Mother of octuplets already had six kids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is my huge problem with the whole thing. This statement and her own words in an interview I watched last night where she said she had the need to connect and that's why she had children.

That's my problem too-well that and the fact that she also said it was due to her dysfunctional childhood. Of course it's her choice and her business, but for me personally one's choice is not the same once other people are involved-especially innocent, defenseless people. That's a game changer. Maybe she should have exercised her freedom of choice to make a mature, adult decision to work through all of that in another way rather than having all of those kids.

When you watch the interview and what she says, it seems that she doesn't have the most mature and realistic attitude about what she is facing.

Her mother also said that Nadya has contributed nothing financially to the upbringing of her other six kids.

The babies are beautiful, I hope for the best for them and for her other kids.

Octuplet's mom on food stamps, publicist says
Three of Nadya Suleman's older kids also get federal support for disabilities
msnbc.com
updated 8:59 a.m. ET, Tues., Feb. 10, 2009

Nadya Suleman, the mother of the octuplets born last month, gets $490 a month in food stamps, the Los Angeles Times reported Monday evening. Three of her first children also get federal supplemental security income because they are disabled, the Times reported.

Suleman's publicist, Michael Furtney, confirmed the information.

During an interview with Ann Curry on the TODAY show, Suleman denied being on welfare.

Suleman told NBC News correspondent Ann Curry in an interview that she was not receiving welfare. Furtney said Suleman didn't consider the food stamps and SSI to be welfare.

"In Nadya's view, the money that she gets from the food stamp program ... and the resources disabilities payments she gets for her three children are not welfare," he said. "They are part of programs designed to help people with need, and she does not see that as welfare."

Furtney declined to say what kinds of disabilities the three children have, the Times reported.

During the interview with Curry, Suleman said, "I'm not receiving help from the government. I'm not trying to expect anything from anybody. just wanted to do it on my own. Any resources that someone would really, really want to help us, I will accept, I would embrace.”

Curry told Suleman that many people think she had the octuplets in the hope of making money off her story.

“That's funny how untrue that is,” Suleman said. “Money? Money is necessary to raise children. But it's — it's paper. It is paper. To me, it is superfluous in contrast to the importance of my kids.”

NBC chief medical editor Dr. Nancy Snyderman has estimated the cost of delivering the infants and caring for them until they are healthy enough to leave the hospital at $1.5 million to $3 million.

“Money? Money is necessary to raise children. But it's — it's paper. It is paper. To me, it is superfluous in contrast to the importance of my kids.”

Yeah well it's not her paper so why would she care?

I find it extremely disturbing that a woman with THREE disabled children would opt to have 8 more. Who is providing the necessary attention and care that the existing children need? And you know that in all likelihood a number of the octuplets will be disabled. In fact, they very well all could be due to their low birthweight and premature births. Very irresponsible and negligent of her.

Octuplet's mom on food stamps, publicist says
Three of Nadya Suleman's older kids also get federal support for disabilities
msnbc.com
updated 8:59 a.m. ET, Tues., Feb. 10, 2009

During the interview with Curry, Suleman said, "I'm not receiving help from the government. I'm not trying to expect anything from anybody. just wanted to do it on my own.

Hmm. Just who does she think gives out food stamps? Does she think there's a food stamp fairy or something?

Didn't she also say in the interview with Ann Curry in response to the costs of in-vitro...that she had saved up & must have spent about $100K? Asked where the money came from, I believe it was from a settlement or disability payment she received in the past.

I think she's nuts. How the hell is she going to be able to take care of 14 children? How? It sounds like she wasn't taking care of the 6 she had! And she said she had plans to go back to school, in the fall if I recall correctly. And who will be watching her fatherless 14 children? :|

:rant: Everyone needs to stop following this story. I've never been more disgusted with the news in all my life. Do you know that NBC reportedly paid her $300,000 for her interview? Would we pay a heroin addict $300,000 for an interview and then let them run free again??
There's no difference here.

I'm sick of hearing about her, and it's every freaking morning on the news when I'm trying to hear about a tornado in Oklahoma, or brush fires in Oz, or the damn stimulus bill. Stop giving her the attention and she will disappear. Has anyone heard what Joe the Plumber has been doing as of late? Exactly. [/:rant:]

:rant: Everyone needs to stop following this story. I've never been more disgusted with the news in all my life. Do you know that NBC reportedly paid her $300,000 for her interview? Would we pay a heroin addict $300,000 for an interview and then let them run free again??

I'm sick of hearing about her, and it's every freaking morning on the news when I'm trying to hear about a tornado in Oklahoma, or brush fires in Oz, or the damn stimulus bill. Stop giving her the attention and she will disappear. Has anyone heard what Joe the Plumber has been doing as of late? Exactly. [/:rant:]

:love::love::love:

I'm sick of this stupid bitch and all of the attention the media has given her.

Time for this whack job to go away.

Guilty as charged :reject:

I just find it so stupid and irresponsible for a woman with SIX children already and no job to get implanted with 6 more embryos.

stupid and irresponsible

Yet she's gotten exactly what she wanted. I'm sure she considers herself smart and successful.

Delusional, greedy, unrestrained, undisciplined, irresponsible, entitled, exploitive, manipulative, dangerous, self-serving...sounds familiar doesn't it?

Although she's done it in the name of love and motherhood.

Fascinating.

Why aren't we as decidedly and pointedly critical of the same behaviour in the name of freedom and democracy? Or in the name of God? Or peace and self-defense? Or shareholder value?

I didn't watch the interview last night, but I did see a collection of Ann Curry's WTF faces online. I did find that amusing.

I'm concerned that everyone's contempt for the mother will only end up hurting the kids. With everyone too hateful to help them because she's so stupid and undeserving, the children will be the ones to suffer. It's just a horrible situation.

I don't think her eating habits are important in this situation. The children could have different meals or they make supplements that they could take.

you'd think that this wouldn't be a concern, right? a woman with 14 kids should, in theory, be getting plenty of protein.

but i'm not sure IVF works that way.

I'm concerned that everyone's contempt for the mother will only end up hurting the kids. With everyone too hateful to help them because she's so stupid and undeserving, the children will be the ones to suffer. It's just a horrible situation.

True, but there are a lot of families (not so much any more, but my parents, grandparents...) that had 8+ kids and survived without endoresements and free supplies of diapers for life and publicists to help them... She wanted 14 kids, now she's got 'em :|

Why aren't we as decidedly and pointedly critical of the same behaviour in the name of freedom and democracy? Or in the name of God? Or peace and self-defense? Or shareholder value?

Since when are we not??

I think many of us, especially here, have been far more critical of all the things you mention than of her.

Didn't mean for you to take offense, sorry - I was referring to the collective 'we' of western culture/society since this is a story that has dominated the media and everyone's attention since the babies were born.

I blame people's strange fascination with multiple births for this. It's not normal for women to have 8 babies or 6 babies or whatever it is at a time. This is just the modern day version of the Dionne quints being exploited.

I wish TLC would get rid of all the stupid shows with zillions of kids as if their freakshow parents (hello Kate??!!) should be celebrated.

I wish TLC would get rid of all the stupid shows with zillions of kids as if their freakshow parents (hello Kate??!!) should be celebrated.

yet, the show is doing really, really well for TLC. so they want more.

i know this because i know people. and i sit in on brainstorming sessions.

Didn't mean for you to take offense, sorry - I was referring to the collective 'we' of western culture/society since this is a story that has dominated the media and everyone's attention since the babies were born.
In addition to the 'freak show' aspect anitram mentioned, I think there's also a kind of everyone's-an-expert syndrome at work with parenting issues in a way there isn't with the other things you mentioned. Most people can't really relate from their own direct experience to what it might feel like to have Madoff blow your considerable painstakingly accumulated fortune, or to have the Sri Lankan army blithely annihilate your town then drop cluster munitions on your refugee camp so their Commander-in-Chief gets to brag about being the one to crush the Tigers once and for all, but all of us had parent(s), all of us carry around our own personal bundle of grievances towards them for their assorted failures to keep our welfare front and center 24/7. So both the judgments and the sense of moral urgency about them flow more readily there. And this goes both ways; it's likewise easier to blow motherhood up into something impossibly iconic and lionizing, whereas no one wants to watch a reality show about 'A Day in the Life of a Wall Street Executive.'

whereas no one wants to watch a reality show about 'A Day in the Life of a Wall Street Executive.'

they do want to watch shows about their wives, however.

rhwnyc.jpg

;)

Has this been posted in here yet?

California's octuplets mum, already jobless and receiving food stamps, has gone into hiding with her six older children because of death threats, her spokesman said on Wednesday.

Nadya Suleman, 33, has come under mounting public ridicule for expanding her already large family via fertility treatments that led to the January 26 birth of six boys and two girls at a Los Angeles-area hospital.

That criticism has mushroomed as it was reported that she was divorced, living with her parents, unemployed for several years, receiving disability checks for three of her children -- one of whom is autistic -- and collecting nearly $500 (347.75 pounds) a month in food stamps.

She acknowledged those circumstances in a series of NBC television interviews but insisted in a segment aired on Tuesday on "Dateline NBC" that she was "not living off any taxpayer money" and that assistance she now receives is temporary.

The broadcast drew the highest "Dateline" ratings since a 2007 interview with Prince William and Prince Harry.

Suleman, who was working towards an advanced degree in counselling, said she owes close to $50,000 in student loans, which also are her sole source of non-government income.

According to the Los Angeles Times, the Kaiser Permanente hospital where the newborns remain is seeking reimbursement for the cost of their care from Medi-Cal, the sate's health care program for the poor. Those costs are expected to reach into the hundreds of thousands of dollars, the newspaper said.

'UNDISCLOSED LOCATION'

For the past few days, Suleman and her six older children, ages 2 to 7, have moved into "what we are referring to as an undisclosed location," said Michael Furtney, a public relations consultant working for the family. The Web site RadarOnline.com reported the family was staying at a hotel.

Furtney said Suleman and the PR firm have been deluged with hostile telephone and email messages in recent days, some of them containing threats of violence and death.

"The bulk of them just rail against her being, as they would refer to her, as a person who's taking advantage of the system, and they just go from there," Furtney said.

He also acknowledged that the hostile messages have so far outnumbered the well-wishes, but added, "the positive notes are beginning to catch up with the not so positive ones."

Some have been directed to a new Suleman family Web site that solicits private donations to help support them.

The site is adorned with photos of the mother and her eight newborns, along with images of a baby bottle, a pacifier, a rainbow and alphabet blocks spelling out the word "love."

Below the greeting, "We thank you from the bottom of our hearts -- Nadya Suleman and children," are heart-shaped links that invite visitors to comment and to make a contribution.

Furtney said people have primarily been offering furniture, clothing, food and other essentials, and someone even promised to donate breast milk. He said one Indiana farmer has offered to have the whole family live with him and his family.

He said "volunteers" were paying for her temporary living arrangements.

Suleman might temporarily move back into her mother's three-bedroom house in a Los Angeles suburb, but that house will likely prove too small for all 14 children, Furtney said.

Suleman's mother, Angela, has called her daughter's decision to keep expanding her family "unconscionable" and she said she had pleaded with her daughter's fertility doctor not to implant her with more embryos.

Threats send California octuplets mum into hiding� - Yahoo! News UK

One question - what does 'receiveing food stamps' mean? Please, do not tell me that is some sort of American welfare system where you receive food stamps instead of monetary payments...?

One question - what does 'receiveing food stamps' mean? Please, do not tell me that is some sort of American welfare system where you receive food stamps instead of monetary payments...?

In addition to cash welfare payments, you can also receive a debit type card to purchase food. It used to be in form of payment coupons of different denominations in a ticket book, but was changed to the debit card to give the users a bit of dignity. Liquor and cigarettes are excluded but you can buy just about any other food item in most grocery stores with food stamps.

I thought she said on the show that she got $900 in food stamps/month, not $500.

Back
Top Bottom