Nixon's view of abortion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, choosing the sex is a great example. In the future, there will be hundreds of options to choose from for your baby, and unfortunately, all of them could be grounds for someone to terminate their pregnancy, whether justified, or yes, even racist reasons.

...Or do we draw the line somewhere, legislatively? (is that a word?)
I don't see why any pro-choice person need object to, for instance, the legal measures I mentioned above which certain Asian countries have adopted to bring their badly skewed sex ratios back to normative range. Serious oversupplies of children of one sex will most likely directly cause manifestly evident social problems further down the line, and the state pretty clearly has a compelling interest in preventing those.

It occurs to me, though, that "in the future" these kinds of concerns are likely to revolve more around what happens at fertility clinics, not abortion clinics. If the relevant screening/engineering technologies were widely available, affordable, and ethically accepted, people would probably increasingly come to think of getting pregnant as a medical procedure, with fertilization taking place in a doctor's office: after all, why bother getting pregnant the old-fashioned crapshoot way only to discover the fetus' genes for whatever aren't up to your standards and going through with an abortion, when you could've selected for all that before conception ever occurred and spared yourself the trouble?

You mean none of you have found the glaring hypocrisy that fguy single handedly found 30 years after the fact? But he made it so obvious.

feeling that someone who feels they are not capable of raising a child for whatever reasons should be allowed an abortion does not equal saying that everyone in that same situation must have an abortion

this thread should have been ended prematurely

Nixon was the Edsel of presidents. Why would we give merit to his nearly 40 year old ramblings? The man was a buffoon and unfortunately the country elected his ass twice.

The only thing that he really had going for him was that he visited China.

Nixon was the Edsel of presidents. Why would we give merit to his nearly 40 year old ramblings? The man was a buffoon and unfortunately the country elected his ass twice.

The only thing that he really had going for him was that he visited China.

I agree. Though, during the Nixon years, I was too young to vote.

Back
Top Bottom