North Korean soccer team 'shamed in public'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He was blamed for "betraying the trust of Kim Jong-Un", one of dictator Kim Jong-Il's sons, after the country went into the tournament with high hopes of qualifying from the so-called 'Group of Death'.

A source from South Korea’s intelligence community told the Chosun Ilbo newspaper: "In the past, North Korean athletes and coaches who performed badly were sent to prison camps.
“Considering the high hopes North Koreans had for the World Cup, the regime could have done worse things to the team than just reprimand them for their ideological shortcomings."

In that respect, the sons of the dictator are no different from Uday and Qusay Hussein, Saddam's sons. I wonder if they go around raping women for fun.

North Korea is like a huge graveyard - with no life, no joy, just gloom and death.

In that respect, the sons of the dictator are no different from Uday and Qusay Hussein, Saddam's sons. I wonder if they go around raping women for fun.

North Korea is like a huge graveyard - with no life, no joy, just gloom and death.

North Korea is a paradise. No crime. No violence. Only love and glory.

- Vaz writing from Pyongyang ( the glorious capital of North Korea )

That really is awful, but did we expect any different from North Korea?

A six hour reprimand from schoolchildren? How dreadful.

You should see the welcome losing sports teams get from the people of Philadelphia.

Just joking. North Korea is our living reminder of what humanity is capable of when the flock follows blindly, and not enough of them muster the courage to stand up against tyranny. No one really knows much about daily life in North Korea I suppose, but I imagine it as the one place on earth where just about the entirety of the human spirit has been wrung out of it.

Just joking. North Korea is our living reminder of what humanity is capable of when the flock follows blindly, and not enough of them muster the courage to stand up against tyranny.

and you see this as the fault of the citizens of North Korea and not the government that starves them, kills them, tortures them, and ships them off to labor camps where they get starved, tortured, and killed?

No. I am not saying that we should "blame the victim" for the terror of their regime. (Notice I said "regime", and not "government".) North Korea does not have a
government.

My point was that people have to stand for themselves and not just let others run them over (whether speaking of nations or just in the lives of ordinary people -- because it is an unfortunate part of some human nature that some people just want to "do it" to other people). No other country is in any hurry to libertate them, and God has been known to sit these things out. So, if the North Koreans don't stand up for themselves, then how can they ever stop the ones who "tread upon" them? It is an impossibly tragic situation for millions of innocent people, but it seems only they can change it.

In hindsight, my suggestion that the North Korean people have not "mustered the courage" to overthrow their thug oppressors was probably too much. I think that country is so far gone by now that they may not even want to overthrow anything or even know that there is any alternative way of life.

I only mean that, when people are oppressed, and don't take any action to do anything about it (whether on the world stage or just daily life), that passiveness is a cold killer of the human spirit.

Back
Top Bottom