Mexican flu reminiscent of SARS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just came across this and had to share:

swineflu.jpg

This post is reason #609666532 why I love you. :love:

:sexywink:

I keep checking this thread hoping someone will magically make it into the AWESOMEST gif ever :drool:

And at this point, there's no reason to fear yet. Just show general caution and concern. Ther are effective antivirals, and thanks to avian flu scares we probably are more well prepared then we would be otherwise. Yes, I know the threat level or what have you has gone up, but it's still a day by day thing.

The White House is issuing a health advisory outlining "protective measures" for anyone who traveled on President Barack Obama’s trip to Mexico, after a member of the U.S. delegation came down with flu-like symptoms – and tests on his family showed they’re probably infected with the swine flu.

The individual – an advance security staffer for Energy Secretary Steven Chu –appears to have spread the flu to his wife, son and nephew. All three have tested probable for swine flu, White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said.

The staffer was at a working dinner Obama attended with Mexican officials April 16.

“The president has not experienced any symptoms,” Gibbs said

Could all this have been at attempt to assassinate Obama?

Even Sir Noel G is getting caught up in this

Noel's 'Tales From The Middle Of Nowhere' (28/04/09)

It's all got a bit mad over here. This swine flu malarky is freaking people out. Landed at Crack'arse airport yesterday. All the ground staff are wearing those little white face masks! ALL OF THEM. It was like something out of another Stephen King novel. I suddenly feel quite naked without one.

Then if that wasn't bad enough my mam called me at that very moment and tells me to be "careful" or I WILL die of pig flu. I swear at that point I did a massive sneeze and the entire airport fell silent and started to stare!! I WANT A MASK!!!

Crack'arse, it must be said, is not the most glamourous of destinations, despite what we were led to believe as kids from that film "Gregory's Girl".

I currently have an armed guard outside my room! What does that say? Am I vulnerable to a robbery from room service? Anyway, could be worse, at least the sun's out and I have a balcony and it's 86*. Mind you, what about snipers (as Bobby Gillespie once said to me as we were getting pissed in my back garden)??

In a bit.

GD.

:hmm:
From Wikipedia.... Tamiflu article

Around 40% of shares in the company were bought by Bono in March 2009. Some believe he is behind the recent outbreal of Pig Flu, trying to create more profits for himself through creating a disease which will lead to more orders of the comapany's products. The major shareholders of the comapany as of 30th April 2009 are Bono, Larry M. Junior and Bob Geldof

Oseltamivir - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CNN;
"Ecuador joined Cuba and Argentina in banning travel to or from Mexico. Egypt began slaughtering all pigs Thursday, although no cases of swine flu have been reported in that country.

China and Russia have banned pork imports from the United States and Mexico, though WHO says the disease is not transmitted through eating or preparing pork."

wow.
This is really getting scary now.

CNN;
"Ecuador joined Cuba and Argentina in banning travel to or from Mexico. Egypt began slaughtering all pigs Thursday, although no cases of swine flu have been reported in that country.

China and Russia have banned pork imports from the United States and Mexico, though WHO says the disease is not transmitted through eating or preparing pork."

wow.
This is really getting scary now.

That's not exactly the issue anymore...it's nothing to do with pigs anymore, since it's human to human anyway, and it's part avian as well...might as well ban birds while you're at it.

It's not that scary either 1000s of people die of the seasonal flu every year...this so far hasn't exactly proven as deadly yet.

That's not exactly the issue anymore...it's nothing to do with pigs anymore, since it's human to human anyway, and it's part avian as well...might as well ban birds while you're at it.

It's not that scary either 1000s of people die of the seasonal flu every year...this so far hasn't exactly proven as deadly yet.

actually, on CBD earlier they gave the stat that something like 130,000 worldwide die of flu every year.
Now, I'm tempted to think they got their stats mixed up, but the fact remains....there's no reason to be more then cautious at this point.

And as for the pig slaughter, I think they just wanted an excuse to get rid of the pigs....

I was in a CVS yesterday and someone was looking for hand sanitizer and they were all out of it (stores are running out of it). Hardware stores are out of gloves and masks (masks won't protect you, I don't think Purell will either). Two cases in one town over from where I live, two kids who had been to Mexico on school vacation.

I guess some people just need something to panic about. I'm not panicked at all-I had norovirus a couple of years ago and if you can survive that you can survive anything. That has to be worse than swine flu-much, much worse.

They should just put him in charge of Bo Obama and keep him out of the media.

He's always sticking his foot in his mouth-then again President Obama knew that and he picked him anyway (well he was second choice after Hillary accdg to Jill Biden).

Northeastern asks grads to hold the handshakes
Flu precaution trumping tradition

By Tracy Jan, Globe Staff | May 1, 2009

Northeastern University is asking its 4,500 graduates to forgo the traditional handshake as they collect their diplomas today to prevent the spread of swine flu - a precaution many graduates dismissed as an overreaction to the potentially lethal virus.

Intent on celebrating their hard-earned achievements, some vow to flout the new regulation. If not a handshake with the dean, graduates ask, then what? A salute? A bow? A chest or a fist bump?

"Maybe I'll pound knuckles with him," said Tushar Patel, a senior graduating with a degree in chemical engineering. "I'll limit the surface area that comes in contact."

University officials made the no-handshake decision yesterday morning in consultation with city, state, and federal public health officials and alerted graduates via an emergency public health update. Northeastern is expecting about 16,000 people to attend its undergraduate ceremony this morning at TD Banknorth Garden, which is expected to be one of the largest gather ings in Boston as the graduation season kicks off. About 5,000 people are expected for the afternoon ceremony for graduate students in the university's Matthews Arena.

"There are no confirmed cases of swine flu that are in any way connected to Northeastern. We are acting out of an abundance of caution," said Michael Armini, a university spokesman, as celebrants will be flying in from around the world.

The university's e-mail advised students to follow recommendations by the Centers for Disease Control and requested graduates and family members to stay home if they are experiencing flu-like symptoms. The swine flu outbreak has to date been identified in as many as 17 states, including Massachusetts, and is believed to have killed more than 160 in Mexico.

"These steps do not diminish the excitement of this occasion or the tremendous accomplishments you have achieved as students," the e-mail alert told students.

But graduates largely scoffed at the notion that they should refrain from physical contact on such a momentous occasion.

"That is a terrible idea. How impractical and impossible is that?" said Joey Fiore, former student body president. "Nobody wants a rapidly spreading infectious disease to be an issue, but the odds of getting swine flu at my graduation are slim to none. I am going to be shaking hands all over the place. Kissing babies, too."

Patel, too, won't hold back from greeting friends and family.

"Limited contact is a ridiculous thing, especially on graduation day," he said. "Am I not supposed to hug my mom? I'm going to hug my mom."

This is the second health alert issued about today's ceremony. Two weeks ago, the university sent out a message asking graduates to alert guests, especially elderly or pregnant ones, to about a dozen suspected cases of mumps on campus. The message urged attendees to check their immunization records and ask a doctor for advice before coming to the ceremonies.

Several students yesterday joked about the university's abundance of caution.

But one student interviewed found Northeastern's flu warning to be prudent.

"It's probably a necessary precaution, just because everything's so uncertain right now regarding the swine flu," said Lauren Alighieri.

The university is also stocking up on hand sanitizers - "as much as we can possibly obtain," Armini said - and will make them readily available during both graduations.

"Feel free to use this as needed," the e-mail to students said, "particularly before and after you have direct contact with others."

In addition to cap and gowns, students suggest, why doesn't the school just hand out surgical masks and latex gloves?

"They should seal the place off, biohazard it like E.T.'s house," joked Lee Ellis, a music industry and cinema studies major. "My hands probably touch more disgusting things in a day that I'm not even aware of."

Students will still have an opportunity on stage to get their picture taken with the dean and commemorate their big moment - so long as they keep their hands to themselves.

Back
Top Bottom