forever, as long as pushy parents and pageant moms have existed, which is to say, always. Imprescia is only of interest, really, due to her gall in announcing to the world her high-minded expectations for her child, and then actually suing for her money back based on the premise that those expectations could have been destroyed in a mere three week's time.

And we love how Babble's Strollerderby blog tucks the story into bed. Writes Meredith Carroll:
Here’s hoping mademoiselle Lucia (and her mom) recovers from the trauma of preschool and goes on to bigger and better schools. Or at least marries well.

What do you think is the most bizarre part of this story? Is little Lucia's mom justified in bringing the lawsuit?

I liked what Babble's Strollerderby's blog had to say. But, yeah this is crazy!

Old 03-16-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
War Child

This woman fails to realize that talent and self-expression pays better than knowledge and experience.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

This really says a lot about competitive people are. I once took a writing class where the instructor, an established author, bragged about how she married her husband just for his money and because his mother was headmistress of a school she wanted her future kids to go to. It's all about keeping up with the Jones' and being the envy of everyone. I think for some people, particularly the upper class, will never realize there's more to life than being rich and having access to everything that is elite.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:55 AM
Did this woman ever read the poster? Everything I need to know I learned in KINDERGARTEN, not pre-school...

Sue next year

Seriously, this entitlement pseudo competitive mentality sickens me.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 02:55 AM
I feel bad for this girl because it's pretty obvious she's not going to have much of a fun childhood. You know the drill - French lessons at six, viola tutors at seven, elocution sessions at eight. And I'm just talking about one evening heh. She'll either grow up completely joyless and repressed or a teenage rebel.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:55 AM
awful!

feel sorry for the poor little kid growing up with that kind of pressure...
Old 03-16-2011, 04:45 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfit00 View Post
This woman fails to realize that talent and self-expression pays better than knowledge and experience.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:37 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

I feel very sorry for the kids of people like her
Old 03-17-2011, 10:34 AM   #9
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
It's a harsh truth. Let me know if you want me to expound it.

By the way, you never answered my Bill Murray question.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:25 PM   #10
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:55 AM
I won't speak for Canadiens, but I would like you to expound on it.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:51 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Huh... there's so many things wrong on both sides of this story.

And what's an Imprescia? Please tell me that's at least her last name.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #12
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:55 AM
This seems to be basically a truth-in-advertising lawsuit--they promised particular curricula based on age and (allegedly) didn't deliver on that, therefore she's demanding a refund. This was the third week of her daughter's second year there, not the third week overall. While I find the idea of grooming a 4-year-old for Harvard absurd, I can understand that if you're paying $19,000 for preschool you expect the curriculum to be what was promised.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:41 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Whatever happened to play for young children?

What have we done?
Old 03-17-2011, 08:53 PM   #14
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
I won't speak for Canadiens, but I would like you to expound on it.
You have a better chance of succeeding in your life when you develop a talent, or when you do things that make you happy and that are fun to do. Just take a look at athletes, singers, musicians, painters, actors, and entrepreneurs; most people love them because of personal and material qualities, but very few people admire the fact that they followed their dreams and did the opposite of what society does.

The trick into succeeding in the world does not lie entirely on education, knowledge, experience, nor graduating from any elite college. Obviously each individual has different goals and dreams but it is helpful in the long run to try different paths to your own success. This same scenario happens in this story where this woman is pretty much forcing her daughter to undergo the stress and competition to get into eliteness, failing to realize that her daughter could invest that valuable time into many other different areas that could potentially pay better in the long run than a BA from Harvard along with a $50K annual salary.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:58 PM   #15
Refugee

Local Time: 07:55 AM
YouTube - George Carlin -Child Worship