Nasty Things Headed My (Our) Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigjohn2441

Refugee
dont know if this is the right forum for this, since it's not political enough, but i guess it could turn into a global warming / enviornmentalist discussion :lol:

www.stormpulse.com

Looks like i'm set to be directly fucked by Ana and her big brother. This season starting out rough already. Not looking forward to my first direct hit by a hurricane. :no:

Be safe John.

On a side note:

As of yesterday it was declared where I live we're experiencing the worse recorded drought even known to Texas...

yeah my parents (Pittsburgh) said it's been the "shittiest", meaning cold and rainy, summer they've had in a while.

GLOBAL MELTDOWN!!!!! :gah:

Well, Seattle had its longest and hottest heatwave in recorded history last month, so ... :shrug:

Not saying that's from ZOMG GLOBAL WARMING, just offering an alternative to "well, it's cold here this summer."

Be safe from the storms, John. Hope they end up passing you by or becoming weaker. :)

One of the main reasons that the weather is a little strange this summer is the return of El Nino. This winter, it is expected to continue.

Ana, at this time, is not looking too healthy. That is good for all places in front of it's path!
:D

dont know if this is the right forum for this, since it's not political enough, but i guess it could turn into a global warming / enviornmentalist discussion :lol:

www.stormpulse.com

Looks like i'm set to be directly fucked by Ana and her big brother. This season starting out rough already. Not looking forward to my first direct hit by a hurricane. :no:

Some are worse than others. . .I've been through a few and all we suffered was power outtages for a little bit,but I barely missed some truly evil hurricanes.

Hope you and yours are safe!

www.stormpulse.com

You're from Miami too? Everyone is buzzing about this, but I refuse to look at any maps or watch local weather until at least Tuesday. We've been burned so many times before with all this hysteria when it will just turn north or south and miss us completely.

At my reluctance, I looked at the map (very cool, btw, I'm so used to crappy NOAA static maps) and saw that it is supposed to go over the Dominican Republic. My Walt Disney Meteorology Degree tells me that a ride over those mountains will actually weaken it. :nerd:

I was 7 when Andrew hit and have experienced many many hurricanes since then as well. It's not nearly as bad as it used to be. Miami had a big lesson with Andrew and the steps taken to secure newer homes and reinforce older ones against hurricane power have been a big help. People are also generally more prepared now. I remember in the '90s the recommendation was to tape your windows with duct tape to prevent them from shattering. Most people have either shutters or some wood to nail up against windows by now. There are also tons of shelters you can go to (I've never been to one, however. I ride the storms out! :rockon:) now which didn't really exist then.

Tips, for your first time. :wink:

- Avoid the news from now until Tuesday, otherwise the natural fluctuations of the direction of the storm are going to drive you insane. One time the media/government (the media hyped the storm so much that the local government put in a curfew. All businesses closed. :grumpy:) kept us indoors for a whole weekend while a storm did loop-de-loops some miles offshore. I'm not joking. I watched about 15 movies that weekend.
- Don't bother driving north to escape it, even if the tolls are lifted. The temptation to come back right after a storm is too great. Also, the thing could turn north unexpectedly and you'll be out of familiar territory.
- If you're in an evacuation zone, evacuate. Don't risk it.
- Find a friend who has a generator. Promise dessert.
- Stock up. Only don't stock up before Ana (I can bet this one will not hit us) but after. Enough to last you a week should do it, including water.
- Do not go out for any free handouts. You will get there and be forced to be trapped in a long line for hours just to get a bag of melting ice. You can live without ice.
- Appreciate your air conditioning RIGHT NOW. After you lose power you will want to kill yourself. (Or spend like $100 on gas just to sit in your car for a few hours and blast the A/C)
- Enjoy the storm, if you enjoy storms and such. I personally love waking up in the middle of the night hearing thunderstorms.
- Spend the days after the storm, when you're confined to your neighborhood, meeting neighbors and enjoying "block parties." It works out because you can keep an eye on each other's property and share different foodstuffs. There's only so much canned ravioli one can eat.
- Get creative. My mom makes pasta on the backyard grill.
- Remember to look up. After power is knocked out the skies will be clear of light pollution and clouds (actually, all bad weather is sucked up by the storm, so the next few days after a storm are usually gorgeous) alike. You'll be able to see all the stars you want!

All in all, the only things that are really scary about hurricanes are the tornadoes that tend to spawn during them. No amount of shutters or preparation can protect you from that. But no matter where you live there's always some impending disaster threatening you, so you just have to deal with it. If it happens, it happens. :(

^ yup, im right in the path of them.

thanks for all the tips and good wishes everyone :wave:

apparently Ana is breaking up, but Bill is supposed to be a cat 2 by the time it hits us. dispite what i said in the 1st post, im not really that worried about it, more excited to experience a hurricane :lol:

my apartment is pretty much a concrete bunker and i got a generator with plenty of water and food, so i should be good. as long as my car doesnt get punk'd by a fallen tree or something, i dont really care what happens. might even get a day or 2 off work. :hyper:

Stay safe, John. The whole Atlantic coast will by in my prayers, especially if it really does blow up this season.

As of yesterday it was declared where I live we're experiencing the worse recorded drought even known to Texas...

Oh yes, I know all about that. I live next to a man-made lake on the Colorado River, Lake Travis... it is 40-some feet below average at the moment.

Well, John, I guess if you're ever going to be somewhere for your 'first time' hurricane, it might as well be where the locals are rather accustomed and resilient. Be safe and enjoy your neighbours.

It's the irregular patterns in other places that have the potential to cause unexpected crisis that are worrisome precisely because people are unprepared.

Hey John, which island do you work on?

I used to live in St. Croix.

Live and work on St Thomas, and occasionally work on St John.

Ana just passed this morning. Just mild rain and some light wind and thunder, no big deal. I've experienced much worse storms in PA. :lol:

Bill however, could be a problem if it decides to turn a little south :yikes:

Live and work on St Thomas, and occasionally work on St John.

Ana just passed this morning. Just mild rain and some light wind and thunder, no big deal. I've experienced much worse storms in PA. :lol:

Bill however, could be a problem if it decides to turn a little south :yikes:

Forecast models are calling for a northeast jet stream to fly in like superman and steer Bill due north and possibly east. If not, Newfoundland is going to get some wicked weather.

Peak hurricane season is always during the second week of September. We have so much more to go.

Yes that Bill is supposed to be bad, I hope it will change.

It's been a cool and wet summer where I live-great for me because I hate heat and humidity. The last several days have been so hot and humid and I already can't stand it. It wasn't great in June and July for outdoor activities and now it's way too uncomfortable to be outside.

Looks like st Thomas is going to take a direct hit from tropical storm Erika tomorrow. Should be interesting.

yeah my parents (Pittsburgh) said it's been the "shittiest", meaning cold and rainy, summer they've had in a while.

GLOBAL MELTDOWN!!!!! :gah:

Ditto that west Michigan, although it barely rained at all until mid-August (and then rained for a week and a half, total cloud cover). I wore pants and socks to bed earlier this week, with a down blanket. Lame!

You're from Miami too? Everyone is buzzing about this, but I refuse to look at any maps or watch local weather until at least Tuesday. We've been burned so many times before with all this hysteria when it will just turn north or south and miss us completely.

At my reluctance, I looked at the map (very cool, btw, I'm so used to crappy NOAA static maps) and saw that it is supposed to go over the Dominican Republic. My Walt Disney Meteorology Degree tells me that a ride over those mountains will actually weaken it. :nerd:

I was 7 when Andrew hit and have experienced many many hurricanes since then as well. It's not nearly as bad as it used to be. Miami had a big lesson with Andrew and the steps taken to secure newer homes and reinforce older ones against hurricane power have been a big help. People are also generally more prepared now. I remember in the '90s the recommendation was to tape your windows with duct tape to prevent them from shattering. Most people have either shutters or some wood to nail up against windows by now. There are also tons of shelters you can go to (I've never been to one, however. I ride the storms out! :rockon:) now which didn't really exist then.

Tips, for your first time. :wink:

- Avoid the news from now until Tuesday, otherwise the natural fluctuations of the direction of the storm are going to drive you insane. One time the media/government (the media hyped the storm so much that the local government put in a curfew. All businesses closed. :grumpy:) kept us indoors for a whole weekend while a storm did loop-de-loops some miles offshore. I'm not joking. I watched about 15 movies that weekend.
- Don't bother driving north to escape it, even if the tolls are lifted. The temptation to come back right after a storm is too great. Also, the thing could turn north unexpectedly and you'll be out of familiar territory.
- If you're in an evacuation zone, evacuate. Don't risk it.
- Find a friend who has a generator. Promise dessert.
- Stock up. Only don't stock up before Ana (I can bet this one will not hit us) but after. Enough to last you a week should do it, including water.
- Do not go out for any free handouts. You will get there and be forced to be trapped in a long line for hours just to get a bag of melting ice. You can live without ice.
- Appreciate your air conditioning RIGHT NOW. After you lose power you will want to kill yourself. (Or spend like $100 on gas just to sit in your car for a few hours and blast the A/C)
- Enjoy the storm, if you enjoy storms and such. I personally love waking up in the middle of the night hearing thunderstorms.
- Spend the days after the storm, when you're confined to your neighborhood, meeting neighbors and enjoying "block parties." It works out because you can keep an eye on each other's property and share different foodstuffs. There's only so much canned ravioli one can eat.
- Get creative. My mom makes pasta on the backyard grill.
- Remember to look up. After power is knocked out the skies will be clear of light pollution and clouds (actually, all bad weather is sucked up by the storm, so the next few days after a storm are usually gorgeous) alike. You'll be able to see all the stars you want!

All in all, the only things that are really scary about hurricanes are the tornadoes that tend to spawn during them. No amount of shutters or preparation can protect you from that. But no matter where you live there's always some impending disaster threatening you, so you just have to deal with it. If it happens, it happens. :(

WAIT- YOU GUYS ARE FROM MIAMI!?!??!?

... ME TOO! :wave: (INTERFERENCE PARTY?) :applaud:

For all but roughly 3 yrs of my entire 38 years, I've lived in/near Wilmington, NC.... pretty much ground zero of the Cape Fear Region, a pretty regular target of hurricanes. I've learned that it's wise to follow activity in the Atlantic, particularly during September, but I don't start buying batteries & checking my stock of BeanieWeenies until a storm hits Cat 3 & jumps on the Gulfstream - then it's time for this area to sit up & pay attention.

If I got excited every time the Weather Channel sent Jim Cantorre on location, I'd pass out from exhaustion by about mid-July. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom