More Fun with PETA and the KKK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those peta people and their kkkrazy antics!

Of course it might transpire that everyone at the rally was actually an undercover agent in disguise.

Yes they are-that one in particular. I really don't see the need to protest Westminster.

I love that a 10 year old dog won the WDS- he came close to death years back, from a bacterial infection.

Well of course I have a problem with that, but I don't honestly think that getting rid of Westminster/dog shows would solve that problem.

My beloved dog that I lost last Sept was from a rescue, and every dog I had as a pet was a "mutt".

you guys honestly have no problem with the idea of pure bred dogs being bought for thousands of dollars while countless others are euthanized in pounds because nobody wants them?

Where, I live. We have animal shelters. And the animals are put up for adoption. I don't think they are euthanized, unless they are so sick. They cannot be made well. Just about, everyone I know, who has a cat or a dog, has adopted their furry best friend, from one of these shelters. Myself included.

Please spay or neuter your pets!

Yes I think it would be far more productive for PETA to focus on spaying and neutering rather than dressing up in Klan garb in NYC-but spaying and neutering is hardly as attention grabbing as that is.

I don't think it's about getting rid of the Westminster Dog Shows, PETA are annoying but they are far from stupid - and far more shrewd than a lot of people will give them credit.

This is all about getting information to as many as possible, as long as it gets people talking about the subject, it's a success as far as I'm concerned.

My problem is that yes, in a lot of cases their tactics tend to go right over the heads of their intended targets. If anything, I think they are overestimating the intelligence level of the public.

but hey, bad press is still press...

Bob Barker talking about spaying and neutering every day on the Price Is Right may have been far more effective. I don't think PETA is stupid and of course it's good that they get people talking..I just think that perhaps PETA has become too much about PETA and not enough about what they are trying to accomplish. And at a certain point making it too much about you might be counterproductive.

and your point is?

As much as I love animals, until we value human life and dignity on a grand scale we won't be capable of doing it for our furry friends.

But they do need champions and every progressive step counts.

I think that koala pic from Victoria does exponentially more for the cause of respecting and nurturing animals, wildlife and nature than any shock value PETA gets out of this and other stunts.

I think we all have to do what we have to do...

The "what about the starving people in _______?" argument whenever any kind of animal issue is brought up is a little tiresome if you ask me...

Being able to care about something beyond your own species is a defining human value if you ask me...

The "what about the starving people in _______?" argument whenever any kind of animal issue is brought up is a little tiresome if you ask me...

Especially if it's used as an excuse to mistreat animals.

You mentioned PETA overestimating people's ability to get the point. You're so right.

Being able to care about something beyond your own species is a defining human value if you ask me...

:up:

you guys honestly have no problem with the idea of pure bred dogs being bought for thousands of dollars while countless others are euthanized in pounds because nobody wants them?

I honestly don't.

My family has owned the same breed for decades, we love it and wouldn't have it any other way. Different breeds of dogs are quite different not just physically in terms of size, length of fur, etc, but temperament and disposition. I don't blame somebody because they specifically want one breed that they have gotten very attached to. I can't imagine a life without a Collie, probably because I can't remember one. So, no, I would make no apologies whatsoever for choosing to buy one for a high price.

That doesn't negate my love of animals, or the fact that we have also donated to local shelters and that my parents have also owned mixed breeds.

You guys have all missed the biggest issue here. PETA are hypocrites. You should see what they really think of dogs. They believe pet ownership is the same as slavery, and they would rather see all dogs dead than living with you. They want to spay/neuter them into extinction, and put down as many as they can. Look at their records, they kill 98% of animals they take in, though they are dishonest about their intentions, and the fate of the animals to those who have asked. They have no shelters, no holding facilities. They take animals under false pretense of taking them to 'foster homes', posing as rescues, gaining peoples' trust using their 'good' name, but their intent is to 'put down' as many as possible to keep them away from people. They've even taken young, healthy dogs out of no kill shelters promising to get them homes and killing them in their van immediately. The leader, Ingrid Newkirk, called the killer "Mother Theresa of animals." You should really check out the links on this page. It's sad but tragically true. (Though PETA will say it's all a conspiracy by the meat industry) There are some graphic pictures of the dead dogs they threw in dumpsters after they killed them.

Ingrid Newkirk - PETA's Shame

for more on their idealogy:

MySpace.com - The Truth About PeTA - 93 - Female - Middle of nowhere, Michigan - www.myspace.com/thetruthaboutpeta

They are so obsessed with their 'go veg' agenda that they don't give a damn about carnivorous hunters like dogs. Newkirk herself has said they had plenty of money to fund no kill shelters, but they don't believe in them. They are very bizzare. It's horrible how they waste their millions on idiotic campaigns like this clan thing.

PETA dresses in KKK garb outside Westminster Dog Show - USATODAY.com

But the AKC is trying to create a "master race" when it comes to pure-bred dogs, he added. "It's a very apt comparison."
:slant: Apparently he thinks the KKK is a professional eugenicists' society or something?

Humans have been developing and refining dog breeds by selecting for role-specific mental and physical aptitudes for thousands of years, long before the AKC came into existence.

True, the selective breeding does perpetuate vulnerabilities that wouldn't last in the wild, but considering that dogs are by definition domesticated animals, that's a problem of degree really. Anyhow, how would we address it without undercutting the successes spaying and neutering campaigns have already achieved? Selective breeding for health and longevity only (and wouldn't that also amount to an, er, 'master race' program)?

You guys have all missed the biggest issue here. PETA are hypocrites. You should see what they really think of dogs. They believe pet ownership is the same as slavery, and they would rather see all dogs dead than living with you. They want to spay/neuter them into extinction, and put down as many as they can. Look at their records, they kill 98% of animals they take in, though they are dishonest about their intentions, and the fate of the animals to those who have asked. They have no shelters, no holding facilities. They take animals under false pretense of taking them to 'foster homes', posing as rescues, gaining peoples' trust using their 'good' name, but their intent is to 'put down' as many as possible to keep them away from people. They've even taken young, healthy dogs out of no kill shelters promising to get them homes and killing them in their van immediately. The leader, Ingrid Newkirk, called the killer "Mother Theresa of animals." You should really check out the links on this page. It's sad but tragically true. (Though PETA will say it's all a conspiracy by the meat industry) There are some graphic pictures of the dead dogs they threw in dumpsters after they killed them.

MySpace.com - The Truth About PeTA - 93 - Female - Middle of nowhere, Michigan - www.myspace.com/thetruthaboutpeta

They are so obsessed with their 'go veg' agenda that they don't give a damn about carnivorous hunters like dogs. Newkirk herself has said they had plenty of money to fund no kill shelters, but they don't believe in them. They are very bizzare. It's horrible how they waste their millions on idiotic campaigns like this clan thing.

Thank you for the post!

A friend of mine works at an animal shelter for cats. And he said, "not one cat is put down, unless it is beyond saving." A cat named Chloe, the shelter has had for years. She is ten years old and will be cared for by the staff, for the rest of her natural life. Chloe is their favorite!

If you are looking for a cat to love and can give a forever home. Check out your local Pet Smart stores. Where, you can adopt your new best friend. All cats have been spayed or neutered and are healthy!

True, which is why animals, while deserving to be treated humanely, can't possibly have rights themselves.

this statement makes little sense...

:rolleyes: every time there is a thread about PETA you post this, we get it, you don't like PETA, we should all be scared of PETA, PETA IS TEH DEVIL!!!111!!!

get something new.

As much as I think PETA are misguided at times I also don't trust "facts" that are posted on MySpace pages nor do I find websites such as 'No Kill Now' to be all that objective. Just reading their "facts" you can tell they have an ax to grind and an agenda.

Originally Posted by INDY500
True, which is why animals, while deserving to be treated humanely, can't possibly have rights themselves.

this statement makes little sense...
Not if you understand the concept of "rights" and not the watered-down word trod out today in any argument to stake higher moral ground than your opponent.
Humans are exceptional. Animals can't begin to comprehend rights and devoid of man they wouldn't and don't exist in the wild.

Humans are exceptional? Animals are more exceptional than some humans are. Humans are exceptional by virtue of their individual character-part of which is how they treat "lesser" beings, such as animals. I think it's more than a bit arrogant to think that humans are somehow inherently exceptional.

do children comprehend rights? What about the mentally retarded?
Yes, a lovely argument for eugenics, abortion and euthanasia.

The Judeo-Christian moral philosophy, however, declares that human rights are universal and unalienable. All are created equal in the eyes of the Lord, all have incalculable moral worth, regardless of cognitive or physical capacities, age, social status, health, pigmentation, or residence (including which side of the birth canal you happen to be on).

Back
Top Bottom