Noam Chomsky vs William Buckley

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mind you they weren't all civil in those days. Didn't Gore Vidal and someone (Buckley perhaps) nearly come to blows during some debate in the sixties?

It's nice to watch and hear knowledgeable people thinking on their feet (figuratively in this case as they're seated) and carrying on a debate without spinning each of their responses into a pre-rehearsed sound-bite or talking point.

It's nice to watch and hear knowledgeable people thinking on their feet (figuratively in this case as they're seated) and carrying on a debate without spinning each of their responses into a pre-rehearsed sound-bite or talking point.

Exactly.

Yeah I like Socratic dialogue in that the host doesn't necessarily have full control and it becomes much more up to the viewer to decide who won. In a political debate there's always smoke and mirrors and sometimes a dumbing down to pander to viewers. With non-politicians there's more freedom on viewpoints.

I lost all respect for Buckley and any supposed principles upon which he claimed to base his views when he supported George W. Bush all the way. I hope he rots in hell.

Back
Top Bottom