Nobel Peace Prize - and the winner is >>>>>> O! - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2009, 01:12 AM   #106
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoots View Post
Honestly, it is not that difficult to spell Gandhi correctly!

LOL general knowledge.
I'm not sure if "ghandi" technically exists as a word in Hindi, but it's a bit too obvious for comfort what it'd mean if it did. When I teach Indian politics, I always warn my students that they WILL get marked down significantly if they can't be bothered to spell "Gandhi" correctly. Needless to say, only the native English-speakers make that particular mistake anyway!

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:22 AM   #107
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:55 AM
Quote:
McCain says Americans "proud" over Obama's Nobel prize
By DPA
Oct 10, 2009, 3:32 GMT

Washington - US Senator John McCain, who lost his presidential bid last year, said Americans should be happy that his campaign rival President Barack Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize.

'I think Americans are always pleased when their presidents are recognized by something on this order,' McCain said Friday in broadcast remarks.

'We're proud when our president receives an award of that calibre,' he said.
McCain says Americans "proud" over Obama's Nobel prize

Old 10-10-2009, 01:45 AM   #108
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post
Again, if people see it less in terms of Obama and more in terms of a renewed interest in American leadership in confronting the myriad of problems we face as a world, it starts to make more sense.

So, again, we can see this as a chance to tackle the problems before us, or we can continue to bicker about the same old trivial shit as before.
While Obama certainly wouldn't have been on my preferred candidates list, I like this take on it.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:49 AM   #109
War Child

Local Time: 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoots View Post
Honestly, it is not that difficult to spell Gandhi correctly!

LOL general knowledge.
Depends on your intentions.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:29 AM   #110
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
I'm not sure if "ghandi" technically exists as a word in Hindi, but it's a bit too obvious for comfort what it'd mean if it did. When I teach Indian politics, I always warn my students that they WILL get marked down significantly if they can't be bothered to spell "Gandhi" correctly. Needless to say, only the native English-speakers make that particular mistake anyway!
Ha! Yes, it exists in Hindi but is a rude word.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:50 AM   #111
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:55 AM
Let's see what the President has done recently....lobbied for three controversial provisions of the Patriot Act to remain in their current form....

From 10/9 Wall Street Journal

Quote:
Patriot Act Redo Clears Split Panel

By EVAN PEREZ

WASHINGTON -- A Senate panel backed a new version of counterterrorism measures, but the closer-than-expected 11-8 vote highlighted troubles that the Obama administration faces in trying to notch a rare bipartisan win in Congress.

The Senate Judiciary Committee voted Thursday to extend to 2013 three provisions of the USA Patriot Act, but with modifications that supporters said would improve privacy protections for Americans.

Debate over renewing the legislation, which was first passed in the weeks following the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, comes amid a continuing federal probe of an alleged al Qaeda bombing plot in the U.S. Supporters of extending the law have cited the case, still unfolding in Denver and New York, as a reason for continuing counterterrorism measures already in place.

The Senate Judiciary Committee approved a revised version of the Patriot Act in a closer-than-expected 11-8 vote, with both liberals and conservatives expressing concerns. WSJ's Evan Perez reports.

The bill now moves to the full Senate for consideration. But passing the legislation appears more complicated than expected. Five of seven Republicans and three of 12 Democrats voted against the legislation Thursday -- for opposite reasons. Some liberals said the modifications didn't go far enough to satisfy civil-liberties concerns and rein in the government's snooping powers. Conservatives raised objections to amendments that they said could hamper the work of counterterrorism investigators.

At stake are three Patriot Act provisions that are set to expire at the end of December. One provision deals with "roving wiretaps" aimed at tracking suspects who try to evade surveillance with tactics such as quickly changing cellphone numbers. Others involve the government's access to business and library records, and government probes of "lone wolf" members of terrorism groups.

The bill approved Thursday includes new court oversight and additional administrative steps that terrorism investigators have to comply with. It also adds notification requirements to a separate law governing National Security Letters. Government investigative agencies use the letters, a type of administrative subpoena without court oversight, to gather business records such as telecommunications data related to suspects in terrorism probes.

The Obama administration asked Congress to renew the provisions in their current form, but said it was open to discuss changes. A White House aide said Thursday officials are studying the changes the Judiciary panel made over the past two weeks.

Senate Judiciary Chairman Patrick Leahy (D., Vt.) said lawmakers were trying to ensure "security and liberty" in passing the legislation. He cited the alleged bombing plot in urging passage of the bill. "Our bill will provide the tools that are needed to protect us, while increasing the protections of our vital constitutional rights, as well," he said.

Sen. Jeff Sessions of Alabama, the top Republican on the panel, said, "The last place in our government that we ought to put additional burdens on investigators would be in a national-security case."

The American Civil Liberties Union had endorsed changes proposed by Sen. Russell Feingold (D., Wis.) that would have led to a broader rewrite of provisions in the Patriot Act and in other counterterrorism laws.

Michael Macleod-Ball, acting director of the ACLU's Washington legislative office, said, "This truly was a missed opportunity for the Senate Judiciary Committee to right the wrongs of the Patriot Act and stand up for Americans' Fourth Amendment rights" against unreasonable searches and seizures.
....Approved increase of troops (by about 50%) to Afghanistan--a move I don't necessarily disagree with, except for the fact that I don't see any particular reason for hope for change in that region.

Obama approves Afghanistan troop increase - CNN.com

......Approved withdrawal of 4000 troops in Iraq in October and most troops withdrawn by August 2010.

Mixed reviews.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #112
Refugee

Local Time: 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntalwar View Post
The letter is only the tip of the iceberg, and was used as an example. I really don't see how it equates to "Again, following Bush policy..." as you stated. If that were the case, Obama would have held over Bush's national security and diplomatic teams. Diplomacy with Iran wasn't even on the table under Bush.

Well, I guess that shows you have not heard about the many talks that Iranian and American officials had in Baghdad during the Bush years. Obama did hold over Bush's Secretary of Defense which is unprecented in United States history given that Gates was serving and Administration of a rival party.

The Bush administration has been working for years with France, Russia, China, Germany, other European countries, the IAEA in order to resolve the problem of Iran's nuclear development.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:03 PM   #113
Refugee

Local Time: 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiphop View Post

fraternity between nations:

the Europe - US connection and the Russia - US connection. Both have improved with Obama.

abolition or reduction of standing armies -
this also applies to arms especially nuclear arms, and Obama promotes a nuclear free world, and went away from the space arms blah shield so this is the trick:
getting Russia on the table to discuss about threats like nuclear proliferation of middle east

1. There were reductions in nuclear weapons between Russia and the United States during the Bush years.

2. Conventional military arms under both countries though have continued to increase, even while Obama has been in office. Its a stated aim of Obama to increase the size of the US military.

3. Russia has worked with the United States on the threat of nuclear proliferation in the middle east and elsewhere since the Clinton years. This is nothing new.

Quote:

The world wants peace. An overwhelming majority of people who live on this planet want peace.
There has never been an American President that did not want peace.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:17 PM   #114
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Maybe for his next trick, Obama can bring peace between the left and right in America.
It'll never happen as long as one side doesn't want it.

And one side definitely doesn't.

After all such a peace will put Limbaugh, Beck, and Co. out of a job.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:00 PM   #115
Refugee

Quote:
It'll never happen as long as one side doesn't want it.

And one side definitely doesn't.

After all such a peace will put Limbaugh, Beck, and Co. out of a job.
and the other side being snoody and self rightous about it doesnt help either
Old 10-11-2009, 07:39 AM   #116
War Child

I am still shocked over this award announcement. Don't get me wrong: I think Obama was the right winner for the US Presidency, I was glad he won the election.
But seriously..... Nobel price? Already? I feel like they awarded it to him because he has been in the office for 10 months and hasn't started any wars yet.

oh well....
Old 10-11-2009, 10:30 AM   #117
War Child

Local Time: 02:55 AM
How can a guy who's commander of chief in two active wars win a peace prize? Why even Bono was more deserving.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:58 AM   #118
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

You can't blame anyone for inheriting two wars.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:51 AM   #119
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
and the other side being snoody and self rightous about it doesnt help either
Let's say, that the Democrats were not snooty and self-righteous, but were humble and cooperative, do you think Limbaugh or Beck would change their tune? After all Obama has made quite an effort at reaching out in a bipartisan manner.

Of course, not. It's not in their financial interest to do so. They've made a bucket load of money promoting a particular worldview.
They'd be fools to change.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:42 PM   #120
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGD75 View Post
I am still shocked over this award announcement. Don't get me wrong: I think Obama was the right winner for the US Presidency, I was glad he won the election.
But seriously..... Nobel price? Already? I feel like they awarded it to him because he has been in the office for 10 months and hasn't started any wars yet.

oh well....
Actually, the deadline to be nominated was just a few weeks after his inaguration.

I personally think he got nominated and then won because people were just so overwhelmed with happiness that America actually elected someone as president who has intellectual ability, can speak coherently and is willing to give diplomacy a shot. Those are good things, but honestly, they should be qualities the leader of any country should possess in order to be considred at least half-way decent. It's sad how far GWB lowered the bar.