Nobel Peace Prize - and the winner is >>>>>> O! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2009, 08:25 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:16 AM
He won it on promise. Now he'll have to earn it on performance.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:27 AM   #17
The Fly

Local Time: 06:16 AM
Yes it was just the deadline, but the decision to nominate him also had to be based on something.

With all due respect to his good intentions, that's not what you give a noble peace prize for. Unless of course, this is entirely political and meant to discourage any attack on Iran. In this case, it's a big shame the noble peace prize is being used for political purposes (and not for the first time).

Old 10-09-2009, 08:31 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarit View Post
With all due respect to his good intentions, that's not what you give a noble peace prize for.
Oh really? Are you part of the nobel prize committee?

Apparently you haven´t read my post. It´s not limited to intentions.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:32 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiphop View Post
not really imho.

You´re right in saying that other people would also have earned that prize.

But Obama´s very first action in office was his announcement to close Guantanamo.

And even if America is still at war in Iraq, I think there is an exit plan prepared (I haven´t been following that but anyway).

Also, I think he did a lot of good work in his campaign. I know that now, after the health care plan, Obama is not the most popular person in America, but should I tell you what we witnessed in Europe?

We saw a whole nation in paradigma shift. From the tyrant Bush who kept US citizens in fear, suddenly there emerged a majority of the nation shouting "Yes we can". You can only guess what positive impact this had on the country as a whole.

There´s nothing left to guess with international relations. Everybody loves him and the U.S. already seems much better to Joe Average citizen - from Europe. from Africa. (Ok, Iran´s Ahmadinejad still has some beef with him, but who wouldn´t have beef with Ahmadinejad)

President Obama still has a lot to accomplish, and imo the peace nobel prize is a sign that the academy in Oslo encourages him.
I thought that the Nobel Peace Prize was supposed to be awarded to people who stopped wars, fought for human rights, helped people out of poverty, etc. Not to people who made others feel better.

EDIT: Even the Guardian thinks the decision is dumb.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:40 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

speedracer, are you saying that closing Guantanamo is not fighting for human rights?

wouldn´t free healthcare (that got shot down by the American middle and upper class that suddenly fears losing its priviledges and having to pay for the poorer Americans) contribute to help people out of poverty and misery?

As to stopping wars, we will see. However, do not underestimate the relief of the world community when the last American President, who started two wars, was finally out of office, not replaced by another warmonger.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:44 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiphop View Post
speedracer, are you saying that closing Guantanamo is not fighting for human rights?
How many people does this benefit? It's a molecule in a bucket compared to what others have accomplished.

Quote:

wouldn´t free healthcare (that got shot down by the American middle and upper class that suddenly fears losing its priviledges and having to pay for the poorer Americans) contribute to help people out of poverty and misery?
Nothing is free, and it's possible but far from obvious that Obama's health care plans would have had a positive effect.

Quote:

As to stopping wars, we will see. However, do not underestimate the relief of the world community when the last American President, who started two wars, was finally out of office, not replaced by another warmonger.
You wouldn't have given the award to, say, John Kerry if he had run for office and won, would you?
Old 10-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #22
Refugee

wow, a noble piece prize for.............doing your job.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:54 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

From one of my friends on Facebook:

"So, basically, George W. Bush won the Nobel War Prize?"
Old 10-09-2009, 09:10 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I wouldn´t say a molecule in a bucket. Anyway valid points, speedracer. What really surprises me- Americans seem not to be very proud that their President won the prize.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:19 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

It's not that I'm not proud (hey I voted for him for POTUS), but I have to agree with this point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarit View Post
do you think the noble peace prize should be given to encourage certain things or should be given to someone who's achieved certain things?

I don't believe the first option is what this award is about. And if we are talking about the latter one – then I'm sorry, but despite his popularity there are far more worthy choices.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:27 AM   #26
Blue Crack Distributor

this is an absolute joke. i voted for obama, i like obama... but this award was given to him for one reason and one reason only; he's not george bush.

obama may do something that warrants him winning the peace prize in the future, but he hasn't done jack diddily squat compared to other candidates yet. and don't give me this he closed g'tmo bullcrap line. guantanamo bay is still open and operational to this very day. this is a political stunt that cheapens the peace prize. nothing more.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:30 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

What a joke, yet not surprising. It won't be long before they rename it the Obama Peace Prize, I'm guessing. Oh well... that award stopped being relevant a long time ago.

And you gotta love the Daily Kos. Headline right now? "Conservatives and the Taliban agree- Obama winning the Nobel Peace Prize a bad idea."

Old 10-09-2009, 09:53 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

I think he does not deserve this, not by a long shot- and that it remains to be seen if he ever would. Maybe he won it for not being George W Bush. Nobel Peace Prize jumps shark?

A Nobel Peace Prize for hope? Seriously?

Wall Street Journal

Lech Walesa On Obama Peace Prize: “Who? What? So Fast?”

Poland is stunned to see the Nobel Peace Prize given to U.S. President Barack Obama. You can always count on Poland’s outspoken ex-president and its best-know Nobel Prize laureate Lech Walesa to be undiplomatic:

“Who? What? So fast?” a shocked Walesa said when reporters told him about the latest Obama win.

“Well, there’s hasn’t been any contribution to peace yet. He’s proposing things, he’s initiating things, but he is yet to deliver,” he said.

Walesa went on to say that we should see this as encouragement for Obama.

Others in Poland are also amazed, so much so that they began questioning the value of the prize.

“Nobel Shnobel,” said Bartosz Weglarczyk, commentator for daily Gazeta Wyborcza. “Obama has great potential, great possibilities, but the peace prize for plans to do something? Chinese dissidents lost as usual because they can no longer plan anything. It’s absurd.”

“Maybe an award like that would be more justifiable in a year from now,” said Tadeusz Iwinski, a Member of Parliament representing the post-communist camp that is traditionally pro-Democrat.

In one of the rarest moments when he agrees with Lech Walesa, Polish president’s identical twin brother Jaroslaw Kaczynski, who also is the country’s opposition leader, said the prize is to encourage Obama and give the U.S. president a boost.

“This is a Nobel Prize for hope,” Kaczynski said. “I think this prize is supposed to encourage him, put an obligation on him, and to boost his weakening position.”

Political scientist Zbigniew Lewicki, professor at Warsaw University, thinks the committee’s decision “is absurd.”

“It’s as if the Nobel Prize in literature went to someone who published a book of poetry - a very interesting one, but just a debut,” he said. “For the first time the prize was given to someone who has plans, but no achievements. This is a purely political decision that could also be called a perverse verdict.”

Envy? Not really. It’s just a matter of comparison.

When Lech Walesa received the honor in 1983, he had been an anticommunist dissident for more than a decade, kept in custody by the communist regime in 1981 and 1982, fired from his job, with his name banned by communist censors.

It was given to him in the darkest period of Poland’s 20th century history, at the height of the Cold War that could at any time transform into a very hot and nuclear conflict.

In 1983, the prize went to someone who was a global symbol of anticommunism with an impressive record, a complicated present and an uncertain future in a country oppressed by the Soviet tyrant.

And now? Poland feels the prize goes to a big question mark.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:54 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
this is an absolute joke. i voted for obama, i like obama... but this award was given to him for one reason and one reason only; he's not george bush.

obama may do something that warrants him winning the peace prize in the future, but he hasn't done jack diddily squat compared to other candidates yet. and don't give me this he closed g'tmo bullcrap line. guantanamo bay is still open and operational to this very day. this is a political stunt that cheapens the peace prize. nothing more.
Completely agreed.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:01 AM   #30
Refugee

Oye!!! This will just be fuel for talk radio, and was IMO a bad decision. I agree with several of the above posters who think this was not deserved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
And you gotta love the Daily Kos. Headline right now? "Conservatives and the Taliban agree- Obama winning the Nobel Peace Prize a bad idea."

Funny how every right-wing website has at one time or another made some sort of reference to the Taliban endorsing Obama, the Democrats, or their ideas, but the second that exact same satire is pointed in the other direction, it's suddenly coocoo, unfounded, wrong, off-limits, etc. Lighten up!

I mean, it's Kos after all.