MERGED-> Tom Cruise and Scientology freak me out + Video protest - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2008, 06:10 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha
Scientology is a UFO cult. Look into it.
Why do you think that? There may be scientologists that are crazy, but why scientology?

Old 01-17-2008, 06:12 PM   #17
She's the One

Local Time: 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Infinitum98

Why do you think that? There may be scientologists that are crazy, but why scientology?
Look it up. I'm not stating an opinion here. They believe they were exiled from another planet because they were bad.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:13 PM   #18
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

and this is better/ or worse than believing in what others may consider "imaginary beings" floating in space?
Did I make a value judgement? I stated a fact.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:17 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

The Bible is full of UFOs.

and some strange IFOs (identified flying objects) that I believe were erroneously - identified.

But that is the business of the people the choose to participate in that "belief system".

Is it my place to ridicule them if they do not interfere with me?
Old 01-17-2008, 06:18 PM   #20
She's the One

Quote:

Is it my place to ridicule them if they do not interfere with me?
Did I ridicule anybody?
Old 01-17-2008, 06:23 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

I don't think so.

But I believe there is a lot of T Cruise bashing based on his participation in a non-mainstream religion.

What is a cult?

What is a religion?

These are very subjective questions.

So I just call them "belief systems".
Old 01-17-2008, 06:28 PM   #22
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:44 PM
Scientology isn't a benign quasi-religion, it's a dangerous cult engaged in harassment of members who attempt to leave, as well as endless lawsuits against naysayers. Their tactics are astounding.

http://www.xenu.net/
Old 01-17-2008, 06:35 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I don't think so.

But I believe there is a lot of T Cruise bashing based on his participation in a non-mainstream religion.
Some part of it probably is.

But, Tom Cruise has been a scientologist for a very long time. Almost all of the bashing is a creation of the last 2 years.

Which is when he fired his long-time (and excellent) publicist, replaced her with his sister, and started behaving strangely and saying inappropriate things in public.

I think many people say, Tom Cruise is crazy for being a Scientologist. I think many others just think he is crazy at this point.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:45 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk
Scientology isn't a benign quasi-religion, it's a dangerous cult engaged in harassment of members who attempt to leave, as well as endless lawsuits against naysayers. Their tactics are astounding.

http://www.xenu.net/
I don't know much about it

or care much about it

that site
is an "anti" site.

there are anti-Catholic sites
and they have had some "lawsuits" and tacits, too.

I could say the same for most any Religion/ belief system

point is, people have to choose to "opt in".
Old 01-17-2008, 06:50 PM   #25
Refugee

Quote:

Look it up. I'm not stating an opinion here. They believe they were exiled from another planet because they were bad.
Well it is not the only religion that believes something like that. Jainism and I think Hinduism, for exmaple, believe that there are more than one planet in which our souls move back and forth from depending on how good we were in our lives. And they both believe in reincarnation as does Scientology. And if you look into Hindu epics you will see things such as an army of ape men, a god with the head of an elephant, etc. So doesn't every religion have parts to it that seem impossible in science and in modern day real life? What about Christianity's belief that God created the world in 7 days and their rejection of evolution?

And i'm not a Scientologist, nor am I very religious at all. Personally, I don't believe in any religion but what I do believe in is in the principles of various religions.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:54 PM   #26
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by Infinitum98
Well it is not the only religion that believes something like that. Jainism and I think Hinduism, for exmaple, believe that there are more than one planet in which our souls move back and forth from depending on how good we were in our lives. And they both believe in reincarnation as does Scientology. And if you look into Hindu epics you will see things such as an army of ape men, a god with the head of an elephant, etc. So doesn't every religion have parts to it that seem impossible in science and in modern day real life? What about Christianity's belief that God created the world in 7 days and their rejection of evolution?
As usual, you are talking about things when you don't know very much about it. Hinduism and Jainism are nothing like Scientology. GO LOOK IT UP before you say anymore. I know you won't; you do like to post assumptions and what you "think" might be true.

Go look up Ganesha while you're looking things up.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:00 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:44 PM
Quote:

I don't know much about it

or care much about it

that site
is an "anti" site.
Is Time magazine an "Anti-" magazine?

http://www.xenu.net/archive/media/time910605.html

Let's not confuse mainstream religions with cults, which are coercive in nature, abusive in practice, controlling in the extreme, and mentally, emotionally, and spiritually crippling.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:04 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

First off, there's a distinct historical pattern of how new religions are received. That is, "new" ones are inevitably seen as "insane," because religion is only given credence through age.

With that, my main issues with Scientology are the fact that it very clearly started out as a pseudoscientific critique of psychiatry, and only when they threatened to find a way to quash L. Ron Hubbard's anti-psychiatry methods did he circumvent them by creating a religion. Being anti-psychiatry alone doesn't bother me (in fact, I hold a very low opinion of psychiatry myself), but the fact that they substitute questionable psychiatric practices with questionable practices of their own I find to be sketchy.

As for Tom Cruise, I think he's probably quite a bit off of his rocker, but I don't think that's Scientology's fault. Prior to that, he was noted to be a rather fanatical Catholic, and, in fact, he was actually in a seminary for a few years, as he aspired to be a priest before being an actor. He merely exchanged Catholicism for Scientology to be the target of his zeal.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:06 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

As for Tom Cruise, I think he's probably quite a bit off of his rocker, but I don't think that's Scientology's fault. Prior to that, he was noted to be a rather fanatical Catholic, and, in fact, he was actually in a seminary for a few years, as he aspired to be a priest before being an actor.
Spot on. And personally I find Opus Dei to be more sinister than Scientology.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:10 PM   #30
Refugee

Quote:

As usual, you are talking about things when you don't know very much about it. Hinduism and Jainism are nothing like Scientology. GO LOOK IT UP before you say anymore. I know you won't; you do like to post assumptions and what you "think" might be true.

Go look up Ganesha while you're looking things up.
I don't need to look it up, i'm a Jain and i've learned about this since I was a kid. I know the story of Ganesh. I know the story of Ramayan. So yes, I do know very much about it.

But what i'm saying is that what Hinduism believes in, can we confirm it through science? Or does it even come close to what has been proven.

Like the story of Ganesh. Basically what it says is that Ganesh was a young boy and his father came home once, Ganesh thought he was a stranger so he didn't let him in the door. His father got angry and chopped Ganesh's head off, but later realized that it was his own son who he did this to. The first living creature he saw after the incident was an elephant, so he chopped the elephant's head off, and put it on his son's head.

So should we call it a crazy cult because of this? I'm just trying to say that all religions have beliefs and stories that seem abnormal.