Mexican flu reminiscent of SARS - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2009, 10:00 AM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:56 AM
Im worried as hell now. Ive been feeling rough since the weekend and just now i seen this on google news.

UK on alert after suspected swine flu hits Manchester - Times Online

Sale is my hometown and i was down there in the weekend.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:53 AM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Any one think the media is doing what they normally do? Over playing this? I mean, I know the potential is there for this to be bad....but I really feel like this is a bit much. Makes it seem like end of the world.

I wouldn't think this would be any different than any other flu.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:05 AM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
Any one think the media is doing what they normally do? Over playing this? I mean, I know the potential is there for this to be bad....but I really feel like this is a bit much. Makes it seem like end of the world.

If anything, I'm concerned that they're underplaying it due to the fact that so many deaths have happened in Mexico and not here. A new flu is very different than just any ol' flu and is indeed cause for great concern because when there's a new virus it means we have no immunity to it. I've studied the history of pandemics and this is how they begin...one day they're not there, and the next they're here.

U2ITNOL is exactly right about the waves. It could completely fizzle out like SARS did, or it could be like Hong Kong flu which killed about a million people worldwide (in pandemic terms that would be considered a mild pandemic) or it could go apeshit crazy like the 1918 pandemic.

In my somewhat educated opinion, they should be as aggressive as possible. Overkill would not be a bad thing.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:11 AM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Ok.

Like you said, a new strain is something to be concerned about....but it's going to get to the point where no one will travel, or go anywhere. Talk about just adding insult to a already piss poor economy!!!

Why did the people in Meixco die, and no one from the US has died...yet?

I guess me personally, I can't worry about this kind of stuff. I want the news to report on the facts, not fear.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:18 AM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:56 AM
Quote:
Ok.

Like you said, a new strain is something to be concerned about....but it's going to get to the point where no one will travel, or go anywhere. Talk about just adding insult to a already piss poor economy!!!

I guess me personally, I can't worry about this kind of stuff. I want the news to report on the facts, not fear.
If it were turn into a worst case scenario, all systems would break down, that's why everyone should do personal preparation. And I'm not being an alarmist, just common sense.

The question about why people have died in Mexico and no where else yet is unanswered which makes me wonder if there have in fact been deaths.

It's not about living in fear, it's about common sense preparedness.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:02 PM   #36
War Child

Local Time: 04:56 AM
Quote:

Pretty much, and it'll be like The Boy Who Cried Wolf if something actual ever comes down the pike.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:47 PM   #37
Refugee

Local Time: 10:56 PM
well its been confirmed in Scotland now

Hope we still get our summer gigs

I'm sure these kinds of events could lead to a spread, sweaty folk holding on to each other and cheering

Old 04-27-2009, 02:55 PM   #38
War Child

I think my pic hosting failed earlier. Anyway, the show must go on

Old 04-27-2009, 02:57 PM   #39
Refugee

Local Time: 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaz02 View Post
Im worried as hell now. Ive been feeling rough since the weekend and just now i seen this on google news.

UK on alert after suspected swine flu hits Manchester - Times Online

Sale is my hometown and i was down there in the weekend.

Bagzy your concert tickets!
Old 04-27-2009, 06:42 PM   #40
Blue Crack Distributor

where is the big headline about how all of the 100 kids at st. francis prep in queens are now perfectly fine just a couple of days after the "outbreak" ?
Old 04-27-2009, 08:16 PM   #41
Refugee

Calm down people, measures are being taken to get rid of this thing. The world is not going to end.

Follow these recommendations (if you live in a place where there's been several cases of this flu):

1 - Avoid shacking hands (Or saying hello with a kiss on the cheek like it is used to do with women in Mexico and some other places)

2 - Wash your hands regularly (Especially when you've been out and just came home)

3 - Avoid going to big public events (like concerts or football matches)

Some people even say that taking Vitamin C is a good thing to prevent from getting the flu, you might want to try that aswell.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:30 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:56 AM
"mexican"?, sorry, but it is "swine flu"

here in Mexico is all tense but calm, nothing to really to worry about, the key is not to freak out

today was really weird or something, while there was a press conference about this situation, an earthquake (5.7 richter) started...

on twitter comments were hilarious, my favorite: "take that USA!, apocalypse will begin in Mexico, not NYC!"
Old 04-27-2009, 08:45 PM   #43
Refugee

my favorite...... que le dijo el DF a la Influenza? "mira como tiemblo"
Old 04-27-2009, 08:49 PM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I'm questioning if it is a cultural genetic mutation of some kind. As an example, it was noted that a disease that ravaged Scotland centuries ago left the remaining population, genetically, with a lower life expectancy, as the adaptation that caused the population to resist the illness also lowered their lifespan. Of course, over time now, it's becoming less relevant, as these genes become diluted.

A more contemporary example, the mutation that causes some people to be resistant to HIV infection happens to make them also highly susceptible to the most severe effects of the West Nile Virus infection. Likewise, the mutation that causes malaria resistance amongst some of those of African descent also leads to sickle cell anemia, if two carriers of the gene have children.

Anyway, that's just a thought of mine. Who knows if it has any credence, but it is possible that many Mexicans genetically acquired resistance to a long, lost infection from ages ago that has inadvertently made them more susceptible to this infection.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:59 PM   #45
Refugee

I don't think that's the reason melon, we are talking about 20plus milliion people some were bound to get really sick, according to newspapers in here the official death toll in Mexico city is of 20 or 22....can't remember, I think people didn't go soon enough to the doctor or were just told they had a fever...that's my 2 cents, if anything due to how polluted Mexico City is, you'd think Mexicans should resist a bit more...