Nobel Peace Prize - and the winner is >>>>>> O! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2009, 05:13 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:27 PM
Nobel Peace Prize - and the winner is >>>>>> O!

Quote:
The winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, one of the world's highest accolades, is to be announced in Oslo on Friday.

The names tipped as potential winners of the 2009 prize include Zimbabwe's prime minister and a Chinese dissident.

Norway's NRK television, which often correctly guesses the prize-winner, focused on Morgan Tsvangirai in its Thursday evening broadcast.

The laureate - chosen by a five-member committee - wins a gold medal, a diploma and 10m Swedish kronor ($1.4m).

NRK predicted that this year the winner would be an individual rather than an organisation, from among a record 205 candidates.

Those reportedly on the list include Chinese dissident Hu Jia and Colombian peace-broker Piedad Cordoba.

French-Colombian activist and former hostage Ingrid Betancourt, rescued last year after five years in captivity, is also reportedly being considered for the honour.

Other possible candidates mentioned include US President Barack Obama, Afghan rights activist Sima Samar and Jordanian interfaith dialogue advocate Prince Ghazi bin Muhammad.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:13 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:27 PM

Old 10-09-2009, 05:15 AM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:27 PM
it's hard to argue with a lot of what tsvangirai has done.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:22 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:27 PM
Yay!
Old 10-09-2009, 05:34 AM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:27 AM
Hmm...
I'm wondering if there really were no candidates more suitable this year. What has Obama really accomplished to warrant this honour now? And what more can he accomplish now, now that he has received this honour, compared to before?

Just wondering...

But also congrats to Obama for getting the Nobel Peace Prize.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:34 AM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popmartijn View Post
Hmm...
I'm wondering if there really were no candidates more suitable this year. What has Obama really accomplished to warrant this honour now? And what more can he accomplish now, now that he has received this honour, compared to before?

Just wondering...

But also congrats to Obama for getting the Nobel Peace Prize.
You are not allowed to wonder these things.....

He was innagurated two weeks before the deadline... That must have been a pretty busy two weeks! Must be TOP SECRET things a happening.

Seriously, WTF? Why not BONO!!!!!!
Old 10-09-2009, 06:58 AM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:27 PM
I'm going to enjoy watching heads explode over this.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:00 AM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 12:27 AM
Yay!
Old 10-09-2009, 07:10 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Umm, why?
Old 10-09-2009, 07:42 AM   #10
New Yorker

I just read an article in the newspaper, 'USA building superbomb', saying that the US is right about to finish a superbomb that can destroy hidden military constructions in the ground....massive ordnance penetrator, blabla. And then the next thing I heard is Obama winning the nobel prize. LOL!
Old 10-09-2009, 07:47 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadsox View Post
He was innagurated two weeks before the deadline... That must have been a pretty busy two weeks! Must be TOP SECRET things a happening.

not really imho.

You´re right in saying that other people would also have earned that prize.

But Obama´s very first action in office was his announcement to close Guantanamo.

And even if America is still at war in Iraq, I think there is an exit plan prepared (I haven´t been following that but anyway).

Also, I think he did a lot of good work in his campaign. I know that now, after the health care plan, Obama is not the most popular person in America, but should I tell you what we witnessed in Europe?

We saw a whole nation in paradigma shift. From the tyrant Bush who kept US citizens in fear, suddenly there emerged a majority of the nation shouting "Yes we can". You can only guess what positive impact this had on the country as a whole.

There´s nothing left to guess with international relations. Everybody loves him and the U.S. already seems much better to Joe Average citizen - from Europe. from Africa. (Ok, Iran´s Ahmadinejad still has some beef with him, but who wouldn´t have beef with Ahmadinejad)

President Obama still has a lot to accomplish, and imo the peace nobel prize is a sign that the academy in Oslo encourages him.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:51 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Well, try to think of it this way - now he has a lot to live up to and might reconsider before ordering any attack or invasion on another country.
Perhaps it was a preventive measure - who knows.
Strange, though...
Old 10-09-2009, 08:01 AM   #13
The Fly

Local Time: 02:27 AM
Sorry, can't be thrilled over it. It's actually quite disturbing. As mentioned before, the nominations to the noble prize must be submitted up until the end of January. What on earth has he done in two weeks of presidency to justify winning a noble peace prize?
It's bringing the celebrity culture into a place it shouldn't be in.

And do you think the noble peace prize should be given to encourage certain things or should be given to someone who's achieved certain things?

I don't believe the first option is what this award is about. And if we are talking about the latter one – then I'm sorry, but despite his popularity there are far more worthy choices.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:05 AM   #14
War Child

I like President Obama. But I think the award is kinda "hollow" at this point in time.

Reminds me of a Star Trek Deep Space Nine episode, where the considered medical prodigy Dr. Bashir was awarded for the Carrigton Award, and here's what Dr. Bashir had to say about it:

Doctor Bashir: The Carrington Award is intended to be the crowning achievement for a lifetime in medicine. April Wade is 106. The last time she was nominated three years ago, people said it was premature!
Lieutenant Jadzia Dax: You're exaggerating!
Doctor Bashir: Maybe, a little. But the undeniable truth is, I am way too young to be a serious contender for the Carrington. Now, put my name up for nomination in 70 years, and I promise you I will get very excited.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:20 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Wasn't that the deadline for submitting candidates? I doubt they actually decided to give him the prize only two weeks into his first term.

Anyway, Obama's off to a pretty good start but it seems a bit premature to give him the prize already since he has yet to deliver on some big promises (though he's taken a couple of good first steps).