Mexican flu reminiscent of SARS - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2009, 01:35 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliEnvy View Post
For Tamiflu to be effective, it has to be taken within the first 48 hours of symptoms. Most people don't seek medical attention that soon in normal circumstances and it's only now that emergency measures are being taken.
Tamiflu is also meaningless with a new virus, or so I understood. I also thought the US cases recovered without any antivirals, so I'm confused by the report that swine flu is responding to Tamiflu. Perhaps because even though it's a swine flu, it's not one we've ever seen before.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:00 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 12:20 AM
This may not be 100% technically accurate but Tamiflu attacks the neurotramsmitter that is common to all flu strains. That's the main reason it is stockpiled for a potential pandemic. If taken in time the probability of a cytokine storm becomes less and less.

What has me confused is that some reports say that the deadly strain is a human/bird/swine combination not seen before and that the Mexican and US strains have been found to be the same. How can that be if one is deadly and the other isn't...I guess much of the information is coming too fast to be accurate.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:02 PM   #18
Refugee

As thought yesterday it was only a matter of time that it hit Canada.

Swine flu confirmed in Canada

TORONTO — Health authorities in Nova Scotia say four students in the province who have had mild cases of swine flu do have a link with Mexico.

-- Sources say British Columbia has found a pair of cases but it is not yet clear if they have a link to Mexico.

-- Ontario health officials are monitoring eleven individuals who have recently travelled to Mexico and who are experiencing "mild" symptoms associated with the outbreak, a spokesman for the Ministry of Health said on Sunday.

-- “The swine flu were are seeing outside of Mexico is very mild,” said Dr. Strang.

globeandmail.com: Swine flu confirmed in Canada
Old 04-26-2009, 03:41 PM   #19
Refugee

You can track where it's spreading now with Google Maps. So far confirmed cases are in Mexico, USA, and Canada.

H1N1 Swine Flu - Google Maps
Old 04-26-2009, 04:08 PM   #20
War Child

Who knows how bad this may get?

You know, it may be way off-base to speculate about this, but I wonder if this swine flu could potentially affect U2's tour? Mexico City has canceled public events indefinitely...I know this flu thing has just taken off and we won't know its full scope for a while, but you've got to wonder how far-reaching it will become...
Old 04-26-2009, 07:48 PM   #21
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonoschild2009 View Post
You know, it may be way off-base to speculate about this, but I wonder if this swine flu could potentially affect U2's tour? Mexico City has canceled public events indefinitely...I know this flu thing has just taken off and we won't know its full scope for a while, but you've got to wonder how far-reaching it will become...
If this swine flu becomes a full-fledged pandemic and follows a course similar to the 1918 pandemic, a 1st wave of mild flu with low fatalities in the spring followed by more fatal 2nd and 3rd waves in fall and winter, then yes, U2's tour this summer/fall could be in jeopardy. If you read the following article at the cdc.gov website regarding the 1918 pandemic, what we're seeing now with the swine flu seems eerily similar to the 1918 pandemic. There's also the possibility this fizzles out in the next few weeks and it's the end of it. Really hard to predict at this point what will happen.

1918 Influenza Pandemic | CDC EID

Quote:
In the 1918–1919 pandemic, a first or spring wave began in March 1918 and spread unevenly through the United States, Europe, and possibly Asia over the next 6 months (Figure 1). Illness rates were high, but death rates in most locales were not appreciably above normal. A second or fall wave spread globally from September to November 1918 and was highly fatal. In many nations, a third wave occurred in early 1919 (21). Clinical similarities led contemporary observers to conclude initially that they were observing the same disease in the successive waves. The milder forms of illness in all 3 waves were identical and typical of influenza seen in the 1889 pandemic and in prior interpandemic years. In retrospect, even the rapid progressions from uncomplicated influenza infections to fatal pneumonia, a hallmark of the 1918–1919 fall and winter waves, had been noted in the relatively few severe spring wave cases. The differences between the waves thus seemed to be primarily in the much higher frequency of complicated, severe, and fatal cases in the last 2 waves.

Figure 1. Three pandemic waves: weekly combined influenza and pneumonia mortality, United Kingdom, 1918–1919
Old 04-26-2009, 11:17 PM   #22
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:20 PM
I'm not sure if this new flu is as virulent as SARS was, but being relatively close to Toronto as I am, I was extremely impressed with the way that our public health officials dealt with that. We're very fortunate in Canada that our officials and medical personnel are experienced with this sort of outbreak, and that there is a tested protocol in place for dealing with it.

Has anyone heard anything about why there are a large number of fatalities in Mexico, but nowhere else in the world? If I had to guess, I'd say it's because of the crowdedness of Mexico City, and perhaps a lower level of health care or hygiene? That's only an uneducated guess, though. In these early stages where other North Americans are being affected through direct contact with Mexico, I'd say it's probably too early for the virus to have mutated, so it has to be something that's causing people outside of Mexico to have milder cases with a high survival rate.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:11 AM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

ugh. i spend 2 hours a day on public transportation.

let's hope it's not in DC.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:13 AM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:20 AM
Does alcohol kill these germs? I'm just curious.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:38 AM   #25
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
We can only hope. :heinekenbuzz:

I megadose on vitamin C to make up for my vices. I'm okay, right?
Old 04-27-2009, 02:50 AM   #26
Refugee

Local Time: 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
ugh. i spend 2 hours a day on public transportation.

let's hope it's not in DC.
yes, lets hope its not in DC

I'm moving there soon.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:52 AM   #27
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonoschild2009 View Post
Old 04-27-2009, 07:45 AM   #28
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:20 AM
Quote:
Regular handwash will do the trick for getting rid of most things off your hands, including viruses.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:44 AM   #29
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
Really sad...

something to stay informed about.
I agree.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:28 AM   #30
Refugee

Quote:
It surpresses your immune system which for young, healthy adults in such an outbreak, would give binge drinking legitimate medicinal status.

Cheers.