MERGED-> Tom Cruise and Scientology freak me out + Video protest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coemgen

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Tom Cruise and Scientology freak me out

Cruise extols Scientology in 2004 video

* Scientology membership a privilege that's earned, Cruise says
* 2004 video part of ceremony honoring Cruise for humanitarian work
* Scientology defined as "study of the truth"

(CNN) -- Tom Cruise expounds on his beliefs in Scientology in a 2004 video that made its way onto the Internet this week.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Scientologist, and it's something you have to earn," Cruise says at the beginning of the video.

Cruise says he's "driven ... by the opportunity to really help, for the first time, change people's lives. I'm absolutely, uncompromisingly dedicated to that."

The video was shown at a 2004 Scientology ceremony honoring Cruise for his humanitarian work. Church of Scientology officials said it can be viewed at any of its churches, but it created a stir this week when what the church calls a pirated and edited version appeared on YouTube.

The video has since been taken off YouTube, but an interview portion remained available on the celebrity Web site gawker.com on Thursday.

"The Cruise Indoctrination Video Scientology Tried To Suppress" is the title of gawker.com's presentation.

"You have to watch this video," the site says. "It shows Tom Cruise, with all the wide-eyed fervor that he brings to the promotion of a movie, making the argument for Scientology," which it calls "the bizarre 20th-century religion. VideoWatch "Showbiz Tonight" discussion of Cruise video »

Cruise talks over a repetitive guitar-riff soundtrack, and appears to be answering questions, though an interviewer is not seen or heard.

A second part of the video, made available to CNN by the publisher of a new unauthorized biography of Cruise, shows Cruise accepting Scientology's Freedom Medal of Valor award and exchanging military-like salutes with Scientology chairman David Miscavige to audience applause. The publisher denies leaking other parts of the video to the Web.

In the video by the publisher, Cruise also salutes a portrait of L. Ron Hubbard, cited on the church's Web site as the founder of "the only major religion founded in the 20th century."

Hubbard's biography cites his accomplishments as everything from mariner and horticulturalist to author and humanitarian.

In the video, Cruise puts emphasis on the latter role.

A Scientologist "has the ability to create new realities and improve conditions," Cruise says.

On its Web site, the Church of Scientology highlights its humanitarian work, from anti-drug campaigns in places from Minnesota to Taiwan to teacher training in India.

The Web site defines Scientology as "the study of truth." Cruise embraces that in the video.

"If you're a Scientologist, ... you see things the way they are," Cruise says.

He also says he finds peace in the religion.

"The more you know as a Scientologist, you don't become overwhelmed by it," according to Cruise.

The unauthorized biography of Cruise is by author Andrew Mortin. A Cruise spokesperson and the Church of Scientology have disputed the book, saying Mortin did not seek their comment.

"Accuracy and truth were not on Morton's agenda," according to a church statement.

Mortin denies that and says Cruise, who he calls "a towering figure on the international scene," and his faith are worthy of scrutiny.

"Tom Cruise has done remarkable work for his faith over the past few years," Mortin said. "If it wasn't for him the Church of Scientology would be a shadow of what it is today."

that video is scary at times... though heavily edited.. we do not get to hear the questions, or Cruise' full responses. Plus, the music they add to it is quite silly, they are trying to paint him a certain way.

First off, deep. That quote "He says he finds peace in the religion" shouldn't be attributed to me. Also, that's not what I find creepy.

Secondly, I'm not "worked up," I just find it creepy, as do many people.

There are a lot of things in many belief systems that are unappealing to me.

I suppose one could label them creepy.

The ones that concern me the most,
are the ones that think their beliefs should have influence over others that do not fall within their group.

I do not see Scientology in that light, at all.

i suppose we have to derive from this that some religions are religions and other religions are cults.

but how do we get to that conclusion?

coemgen said:
First off, deep. That quote "He says he finds peace in the religion" shouldn't be attributed to me. Also, that's not what I find creepy.

Sorry

That is from your first post.

It is in the "article".

I should have attributed it to the writer of the article.

To me, that is a very legitimate reason to participate in a "belief system'.

Last edited:
Actually there is nothing wrong with Scientology, it is just another example of how people just can't stand differences in each other. Similar to Americans who hate Islam, terrorists who hate Judaism, the hatred between the Sunnis and Shiites, the hatred between Hindus and Muslims in India/Pakistan.

The only difference is that hatred towards Scientology is more socially exceptable.

coemgen said:
Watch the video, deep.
my audio is out on this comp

perhaps later

but, again I don't really watch "others" or care,
unless I see them wanting influence beyond people that choose to participate within the group

The Bible is full of UFOs.

and some strange IFOs (identified flying objects) that I believe were erroneously - identified.

But that is the business of the people the choose to participate in that "belief system".

Is it my place to ridicule them if they do not interfere with me?

I don't think so.

But I believe there is a lot of T Cruise bashing based on his participation in a non-mainstream religion.

What is a cult?

What is a religion?

These are very subjective questions.

So I just call them "belief systems".

deep said:
I don't think so.

But I believe there is a lot of T Cruise bashing based on his participation in a non-mainstream religion.

Some part of it probably is.

But, Tom Cruise has been a scientologist for a very long time. Almost all of the bashing is a creation of the last 2 years.

Which is when he fired his long-time (and excellent) publicist, replaced her with his sister, and started behaving strangely and saying inappropriate things in public.

I think many people say, Tom Cruise is crazy for being a Scientologist. I think many others just think he is crazy at this point. :shrug:

VintagePunk said:
Scientology isn't a benign quasi-religion, it's a dangerous cult engaged in harassment of members who attempt to leave, as well as endless lawsuits against naysayers. Their tactics are astounding.

http://www.xenu.net/

I don't know much about it

or care much about it

that site
is an "anti" site.

there are anti-Catholic sites
and they have had some "lawsuits" and tacits, too.

I could say the same for most any Religion/ belief system :shrug:

point is, people have to choose to "opt in".

martha said:

Look it up. I'm not stating an opinion here. They believe they were exiled from another planet because they were bad.

Well it is not the only religion that believes something like that. Jainism and I think Hinduism, for exmaple, believe that there are more than one planet in which our souls move back and forth from depending on how good we were in our lives. And they both believe in reincarnation as does Scientology. And if you look into Hindu epics you will see things such as an army of ape men, a god with the head of an elephant, etc. So doesn't every religion have parts to it that seem impossible in science and in modern day real life? What about Christianity's belief that God created the world in 7 days and their rejection of evolution?

And i'm not a Scientologist, nor am I very religious at all. Personally, I don't believe in any religion but what I do believe in is in the principles of various religions.

Last edited:
Infinitum98 said:
Well it is not the only religion that believes something like that. Jainism and I think Hinduism, for exmaple, believe that there are more than one planet in which our souls move back and forth from depending on how good we were in our lives. And they both believe in reincarnation as does Scientology. And if you look into Hindu epics you will see things such as an army of ape men, a god with the head of an elephant, etc. So doesn't every religion have parts to it that seem impossible in science and in modern day real life? What about Christianity's belief that God created the world in 7 days and their rejection of evolution?

As usual, you are talking about things when you don't know very much about it. Hinduism and Jainism are nothing like Scientology. GO LOOK IT UP before you say anymore. I know you won't; you do like to post assumptions and what you "think" might be true.

Go look up Ganesha while you're looking things up.

First off, there's a distinct historical pattern of how new religions are received. That is, "new" ones are inevitably seen as "insane," because religion is only given credence through age.

With that, my main issues with Scientology are the fact that it very clearly started out as a pseudoscientific critique of psychiatry, and only when they threatened to find a way to quash L. Ron Hubbard's anti-psychiatry methods did he circumvent them by creating a religion. Being anti-psychiatry alone doesn't bother me (in fact, I hold a very low opinion of psychiatry myself), but the fact that they substitute questionable psychiatric practices with questionable practices of their own I find to be sketchy.

As for Tom Cruise, I think he's probably quite a bit off of his rocker, but I don't think that's Scientology's fault. Prior to that, he was noted to be a rather fanatical Catholic, and, in fact, he was actually in a seminary for a few years, as he aspired to be a priest before being an actor. He merely exchanged Catholicism for Scientology to be the target of his zeal.

melon said:

As for Tom Cruise, I think he's probably quite a bit off of his rocker, but I don't think that's Scientology's fault. Prior to that, he was noted to be a rather fanatical Catholic, and, in fact, he was actually in a seminary for a few years, as he aspired to be a priest before being an actor.

Spot on. And personally I find Opus Dei to be more sinister than Scientology.

martha said:

As usual, you are talking about things when you don't know very much about it. Hinduism and Jainism are nothing like Scientology. GO LOOK IT UP before you say anymore. I know you won't; you do like to post assumptions and what you "think" might be true.

Go look up Ganesha while you're looking things up.

I don't need to look it up, i'm a Jain and i've learned about this since I was a kid. I know the story of Ganesh. I know the story of Ramayan. So yes, I do know very much about it.

But what i'm saying is that what Hinduism believes in, can we confirm it through science? Or does it even come close to what has been proven.

Like the story of Ganesh. Basically what it says is that Ganesh was a young boy and his father came home once, Ganesh thought he was a stranger so he didn't let him in the door. His father got angry and chopped Ganesh's head off, but later realized that it was his own son who he did this to. The first living creature he saw after the incident was an elephant, so he chopped the elephant's head off, and put it on his son's head.

So should we call it a crazy cult because of this? I'm just trying to say that all religions have beliefs and stories that seem abnormal.

Back
Top Bottom