Mt. St. Helens - 30 Years Ago Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corianderstem

Blue Crack Distributor
Local News | The next big eruption: Will we have warning? | Seattle Times Newspaper

Iceland is in the news with its own volcanic activity, but 'round these parts, it's time to reminisce once again about Mt. St. Helens.

I moved out here 10 years ago, and was fascinated by the 20-year anniversary coverage. A few years after that, I took a trip down there, which was really cool. It's fascinating to see the new plant life spring up, and animals return to the area as well.

I know there's not much to actually discuss about this topic, but I think it's interesting, so maybe we can all just have a "The More You Know" moment. :wink:

Here in Seattle, volcanoes are never far from our minds, with several active volcanoes in the area, and where evacuation drills are a common occurence in the towns surrounding Mt. Rainier.

They had a segment on the Today Show this morning, with old photos and interviews with survivors. They showed what it looks like now and it sure is beautiful.

Read a good MSN.com article on this subject this morning with some interesting 'before & after' pics. I didn't realize it'd been 30 years! My dad's 2nd oldest brother lived in Tacoma at the time & in August of that year my dad went out to Washington for a fishing vacation with him. I remember he came back with some amazing stories about the eruption & some volcanic ash souvenirs that, as a 9yr old, were the coolest things in the world to me. :) I've still got those little tchotkes somewhere.....

When I first moved out here, I had a bottle of volcanic ash that had been collected from eastern WA (where most of the ash fell). It was kinda cool.

Visiting the volcano is really great - they have great exhibits and presentations, and you can hike on some trails around the area. Some of the exhibits are very moving, with tales of the man who'd lived in the area for years and refused to leave the mountain, and the researcher who broadcast the moment of the eruption ... and then of course was killed.

Those are spectacular photos, Cori - thanks for posting the link! A few of them were in the MSN article that I mentioned earlier, but most were ones I'd never seen. That last one with the time exposure is beautiful. :love:

Back
Top Bottom