Nobel Peace Prize - and the winner is >>>>>> O! - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-09-2009, 07:41 PM   #91
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,943
Local Time: 08:15 PM
Well, Bush did not go to war against Iran, and he also did go to the United Nations on Iraq and got authorization in resolution 1441 to launch the invasion. Then, in resolution 1483, the UN approved the occupation resulting from the invasion. The UN has approved the occupation of Iraq every year through 2008. Continued US presence in Iraq is now a matter for the Iraqi government, and Obama has followed Bush's plan here as well.
__________________

__________________
Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:44 PM   #92
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,974
Local Time: 03:15 PM
Media Matters

Also on his radio show, Beck said: "I really think this is a validation of all things. The Nobel Peace Prize should be turned down by Barack Obama and given ... to the Tea Party goers and the 9-12 Project because -- because of the arrogance ... because of the arrogance of the progressives that thought no one would stand in their way, that he would be able to accomplish everything. Two weeks into his presidency, they nominated him for it and said, oh, this is going to be a slam dunk. And because of the Tea Party goers and the 9-12 Project people that stood in his way and stopped him from accomplishing the things that he thought -- please, I'm the messiah. I'll be able to accomplish that. We have now seen -- we are now pulling the curtain back and seeing, oh, wait a minute, he just got an award for doing things he couldn't get done. Hmm." [The Glenn Beck Program, 10/9/09]



Posted Friday, October 09, 2009 11:28 AM
Rush Limbaugh: "Nobel Gang Just Suicide-Bombed Themselves"
Newsweek


It’s hard to tell who is more shocked by this morning’s announcement that Obama has won the Nobel Peace Prize. Obama? Bill Clinton? The right? The left? Reporters who were present at the Oslo announcement audibly gasped. Obama has barely started his first term and has been awarded the greatest achievement for world peace … after just 263 days in office.

But perhaps the Nobel Peace Prize committee has succeeded in pro-actively promoting peace—in joining the hands of America’s liberal and conservative blogosphere.

Obamamania comes as little surprise to Rush Limbaugh, who e-mailed us this morning after we asked him to share his thoughts. “The Nobel gang just suicide-bombed themselves. Gore, Carter, Obama, soon Bill Clinton. See a pattern here? They are all leftist sell-outs. George Bush liberates 50 million Muslims in Iraq, Reagan liberates hundreds of millions of Europeans and saves parts of Latin America. Any awards?” Limbaugh says “Obama gives speeches trashing his own country and for that gets a prize, which is now worth as much as whatever prizes they are putting in Cracker Jacks these days.”

“This fully exposes the illusion that is Barack Obama. It is a greater embarrassment than losing the Olympics bid. And with this "award" the elites of the world are urging Obama, THE MAN OF PEACE, to not do the surge in Afghanistan, not take action against Iran and its nuclear program and to basically continue his intentions to emasculate the United States. They love a weakened, neutered U.S. and this is their way of promoting that concept. I think God has a great sense of humor, too.”
__________________

__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:45 PM   #93
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 6,615
Local Time: 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
Has someone already posted the criteria for the Nobel Peace Prize or is it basically that the Nobel committee can choose whoever they like?

I actually have no opinion as to whether he "deserves" the award or not. I actually don't care. One could--and people have--debated the worthiness of other awardees.

To be frank, I don't think he really needs this right now, because it's just given the haters more fuel for their fire. But what are you gonna do?
The only criteria I recall, after you've been suggested, is that you are alive (there's no posthumous awards in any Nobel prize field) and with the Peace Prize that you have done something important to the cause in the preceding year. However, the last requirement is not strict I'd say. If you took a look at previous laureates they hardly ever received the Nobel Peace Prize in the year after probably their biggest achievement, but some time after when their full achievement could have been assessed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Media Matters

Also on his radio show, Beck said: "I really think this is a validation of all things. The Nobel Peace Prize should be turned down by Barack Obama and given ... to the Tea Party goers and the 9-12 Project because -- because of the arrogance ... because of the arrogance of the progressives that thought no one would stand in their way, that he would be able to accomplish everything. Two weeks into his presidency, they nominated him for it and said, oh, this is going to be a slam dunk. And because of the Tea Party goers and the 9-12 Project people that stood in his way and stopped him from accomplishing the things that he thought -- please, I'm the messiah. I'll be able to accomplish that. We have now seen -- we are now pulling the curtain back and seeing, oh, wait a minute, he just got an award for doing things he couldn't get done. Hmm." [The Glenn Beck Program, 10/9/09]
Are his talks always that incoherent? There's not one sentence from beginning to end that makes a correct sentence. I don't see what point he is trying to make. Well, I see it, but not from what he says.
__________________
Vincent Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:48 PM   #94
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,974
Local Time: 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
Five'll get you ten when he goes to Oslo to accept, Rush Limbaugh will pop as he's about to give his acceptance speech, take the mike and say, "Now Mr. President, Ima let you finish but I just have to say right now that Bush has done the most for peace of any president of all time!"
But Rush would be completely sober and not drunk on a bottle of cognac

Who is more of an egomaniac-Kanye or Rush?
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #95
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,882
Local Time: 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post

Who is more of an egomaniac-Kanye or Rush?

The question of the ages.
__________________
maycocksean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:01 PM   #96
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,974
Local Time: 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
Are his talks always that incoherent?

Yes
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:43 PM   #97
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
hiphop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the jungle
Posts: 7,410
Local Time: 10:15 PM
On 27 November 1895, Alfred Nobel signed his last will and testament, giving the largest share of his fortune to a series of prizes, the Nobel Prizes. As described in Nobel's will, one part was dedicated to "the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses".

well there you go, the commitee has to follow the will of Nobel. Let´s take a look:

fraternity between nations:

the Europe - US connection and the Russia - US connection. Both have improved with Obama.

abolition or reduction of standing armies -
this also applies to arms especially nuclear arms, and Obama promotes a nuclear free world, and went away from the space arms blah shield so this is the trick:
getting Russia on the table to discuss about threats like nuclear proliferation of middle east

for the holding and promotion of peace congresses - I strongly suggest a follow up, and I´m sure many NGOs can assist. Lets promote Peace.

for the abolition or reduction of standing armies I suggest reduction of troops - not only US but the world has to collaborate.

another positive effect is that everyone is talking about the Nobel peace prize and if he deserves it or not and whatnot. Most of the comments I have heard are not Limbaugh-ish- but the contrary...

The world wants peace. An overwhelming majority of people who live on this planet want peace.

This is the effect I hear from the media.

This also is the effect I see on this messageboard from YOU, dear FYMers. How many comments would a thread on the peace nobel prize get if it had been rewarded to someone else? Four? Five? How many views? Fifty?

In case this Nobel peace prize was given to him too early or he doesn´t deserve it or not yet as many of you say - - what do you want? Get up on your feet and promote peace yourself. Write to your congressman and tell them you want to help the President reach his goals by promoting peace conferences in every major American city.

This price implies change... and reminds President Obama of his duties.

In that light,
with everyone talking about Peace now - and if Obama did enough, as of yet, to promote it:
the decision of the committee is a smart decision
__________________
hiphop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:43 PM   #98
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Bono's shades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: The back of beyond
Posts: 5,038
Local Time: 03:15 PM
I'm another Obama supporter who saw the headline this morning and thought WTF?

I'd like to think this will spur him to actually follow though on stuff he has promised, such as closing Gitmo. On the other hand, I'm afraid this will cause more harm than good because of the potential for backlash.
__________________
Bono's shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:36 PM   #99
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
ntalwar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,900
Local Time: 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
The Policy is the same despite the letter being sent to the Supreme leader.
The letter is only the tip of the iceberg, and was used as an example. I really don't see how it equates to "Again, following Bush policy..." as you stated. If that were the case, Obama would have held over Bush's national security and diplomatic teams. Diplomacy with Iran wasn't even on the table under Bush.
__________________
ntalwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:11 PM   #100
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,800
Local Time: 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannieco View Post
"I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many transformative figures that have been honored by this prize," Obama said.
When he's right, he's right.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:49 PM   #101
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 02:15 PM
Any word yet on Sarah Palin winning the Pulitzer or Nobel Prize in Literature for her yet to be published memoir?
__________________
INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:04 PM   #102
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,251
Local Time: 03:15 PM
Obama may in fact be the perfect recipient of this award. I mean, past winners have said things that don't exactly promote peace and tolerance. Just look at Al Gore stating that President Bush "BETRAYED THIS COUNTRY!!!" and Betty Williams describing how she would literally love to kill George W. Bush. Real peace-loving people, there.
__________________
2861U2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:08 AM   #103
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,714
Local Time: 12:15 PM
Maybe for his next trick, Obama can bring peace between the left and right in America.
__________________
corianderstem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:09 AM   #104
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,920
Local Time: 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Maybe for his next trick, Obama can bring peace between the left and right in America.
let's stick to something achievable, like peace in the middle east.
__________________
coolian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:39 AM   #105
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,661
Local Time: 02:15 PM
__________________

__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bangladeshi Inventor of Microcredit Wins Nobel Peace Prize yolland Free Your Mind Archive 7 10-17-2006 03:35 PM
Bono favored to win the Nobel Peace Prize LyricalDrug Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive 106 10-07-2005 07:16 PM
Bono - Nobel Peace Prize!? PopTart, Pamela Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive 21 03-04-2002 06:00 PM
Nominate Bono for the Nobel Peace Prize ocu2fan Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive 22 01-09-2002 04:18 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com