No long answers on exams anymore? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2009, 04:16 AM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Somehow as a member of a profession that routinely works 80-90 hours a week, I don't have a lot of sympathy for this line of argument. My Mom and brother are both teachers, they both have about 3 hours during the school day of prep time during which they can grade materials, among other things. And they are done their day at about 2:30 pm. Even when my brother coaches, he's home by 5. I don't remember a day I was home by 5.

(My brother would be the first to tell you that he is perfectly capable of grading within a reasonable amount of time, and he teaches high school English, where there really is a lot of volume.)

I wasn't suggesting sympathy, just the thought that maybe this kind of testing is born out of laziness. But certainly not by all teachers.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:14 AM   #17
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:10 PM
90% of my exams are also like this. Even if you have to make a very long and difficult calculation, there's always a casket at the bottom of the paper where you should write your result. The theoretical part is tested by MC questions. In the end, a failure rate of 70% is normal

Old 09-27-2009, 08:14 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

In a way it sounds like, "Since the students can't write in their own language properly anymore, we won't bother them with that and just ask for multiple choice."

Our exams always have only a small amount of MC questions. I think profs officially aren't even allowed to do MC, but usually there is one block of maybe ten or 15 MC questions. All else is long answer, though mostly it shouldn't be more than half a page. My problem always is, though, that one, I can't write very fast and two, I tend to get a bit long in my answers. So I frequently run out of time.
And my handwriting is so bad I'm always sorry for the Professor having to read it. But I can't write better, especially not on the tenth page towards the end of a four hours exam. I prefer term papers by a mile.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:02 AM   #19
New Yorker

^Why aren't they allowed to do MC questions?
So far as I know, the new Master rules concerning MC are also relevant for Bachelor students now. Usually you get minus points for a wrong answer, now you have questions with 6 or 7 possibilities but only one is the right one and wrong answers don't count anymore.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:29 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I don't have a clue. But they always say that MC are officially not welcome. Still, we often have a few, so it doesn't seem to be a strict rule.
So far we had the traditional system, i.e. four possibilities, sometimes, but not always, more than one possible right answer and no minus points if wrong. Though even that depends on the professor.
Another professor does exams where she asks something and we have to say Right, because... or Wrong, because...
Old 09-27-2009, 11:30 AM   #21
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
I don't have a clue. But they always say that MC are officially not welcome.
MC not welcome sounds like something students would ask for (at least the ones at my uni or degree)
Old 09-27-2009, 01:04 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:10 AM
Quote:
Somehow as a member of a profession that routinely works 80-90 hours a week, I don't have a lot of sympathy for this line of argument. My Mom and brother are both teachers, they both have about 3 hours during the school day of prep time during which they can grade materials, among other things. And they are done their day at about 2:30 pm. Even when my brother coaches, he's home by 5. I don't remember a day I was home by 5.

(My brother would be the first to tell you that he is perfectly capable of grading within a reasonable amount of time, and he teaches high school English, where there really is a lot of volume.)

lol, your profession also makes 2-3xs what teachers make. Teachers are also expected to stay after school and help students/tutor/plan, all unpaid. All that said, I can't complain about my job because I knew what I was in for and I happen to be very happy with my choice of profession. I usually work a 10 hour day.

Anyway, my experience as a teacher has been not at all similar to your mother's or your brother's. I don't know any teachers that have 3 free hours a day.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:41 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHoneyAlways View Post

Anyway, my experience as a teacher has been not at all similar to your mother's or your brother's. I don't know any teachers that have 3 free hours a day.
In Ontario, high school teachers teach 3 periods a day, and have 2 periods free. About 10 years ago, the Conservative government introduced a Bill that would require them to teach 4 periods and have only 1 off (which would have left them with about 1 hour and 20-25 minutes free per day). The union immediately went on strike, for a period of 3 weeks, the government backed down, they got substantial raises and as a part of collective bargaining, were also assured that they would not have to do a 4/1, but stuck with the 3/2. So that is how they have that amount of time off, and this is a province-wide matter in the most populous province in the nation.

This adds up to about 3 hours of prep time a day. Sometimes, my brother will have to give up a half of one of those periods (so 40 minutes or so) for cafeteria duty. He is on cafeteria duty for one week every 3 or 4 weeks.

I have the utmost respect for teachers. But I also remember very well not getting assignments back for 3, 4, 5 weeks (in fact there are STILL outstanding papers from my high school English classes that I don't have back, and this is more than a decade later...). It's unprofessional, and it's bad time management. I don't think that teaching has to be run like the private sector, but at the same time, I absolutely get the frustration of those who say that they don't get things back in a timely manner, and I do think there is a very large laziness factor involved in exclusively multiple choice exams, as has been pointed out by others on this thread.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:53 PM   #24
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

personally, when it comes to taking a test, it really doesn't bother me whether the questions are fill in the blank, multiple choice, short answer, or long answer. for me, either i know the material or i don't. though in terms of grading i prefer others over long answer just because like i said, those take longer to grade.

i'm taking two college classes at the moment and both involve lots of essay writing. so at least at my college, long answers are still alive and well.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:27 AM   #25
Refugee

Local Time: 11:10 AM
long answer/essay questions actually make you think, which in this day and age has become, like, gay or something.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:40 PM   #26
Refugee

Local Time: 03:10 PM
If the institutional education system's primary goal was educating children, summer vacation would have disappeared a long time ago.

Scheduling and exam rankings accommodate the system (teachers and adminstrators).

With MC, you can skim the teaching and learning and ride the outcome probabilities on a bell curve. Yee-ha.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:55 PM   #27
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn2441 View Post
long answer/essay questions actually make you think, which in this day and age has become, like, gay or something.
excuse me?
Old 09-28-2009, 11:04 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Wow. 3 hours of prep? I'd kill for that. I got home from work at 8 tonight, was planning to be back in the classroom by 7 (though it this rate it's going to be more like 8) tomorrow morning. Home by 5? Day done at 2:30? If only!

Of course my 1.5 hour commute each way doesn't help (though tonight I stayed here in Columbus instead of driving home). More than anything I'd like to have more prep time. All I get is a half hour on Monday and 40 minutes on Thursday. I feel like the quality of my lessons really suffer as a result.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:08 PM   #29
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
excuse me?
Ok, being smart and studying hard are often thought of by some young people as uncool, or "gay" as highschoolers say. And futhermore, long answer/essay questions always seemed to be a big pain in the ass, rather than looked at as a challenge.

Make more sense? I guess my bitter/smartass ramblings don't always make sense
Old 09-28-2009, 11:11 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliEnvy View Post
If the institutional education system's primary goal was educating children, summer vacation would have disappeared a long time ago.
Yikes!

I am so glad I went to school years ago. I think I would have blown my brains out if I had year round school.