Nobel Peace Prize - and the winner is >>>>>> O!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like what Michael Moore wrote...
Find the whole letter on the front page at Michaelmoore.com

Your opposition has spent the morning attacking you for bringing such good will to this country. Why do they hate America so much? I get the feeling that if you found the cure for cancer this afternoon they'd be denouncing you for destroying free enterprise because cancer centers would have to close. There are those who say you've done nothing yet to deserve this award. As far as I'm concerned, the very fact that you've offered to walk into the minefield of hate and try to undo the irreparable damage the last president did is not only appreciated by me and millions of others, it is also an act of true bravery. That's why you got the prize. The whole world is depending on the U.S. -- and you -- to literally save this planet. Let's not let them down.

:applaud::up:
Let the flaming begin...

Another pro-Obama leftie here making this face at the announcement: :huh:

This. I literally woke up to this news and my first words were: WTF?

And I'm a liberal Obama supporter.

I don't get some of you people.

When I heard this at 2 a m while listening to the radio in bed.

I got up and started this thread.
I am genuinely happy for him.

Who is to say when anyone is the best candidate for any award. Every Grammy or Oscar ceremony people say, what? So and so, was more deserving.

He may have been nominated early on. I guess they thought his complete paradigm shift during the campaign and election was worthy.

And honestly the impact of the philosophy of the American President has on the world, for peace and standard of living and such things. I can see why they consider him deserving.

all you naysayers

please tell me who should have won the award?

Those reportedly on the list include:

Chinese dissident Hu Jia
Colombian peace-broker Piedad Cordoba.
French-Colombian activist and former hostage Ingrid Betancourt, rescued last year after five years in captivity.
US President Barack Obama
Afghan rights activist Sima Samar
Jordanian interfaith dialogue advocate Prince Ghazi bin Muhammad.

Seriously?

Which person has had more impact than Obama?

Arafat got the "peace" award. :shrug: This current award just confirms that it is a politically correct award and people shouldn't take so seriously.

Barack should tell the Taliban "I go in peace and you go in pieces" if he wants me to clap for him. :applaud:

And honestly the impact of the philosophy of the American President has on the world, for peace and standard of living and such things. I can see why they consider him deserving.

Cynicism is the dominant paradigm of our time, so that's why most can't see that.

Again, if people see it less in terms of Obama and more in terms of a renewed interest in American leadership in confronting the myriad of problems we face as a world, it starts to make more sense.

Sarkozy congratulates Obama on Nobel Peace Prize | The Cable

"By awarding you its most prestigious prize, the Committee is rewarding your determined commitment to human rights, justice and spreading peace across the world, in accordance with the will of its founder Alfred Nobel. It also does justice to your vision of tolerance and dialogue between States, cultures and civilizations. Finally, it sets the seal on America's return to the heart of all the world's peoples.

I am particularly happy that this Prize is awarded to you today because I know it will bolster your determination to act for justice, for peace and to safeguard the planet's global balance. I am convinced that everyone, all over the world, will draw from this an even stronger determination to cooperate with you and with America to achieve these common objectives." - French President Nicolas Sarkozy, in a letter congratulating Obama's prize win

So, again, we can see this as a chance to tackle the problems before us, or we can continue to bicker about the same old trivial shit as before.

And since I, myself, am quite cynical and quasi-misanthropic these days, I put my bets on the latter, but I'd really like to see the former.

Yes it is a paradigma shift.

How?

For the first time in US history, the current President picked the last Secretary of Defense from the previous administration of the rival party to remain in that post with his administration. Thats a rather large endorsement of the Bush administration. Paradigma shift? Nope. No shift, no change at all there.

Iraq Policy - The Barack Obama administration has followed Bush administration policy on Iraq the past 8 months and plans to for the rest of their time in office.

Iran Policy - Again, following Bush policy on this front as well working with European partners to secure stronger sanctions against Iran in order to get it to cooperate with the international community.

Afghanistan Policy - Has continued increases in troop levels on the ground there started during the Bush administration.

Defense Policy - Obama is expanding the size of the US military, just as Bush had plans to do the same.

Now, you can always find some differences between any two administrations, but at this point, there has been no Paradigma shift let alone any sort of significant shift or change.

He may have been nominated early on. I guess they thought his complete paradigm shift during the campaign and election was worthy.

If you take a closer look, so far, there are far less differences with the previous administration than the Bush hating, worshiping Obama fans would like everyone to believe.

Iran Policy - Again, following Bush policy on this front as well working with European partners to secure stronger sanctions against Iran in order to get it to cooperate with the international community.

I don't remember Bush sending a letter to Iran's supreme leader.

Is this why he hasn't sent troops to Afghanistan yet?

No he's trying to figure out what the best strategy is before committing more troops. Obama has a dollar that's weakening and a healthcare strategy that could wait until after the recession (but it's too politically convenient to do it now while there is a democratic majority in congress) and he has cap and trade to deal with (which will slow economic growth during a weak economy).

The Obama Policy approach is to do as many things as possible because they are interconnected but because of a lack of popular support in congress it's hardly likely that there is enough time to pass everything on top of the fact that many people don't like what he wants to pass (including Democrats).

Obama and the Policy Approach > Publications > National Affairs

The best approach would have been to deal with regulation in the financial markets (if it's good regulation) and to control spending as best as reasonably possible during a recession. And with focussing on the war he would have plenty to deal with during the first 4 years. His popularity would be much higher.

When you balance too many plates at the same time they may all drop and some things are more urgent to get done now in the public's opinion (recession/war) vs. (cap and trade/health reform).

Gandhi didn't get it, six times

In other breaking news, Major League Baseball has awarded the Cy Young Award to President Obama for throwing out the first pitch in the All Star Game

Ghandi had a few racist views, that probably didn't help. I'm more upset Bono didn't get it.

And lol

I'd be willing to bet that other people who have received that award have/had some racist views. And there have been some controversial choices for similar reasons.

I congratulate President Obama and I think he has so much to live up to now, but I just don't get giving this award for potential or promise. I think it was more of a statement about the change in the world's attitude towards the US because of his election, and so much of even that remains to be seen.

tea bag spelling

One of the best deliberate laughs Bush obtained in his last days in office came when he expressed himself pleased at the street reception during his attendance at a NATO summit in Romania.

"A lot of the crowd were waving... some of them with all five fingers," he said.

Bush was acknowledging that many in Old Europe at least could not wait to say goodbye to a man whom they saw as a Cold Warrior at heart, the president who had led the world into a disastrous intervention in Iraq and a man heading a gas-guzzling nation who was not prepared to help the world cope with climate change.

Europeans were alarmed that Bush seemed to be encouraging the climate change deniers. And although he became readier to listen to his European allies during his second term, they never really took to the man whose instinctive response was to use America's military might in the world's trouble spots rather than to stay at the negotiating table and who had little time for the United Nations.

Analysis: Did Obama win Nobel for not being Bush? -

Gandhi didn't get it, six times

In other breaking news, Major League Baseball has awarded the Cy Young Award to President Obama for throwing out the first pitch in the All Star Game

Has someone already posted the criteria for the Nobel Peace Prize or is it basically that the Nobel committee can choose whoever they like?

I actually have no opinion as to whether he "deserves" the award or not. I actually don't care. One could--and people have--debated the worthiness of other awardees.

To be frank, I don't think he really needs this right now, because it's just given the haters more fuel for their fire. But what are you gonna do?

pic_123129432061460.jpg

Expect an announcement any day.

I don't remember Bush sending a letter to Iran's supreme leader.

Well, you could say that about any prior US President. The Policy is the same despite the letter being sent to the Supreme leader. I don't think writing a letter to the "Supreme Leader" of Iran constitutes a Paradigm shift worthy of winning the nobel peace prize.

Who is to say when anyone is the best candidate for any award. Every Grammy or Oscar ceremony people say, what? So and so, was more deserving.

Or MTV video awards. Five'll get you ten when he goes to Oslo to accept, Rush Limbaugh will pop as he's about to give his acceptance speech, take the mike and say, "Now Mr. President, Ima let you finish but I just have to say right now that Bush has done the most for peace of any president of all time!"

This is from the Nobel web site-the original concept of Nobel. Don't know how much they stick to that now.

On 27 November 1895, Alfred Nobel signed his last will and testament, giving the largest share of his fortune to a series of prizes, the Nobel Prizes. As described in Nobel's will, one part was dedicated to "the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses".

Also on their site

Examples of nominated individuals who did not receive the Nobel Peace Prize (1901-1950)

The three most common searches on individuals in the Nobel Peace Prize nomination database, are Adolf Hitler, Mahatma Gandhi and Joseph Stalin.

Joseph Stalin, the Secretary General of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union (1922-1953), was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize in 1945 and 1948 for his efforts to end World War II.

Mahatma Gandhi, one of the strongest symbols of non-violence in the 20th century, was nominated in 1937, 1938, 1939, 1947 and, finally, shortly before he was assassinated in January 1948. Although Gandhi was not awarded the Prize (a posthumous award is not allowed by the statutes), the Norwegian Nobel Committee decided to make no award that year on the grounds that "there was no suitable living candidate".

Adolf Hitler, was nominated once in 1939 by E.G.C. Brandt, member of the Swedish parliament. Brandt changed his mind, however, and the nomination was withdrawn in a letter dated 1 February 1939.

Other statesmen and national leaders who were nominated but not awarded the Nobel Peace Prize:
Czechoslovakia: Thomas G. Masaryk, Edvard Benes,
Great Britain: Neville Chamberlain, Anthony Eden, Clement Attlee,
Ramsay MacDonald, Winston Churchill
USA: the presidents William Howard Taft, Warren G. Harding, Herbert Hoover, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Harry S. Truman &
Dwight D. Eisenhover; the foreign ministers Charles Hughes, John Foster Dulles
France: Pierre Mendès-France
Western Germany: Konrad Adenauer
Argentina: Juan and Eva Peron
India: Mahatma Gandhi, Jawaharlal Nehru
Finland: Juho Kusti Paasikivi
Italy: Benito Mussolini

Artists nominated but not awarded the Peace Prize:
Leo Tolstoy (Russian author), E.M. Remarque (German author), Pablo Casals (Spanish Catalan cellist and later conductor), Nicholas Roerich

Nominees not primarily known for their peace work:
John Maynard Keynes (British economist)
Pierre de Coubertin (French pedagogue and historian best known for founding the International Olympic Committee)
Lord Baden-Powell (Lieutenant-General in the British Army, writer, founder of the Scout Movement)
Maria Montessori (best known for her philosophy and method of educating children from birth to adolescence. Her educational method is still in use today in a number of public as well as private schools throughout the world)

Royal nominees:
Tsar Nikolai II (1901), Prince Carl of Sweden (1919), King Albert I of
Belgium (1922), Emperor Haile Selassi of Ethiopia (1938), King Paul I of Greece
(1950), Princess Wilhelmina of the Netherlands (1951)

Back
Top Bottom