MERGED-> Tom Cruise and Scientology freak me out + Video protest - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-17-2008, 08:58 PM   #61
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
actually, South Park did a pretty good job describing the basic beliefs of Scientology.



and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyce_Meyer


I think Hubbard's basic idea was, 'Let's see if I can make up something so absurd that no-one could possibly fall for it.'

And then:- 'Hold on a minute, they actually fell for it....let's run with this....'

Just like Benny Hinn looking for donations for his new aircraft, and all in the glory of Jesus no doubt. __________________

__________________
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:59 PM   #62
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen


If God were to become a human any other explaination wouldn't fit.
A Godman being born into this world like everyone else makes infinitely more sense to me.

Many people think my beliefs are insane as well. I really don't care.

Ive never investigated Scientology deeply because I have absolutely no draw to it. But I have known some Scientologists over the years and they were outstanding human beings, highly intelligent and ethical people. They didn't try to convert me. Tom Cruise isn't the only representative of those teachings.

I think everyone's religion sounds crazy to others who are into something else.
__________________

__________________
joyfulgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:00 PM   #63
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,473
Local Time: 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk


I'm not really sure why you're sounding so confrontational re: the similarities and differences between Scientology and Christianity practices. I don't agree with the fundamentalist way of dealing with it either - I'm agnostic.

As for Scientology, if I recall the reading I've done over the years, it's "cured" by intensive "therapy" sessions. Physically and mentally harmful.


i apologize -- don't mean to come off confrontational.

like i said earlier, i'm not defending Scientology, i'm saying that there are cultish practices within mainstream religions that are far more harmful than the pyramid scheme.

the difference, as i see it, is that Scientology seems to be entered into by adults where as children are born into, say, Southern Baptism.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:05 PM   #64
ONE
love, blood, life
 
MrBrau1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Verplexed in Vermont
Posts: 10,436
Local Time: 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511




but we all know it's just allegory, right? i mean, come on, a whale swallowing a man? talking snakes? a genocidal deity who drowns people he doesn't like in a flood?
Hubbard had DC10s, only with jet engines, flying through space 75 million years ago.

you don't find that more hysterical than talking animals or God making it rain?
__________________
"If you needed my autograph, I'd give it to you." Bob Dylan
MrBrau1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:06 PM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Strong Badia
Posts: 3,429
Local Time: 05:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511


like i said earlier, i'm not defending Scientology, i'm saying that there are cultish practices within mainstream religions that are far more harmful than the pyramid scheme.
Scientology's not a pyramid scheme. Read the Rolling Stone and Time articles. Check out what they do to reporters who investigate them.

Not picking on you, Irvine. Just saying.
__________________
nathan1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:07 PM   #66
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,473
Local Time: 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nathan1977


Scientology's not a pyramid scheme. Read the Rolling Stone and Time articles. Check out what they do to reporters who investigate them.


do they string them upside down and saw them in half?
__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:08 PM   #67
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,473
Local Time: 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1


Hubbard had DC10s, only with jet engines, flying through space 75 million years ago.

you don't find that more hysterical than talking animals or God making it rain?


honestly, i think it all equals out in the end.

i think there's an essence of hucksterism and sales behind all religions, every last one.

it doesn't mean that they can't all get at why we respond to religion -- what happens when i die? is this all there is? -- but it does mean that there are basic blueprints in place that all religions operate by.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:09 PM   #68
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 06:09 AM
Incidentally, every day on the way to work and on the way home, I pass the Scientology office in Ireland, and there never seems to be much activity going on inside or around it, and I understand that Scientology has won few recruits in Ireland.

It occurs to me that having ditching Catholicism, the Irish are too busy anaesthesizing themselves with booze and coke to bother with new religions.

(Thus perhaps disproving the old adage that when people stop believing in Christianity, they believe in anything).

Or alternatively and more optimistically, perhaps there is a certain scepticism in our national mentality that doesn't lend itself to believing in every new fad or cult.
__________________
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:10 PM   #69
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl


A Godman being born into this world like everyone else makes infinitely more sense to me.

Many people think my beliefs are insane as well. I really don't care.

Ive never investigated Scientology deeply because I have absolutely no draw to it. But I have known some Scientologists over the years and they were outstanding human beings, highly intelligent and ethical people. They didn't try to convert me. Tom Cruise isn't the only representative of those teachings.

I think everyone's religion sounds crazy to others who are into something else.

I agree.
__________________
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:11 PM   #70
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,732
Local Time: 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511



i apologize -- don't mean to come off confrontational.

like i said earlier, i'm not defending Scientology, i'm saying that there are cultish practices within mainstream religions that are far more harmful than the pyramid scheme.

the difference, as i see it, is that Scientology seems to be entered into by adults where as children are born into, say, Southern Baptism.
Oh, don't worry about it, I probably misinterpreted. And yes, children are born into Scientology. I think maybe it's not thought of in that manner, because it's a relatively new movement, but they are.

Again (ever feel like you were beating your head against a wall?), when I read about the things they are guilty of - things that are public record - fraud, breaking and entering, blackmail, stalking, physical threats, killing, litigiousness/ inundating people and institutions with frivolous lawsuits - I'm appalled. And these aren't isolated incidents, this is how they operate routinely! From what I've read, they're far more insidious and dangerous than Christianity. I realize Christianity has its faults, but even they don't go that far.
__________________
VintagePunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:13 PM   #71
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 09:09 PM
I personally don't find much value in associating with an agreed upon dogma.


I know many others do find value and believe they get great benefit.

I respect that.
__________________
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:21 PM   #72
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
coemgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Black and White Town
Posts: 3,962
Local Time: 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511




but we all know it's just allegory, right? i mean, come on, a whale swallowing a man? talking snakes? a genocidal deity who drowns people he doesn't like in a flood?
Well, in some places the Bible is allegory. However, there's records of people being swallowed by "big fish" and living after the fish was killed and they were cut/rescued. And the flood wasn't God killing people he simply didn't like, he was wiping out an uber depraved generation with no hope of recovery.
__________________
coemgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:23 PM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
coemgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Black and White Town
Posts: 3,962
Local Time: 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy


Hubbard was a clever huckster, much like

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benny_h...y_and_theology

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyce_Meyer


I think Hubbard's basic idea was, 'Let's see if I can make up something so absurd that no-one could possibly fall for it.'

And then:- 'Hold on a minute, they actually fell for it....let's run with this....'

Just like Benny Hinn looking for donations for his new aircraft, and all in the glory of Jesus no doubt.
I completely agree with you on Benny Hinn and Joyce Meyer. Definitely cultish. In fact, my in-laws whom I mentioned before? They both give money to these two.
__________________
coemgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:25 PM   #74
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen


. And the flood wasn't God killing people he simply didn't like, he was wiping out an uber depraved generation with no hope of recovery.
you believe everybody on the planet was wicked - evil , expect Noah and the handful that made it on the ark?
__________________
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:25 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
coemgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Black and White Town
Posts: 3,962
Local Time: 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511




do they string them upside down and saw them in half?
They wanted to after the articles were written.
__________________

__________________
coemgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com