NOT all USA Millionaires Are Uber Greedy.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dazzledbylight

Blue Crack Supplier
Patriotic Millionaires for
FISCAL STRENGTH

We are writing to urge you to stand firm against those who would put politics ahead of their country.
For the fiscal health of our nation and the well-being of our fellow citizens, we ask that you allow tax cuts on incomes over $1,000,000 to expire at the end of this year as scheduled.
We make this request as loyal citizens who now or in the past earned an income of $1,000,000 per year or more.
We have done very well over the last several years. Now, during our nation’s moment of need, we are eager to do our fair share.
We don’t need more tax cuts, and we understand that cutting our taxes will increase the deficit and the debt burden carried by other taxpayers. The country needs to meet its financial obligations in a just and responsible way.
Letting tax cuts for incomes over $1,000,000 expire, is an important step in that direction.
Sincerely,
CYNDA COLLINS ARSENAULT
Superior, CO
LAWRENCE B. BENENSON
New York, NY
DANIEL BERGER
Philadelphia, PA
Nancy Blachman
Burlingame, CA
BRADY BRIM-DEFOREST
Los Angeles, CA
Robert S. Bowditch, JR.
Brookline, MA
David A. Brown
Berkeley, CA
MARK BUELL
San Francisco, CA
RICHARD CARBONE
Williamstown, NJ
DOUG CARLSTON
San Rafael, CA
DAVID CHIANG
Las Vegas, NV
Ben Cohen
San Francisco, CA
BILL COLLINS
Buffalo, NY
TOM CONGDON
Denver, CO
ROB DAHLE
Salt Lake City, UT
DAVID DESJARDINS
Burlingame, CA
DOUG EDWARDS
Los Altos, CA
Paul and Joanne Egerman
Boston, MA
BOB EPSTEIN
Berkeley, CA
Ronald Feldman
New York, NY
Jerry Fiddler
Berkeley, CA
Joseph M. Field
Bala Cynwyd, PA
Christopher Findlater
Naples, FL
CHARLIE FINK
Washington, DC
Eric Fredricksen
Los Gatos, CA
DAVID FRIEDMAN
Longmont, CO
GAIL FURMAN
New York, NY
Ron Garret, PHD
Emerald Hills, CA
BILL GAWTHROP
Yorkville, CA
David Goldschmidt
Princeton, NJ
Joshua Gordon
Las Vegas, NV
GARRETT GRUENER
Oakland, CA
DOUG GULLANG
Wayne, IL
RICHARD GUNTHER
Los Angeles, CA
Paul Haggis
New York, NY
NICK AND LESLIE HANAUER
Seattle, WA
SUZANNE AND LAWRENCE HESS
San Diego, CA
Arnold Hiatt
Boston, MA
Leo Hindery, Jr
New York, NY
FRANK J.
BILL JANEWAY
New York, NY
MELISSA C. JOHNSEN
Kirkwood, MO
JOHN S. JOHNSON
New York, NY
ROBERT JOHNSON
New York, NY
WAYNE JORDAN
Oakland, CA
William Jurika
Piedmont, CA

JOEL KANTER
Vienna, VA
JOSHUA KANTER
Sandy, UT
Rochelle Kaplan
Salt Lake City, UT
Ravi Kashyap
Franklin, TN
JOHN KATZMAN
New York, NY
John Kortenhaus
Plano, TX
ROB AND DIANE LIPP
Los Angeles, CA
ART LIPSON
Salt Lake City, UT
EUGENE LONG
Plymouth Meeting, PA
MICHEL MARKS
Red Bank, NJ
Mario Morino
Rocky River, OH
WIN MCCORMACK
Portland, OR
DENNIS MEHIEL
New York, NY
HERBERT MILLER
Washington, DC
Vibhu Mittal
Palo Alto, CA
Moby
New York, NY
WILLIAM J. MORAN
New York, NY
CHRIS NELSON
Barrington, RI
Peter Norvig
Palo Alto, CA
LARRY NUSBAUM
Phoenix, AZ
FRANK PATITUCCI
Pleasanton, CA
Morris Pearl
New York, NY
Gregory Rae
New York, NY
BERNARD RAPOPORT
Waco, TX
GREAT NECK RICHMAN
New York, NY
JONATHAN ROSE
New York, NY
GUY AND JEANINE SAPERSTEIN
Piedmont, CA
Heike Schmitz
Palo Alto, CA
FRITZ SCHNEIDER
San Francisco, CA
DAVID SCHROEDERS
Sarasota, FL
SYBIL SHAINWALD
New York, NY
SUSAN SHORT
New York, NY
Craig Silverstein
Mountain View, CA
MICHAEL STEINHARDT
New York, NY
SANDOR AND FAYE STRAUS
Lafayette, CA
SUNIL TOLANI
New York, NY
PHILLIPE AND KATHERINE S. VILLERS
Concord, MA
SCOTT AND CHRISTY WALLACE
Washington, DC
HON. DAVID WALKER
Bridgeport, CT
David and Vinitha Watson
Oakland, CA
PETER WEINBERGER
New York, NY
GEORGE ZIMMER
Piedmont, CA

Only 375,000 Americans have incomes of over $1,000,000
Between 1979 and 2007, incomes for the wealthiest 1% of Americans rose by 281%
During the Great Depression, millionaires had a top marginal tax rate of 68%
In 1963, millionaires had a top marginal tax rate of 91%
In 1976, millionaires had a top marginal tax rate of 70%
Today, millionaires have a top marginal tax rate of 35%
Reducing the income tax on top earners is one of the most inefficient ways to grow the economy according to the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office
44% of Congress people are millionaires
The tax cuts were never meant to be permanent
Letting tax cuts for the top 2% expire as scheduled would pay down the debt by $700 billion over the next 10 years

http://www.fiscalstrength.com/

I recognize 2 - possibly 3 names here. Thanks to therm, and the others!

It amazes me (in a bad way) that Most if not all Congessional Republicns are whining abuting all the poor millionaires having to pay more [about 3%]-- even after they were given a further compromise the Republicans turned down a further offered of raising the "cut-off" level of sunseting (after 10 years) the Bush Era Tax Cuts for The Wealthiest from the $250,000 originally proposed uop to $1,000,000.

And also doing this...while refusing to extend further unenployment for the various 99'rs ( those unemployed for 2 yrs) UNLESS they get their 2 year extension of continuing of their tax cuts for the wealthiest.

I still hope I might get rich one day/year, and I'd still be happy to pay my share of taxes to help my goverment keep a solid Safety Net, have more $ for Eduaction (in general), Evinronmental & Worker Safety Watchdogs, Affordable Housing, Science & inventions etc

"Taxes are the price we pay for Civilization"

And NO rich/wealthy ever does it "on their own", they usually have help from some family or friends, on the rare chance they don't from either they still often get Governement Benifits when they are either starting out, or small/middle becuase often Government wants to help small buinesses to grow!
While some small businesses will become quite big -above 1 million dollar net profit.....alot will either start small and stay smallish, and others will grow to various range of middle sizes, and maybe a few somewhat big.
(Small businesses are considered the engine that drives the economy)

A business person who has more & more employess; these employees are usually traveling (and products are moved by, and certain people deleivering services are also at the very least travelling on Public Roads, Public Transit (in the cities, and some 'burbs), many of their employees have recieved Public Education, used Public Libraries for they school studies.......

So the (eventually) wealthy business person doesn't do it alone on this vast level.

"To whom much is given, much is required" -JFK
(it's based on Luke[12:38]
in the Bible)

they do here in Massachusetts

we voted in a referendum to kick back the state income tax a few years back(as was intitially promised when they raised it "temporarily") and as a kiss to the local horde of beautiful people gave the option of paying at the old higher rate on the income tax form

guess how that's working out

Have they added a "pay more tax than I owe" box?

Not that I'm aware of, but if these people were as compassionate and willing to help as they make themselves out to be, instead of circulating a pointless letter, why not find a friend, a stranger, or a small business owner and offer to pay their taxes next year?

Plus, the Treasury gladly takes donations, with the website even calling such gifts "expressions of patriotism." Sounds like that's right up these guys' alley. :up:

That list reminded me of that Family Guy line about the FCC, something like "20 people called to complain, and as you know, one call equals a million people, which means 20 million people complained!"

That list reminded me of that Family Guy line about the FCC, something like "20 people called to complain, and as you know, one call equals a million people, which means 20 million people complained!"

Or like the list of 1500 scientists that believe that climate change isn't happening and then you find out only one has anything to do with climatology... :lol:

Or like the list of 1500 scientists that believe that climate change isn't happening and then you find out only one has anything to do with climatology... :lol:

would seem to me the climate has been changing since........oh..........i dunno..........the ice age:doh:

2861 let me ask you, why are you so passionate about not wanting the uber rich to return to their 90's tax percentage? Is it the idea that you might one day be there? Because Rush and Glenn are there and you don't want them angry at you? What is it?

No, none of that. I'm just not naive enough to actually believe that the money would go towards paying the deficit. And if the tax cuts for the wealthier must expire at some point, I honestly cannot imagine a worse time to do it than now. I'll start talking about raising taxes on the rich when others start getting serious about the 50% number (of people who pay no income tax) being chipped away at.

really? we do realize that extending the Bush tax cuts for the wealthiest is actually almost as expensive as the stimulus, yes? that the 1990s proved that we can have a tax rate that actually deals with the deficits, yes? and that the lowered Bush era tax rates haven't created a single job, yes?

and those 50% who pay no taxes, perhaps it's because they have no wealth to tax. we have enormous income inequality in America, and if a small percentage of the population is dead set on owning 95% of the wealth in the country, doesn't it seem logical that they should be paying the most in taxes?

I'm just not naive enough to actually believe that the money would go towards paying the deficit.
Really? You don't believe in your new House? So the truth is no matter who's in charge you just don't believe government wants to pay off debt, correct?

And if the tax cuts for the wealthier must expire at some point, I honestly cannot imagine a worse time to do it than now.
Why? Do you have evidence that anything of significance happened when Bush made those cuts?

I'll start talking about raising taxes on the rich when others start getting serious about the 50% number (of people who pay no income tax) being chipped away at.
Do you understand that 50%(actually it's closer to 45) number? And what do you suggest that we do?

No, none of that. I'm just not naive enough to actually believe that the money would go towards paying the deficit. And if the tax cuts for the wealthier must expire at some point, I honestly cannot imagine a worse time to do it than now. I'll start talking about raising taxes on the rich when others start getting serious about the 50% number (of people who pay no income tax) being chipped away at.

With the income group we are talking about, it's not that relevant whether the economy is in good or bad shape when debating whether or not to grant them tax cuts (why do they need tax cuts of that order, anyway?). The argument generally given is, if you taxed the people higher they would consume less, hence hurt the economy even more.
Well, that may well be the case for the middle income groups, and is certainly the case for those with lower incomes, but if you make one million plus a year, that's no money that goes into consumption. It either goes into saving, into bank accounts abroad or into speculation. Hence, the argument that these people would in turn consume less if taxed higher fails completely.

As Irvine pointed out, those paying no income tax at all are the people who would suffer if their incomes were to be taxed, and that would harm domestic consumption.

where's robin hood when you need him......

Prince-John-walt-disneys-robin-hood-2350797-200-200.jpg

We have enormous income inequality in America, and if a small percentage of the population is dead set on owning 95% of the wealth in the country, doesn't it seem logical that they should be paying the most in taxes?

This is the question.
Wealth has been flowing upward for more than 30 years. What percentage of America's wealth is everyone comfortable with the top 2 percent owning? 75 percent? 85 percent? 95 percent? 99 percent? 99.9 percent?

The less progressive our tax policy is, the greater the wealth inequality becomes. Should we wait until the disparity is so great that the majority of Americans have nothing left to lose? French Revolution time?

Wealth And Inequality In America
^very interesting charts

So the Republicans said, "If you do away with the tax cuts for people with more money than they could ever spend, we will do away with the money that goes to help the people that hardly get by at all.", only to score some cheap political points.
How patriotic.

And if the tax cuts for the wealthier must expire at some point, I honestly cannot imagine a worse time to do it than now.

Inclined to agree, it could have a deflationary effect. Better to try to persuade the rich folk to spend more and invest in productive enterprises rather than leaving their moolah sitting around in bonds and deposit accounts, or worse, squirreling it away offshore for fear that the Obama administration adopts a 'screw the rich' approach. While there are some services that cannot be provided by the private sector and some government operations even generate returns to the taxpayer, the government sector is by definition not economically productive in overall net terms (no offense to anyone that works in the public sector, that's just the way it is).

Possibly, rescinding the tax cuts but allowing some form of tax deduction for high earners who avail of some form of scheme for investing in SME's might make sense.

really? we do realize that extending the Bush tax cuts for the wealthiest is actually almost as expensive as the stimulus, yes?

This just proves that the Tea Party, like we knew all along, are all a bunch of frauds. It wasn't about the deficit for them.

2861's post shows one of the fundemental problems with the Tea Party: where they get their information. That 50% number is used everyday by the likes of Glenn, Rush, Hannity but no one in their audience understands what the number means.

Back
Top Bottom