Nixon's view of abortion - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2009, 12:08 AM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:55 PM
So let me get this straight - if pro-choice advocates agree that it's okay for a woman to terminate a pregnancy that resulted from a mixed race sexual encounter, we're racist, just like Richard Nixon?

Any woman should have that option, and the reasons are none of our business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post

I guess this will be a tricky topic for some FYM'rs.
Only for you, it seems.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:15 AM   #17
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Hmm. I suppose so, but the way the quote reads it doesn't hint at a lot of nuance behind the comment, you know?
I understand what you're saying, but actually I was more deriving that from speculating about the broader social context informing the discussion, not assumptions about his unspoken thought process. It's 1973, 6 years since Loving v. Virginia legalized interracial marriage; just 10 months since the Pill was legalized for unmarried women; tensions between the youth counterculture and the socially conservative Old Guard (Nixon's base) are still running fairly high; and you have what for the times are these two moderately sexist, moderately racist older white men (both with daughters) trading reactions to Roe v. Wade. (Nixon: "Abortions encourage permissiveness. A girl gets knocked up...she goes down to the doctor, wants to get an abortion for $5 or whatever." Colson laments that yes, abortions encourage "permissiveness" and "promiscuousness"; Nixon assents, "It breaks the family.") This is a paternalistic criticism of abortion, based on notions of women's character and proper role within the family, rather than 'do fetuses have rights.' Then you have this dutiful recognition that, naturally, the sensible man realizes there are times when it's "necessary"...like when it's "a black and a white," for example. I don't think it's that much of a stretch to imagine that one possible mutually understood (racist, sexist) subtext here might've been: You know how it is, the circles kids fall in with these days; your girl could really get herself in a lot of trouble, and having certain...backups around means you can rescue her from a world of shame for everyone.

I'm not saying I'm convinced of that by any means. But honestly it does seem to me as plausible as the only other interpretation I can think of, which is that he literally and categorically meant 'Now of course, any woman pregnant with a mixed-race baby should be getting an abortion.' Maybe. On the one hand Nixon was, so far as I know, consistent and sincere in considering legal segregation one of the greatest historical sins of America, and if he'd had issues with (for example) Loving v. Virginia--which was obviously pathbreaking for interracial families--I've never heard of it; on the other hand, he certainly held some highly condescending and distrustful attitudes towards black people, so it's hard to know. I guess it comes down to, was he simply so racist as to find all thought of interracial children wholly disgusting? Or was this the 'middle path' Richard Nixon--who actually quite skillfully (in a political, not moral, sense) played the race policy agendas of the liberal Northern Dems and the George C. Wallace types off against each other while not being of either--displaying his 'pragmatic' understanding of, and comfort with, his own voter base's racist/sexist sensibilities without actually expecting that everyone should think this way?

Aaaaanyway, on a brief off-topic note, from the OP-linked article:
Quote:
Mr Nixon agreed with [Rev. Billy Graham] that Jewish-American leaders who opposed efforts to spread Christianity were in danger of triggering an anti-Semitic backlash: "What I really think is deep down in this country, there is a lot of anti-Semitism, and all this is going to do is stir it up. It may be they have a death wish. You know that's been the problem with our Jewish friends for centuries."
While I'm glad to live in a time when it would be truly jolting to think your President freely says such things in private (though Nixon was President when I was born), reading this in 2009, it just sounds so fantastically warped that I couldn't help but giggle.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:39 AM   #18
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:55 PM
Quote:
However, logically it seems to me that no abortion on demand advocate can condemn Nixon's views on this without being accused of a double standard.
Double standard with regards to what, exactly? For someone to hold racist beliefs or attitudes, however 'condemnable,' is perfectly legal, so long as they're not limiting the constitutionally due rights and freedoms of others on those grounds. And if you're pro-choice, you presumably wouldn't see having an abortion as doing that to begin with.

Sex selection might be a better example in that it can have untenable demographic consequences in the longterm, as several Asian countries have discovered--hence laws banning the use of ultrasounds to determine sex, as well as a slew of development policies intended to improve women's socioeconomic standing and therefore perceived value to parents. These measures aren't about the legality of being 'sexist towards fetuses' as such, though; they're about the state's interest in avoiding the potential social upheavals caused by an excess of men who can't find partners.

Or am I not understanding your question?

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:18 AM   #19
Refugee

Yes, choosing the sex is a great example. In the future, there will be hundreds of options to choose from for your baby, and unfortunately, all of them could be grounds for someone to terminate their pregnancy, whether justified, or yes, even racist reasons.

Same with marriage. It's going to get tricky when people cohabitate for other reasons than traditional love, or sex, or raising of children. You might choose to partner with someone for completely other reasons, and it seems that will have to leave that up to the indivuals as well -- and trust that when they check the box "domestic partner" on the official government form, that their reasons for partnership are legit.

Or do we draw the line somewhere, legislatively? (is that a word?)
Old 06-25-2009, 09:52 AM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 04:55 PM
ah Nixon, what a class act
Old 06-25-2009, 09:54 AM   #21
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadelynIris View Post
Same with marriage. It's going to get tricky when people cohabitate for other reasons than traditional love, or sex, or raising of children. You might choose to partner with someone for completely other reasons, and it seems that will have to leave that up to the indivuals as well -- and trust that when they check the box "domestic partner" on the official government form, that their reasons for partnership are legit.
I'm not sure the correlation between these two issues. But do you honestly think people cohabitating for other reasons than "traditional" love, sex, or children is new? I'm a little baffled here...

What makes a "legit" partnership?
Old 06-25-2009, 10:51 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
It's tricky for you, because it exposes that extremes of liberalism trend towards fascism.
Um, no. This exposes that Richard Nixon was an epic moral failure, and that's all.

Why the hell does a comment Nixon said in private about abortion almost 40 years ago represent ALL of liberalism, and from that you stretch it into fascism?

Are you fuckin' kidding me?
Old 06-25-2009, 10:58 AM   #23
Refugee

i dont care as much about his views on abortion as much as his removal of the gold standard, in which our dollar was actually backed up by....... oh wait, isnt american idol on tonight?
Old 06-25-2009, 11:10 AM   #24
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
I understand what you're saying, but actually I was more deriving that from speculating about the broader social context informing the discussion, not assumptions about his unspoken thought process.
Thanks for the clarification, that was interesting.

Being just a fetus and then a newborn at various points in 1973, I didn't have any personal frame of reference for the era.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:12 AM   #25
Refugee

Quote:
What makes a "legit" partnership?
Exactly. I'm not sure if I know.

No, there is no direct correlation between the two. Other than they are considered moral issues, and are debated by society today. Our laws try to put them in black and white, (draw a line somewhere), and the debate is over where the line is drawn.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:19 AM   #26
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Gotcha...
Old 06-25-2009, 12:33 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Seems to me the hypocrisy lies with Nixon and those who think like him...that abortion is wrong, unless the baby's mixed; then, well, it's necessary.

I'd like to think Richard Nixon was our last racist President, but I'm just not quite that naive.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:18 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post

Any woman should have that option, and the reasons are none of our business.
This

and this thread is grasping a straws
Old 06-25-2009, 02:22 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Wow. Tricky Dick was an even bigger douche than we knew. Color me shocked. /sarcasm.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:03 PM   #30
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
I'd like to think Richard Nixon was our last racist President, but I'm just not quite that naive.
Well Kanye told us how Bush felt about black people.