MERGED-> Tom Cruise and Scientology freak me out + Video protest - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-12-2008, 07:24 AM   #196
Refugee
 
fly so high!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: St Andrews NSW Australia
Posts: 1,835
Local Time: 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1


you need to lighten up.

and stop defending Scientology with your hatred of Christianity.

There's crazy.

And there's fucking crazy.
*** ROUND OF APPLAUSE ***

Here is the Sydney protests one:
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...-29277,00.html

There was 2 things that turned me off my teenage fantasy with the Top Gun.

1. Found out he was knee-high to a grasshopper
2. He believes that we are all Aliens that were exiled from another planet.

But i guess looking at Katie....she does kinda look like a grey....and Posh , well , she looks like a grasshopper!
__________________

__________________
fly so high! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:32 PM   #197
The Fly
 
maude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 102
Local Time: 08:05 PM
Some of you so-called "Christians" have missed the point of Christ's message, which was one of love and tolerance. There is nothing of Christ's love in your never-ending need to attack and trash other people's beliefs and you certainly don't garner other's respect for your viewpoint or have any hope of influencing people to agree with you and your beliefs through hateful rantings.
__________________

__________________
maude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:42 PM   #198
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 07:05 PM
Go Maude



Why don't we start bashing Hindus and Buddhists next?

dbs
__________________
diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:47 PM   #199
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2isthebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vision over visibility....
Posts: 12,332
Local Time: 10:05 PM
Love and tolerance do not mean blind acceptance of everything one sees. Those of us who are Christians have a duty to speak out against things that oppress people and cause them harm. If one researches the history of Scientology and reads the accounts of people that have been deeply involved in it and are now no longer a part, it becomes clear that they are a dangerous and ruthless organization that is only after people's money and in interested exerting power over them. There are sects like that in every faith group, including Christianity. All of them have to be exposed and stopped before they harm more people. Also, the logic of blind tolerance would mean that we should "tolerate" racism or any kind of discrimination. If we're supposed to truly accept everyone's beliefs, that would mean we would be ok with someone believing that another person should not have the same rights , privileges, and freedoms they enjoy because of their race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, etc. It would mean standing by watching as these groups oppress these people, as Scientologists do those members who dare to try to leave, or as the Christian Right does to gay individuals. It's a fine line; in order to secure rights and freedoms for all people, anything or anyone (including Scientology) that would want to prevent that from happening, has to be called out and shown for what it truly is.
__________________
U2isthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:48 PM   #200
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Strong Badia
Posts: 3,429
Local Time: 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
Go Maude



Why don't we start bashing Hindus and Buddhists next?

dbs
Because to my knowledge Hindus and Buddhists don't fordibly sequester their followers away from family, friends, and loved ones, hide "secret theologies" and force people to pay for higher levels of understanding, and stalk, harass, and legally prosecute anyone who disagrees with them.

Scientologists, as has repeatedly been said on this board, have been known to do that.

Again, Scientologists can believe any old crazy thing they want to. That's not my business. But their methods, however, are increasingly suspect...and dangerous.
__________________
nathan1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:00 PM   #201
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nathan1977


Because to my knowledge ....
1 Corthinians 3:1-2.

dbs
__________________
diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:04 PM   #202
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2isthebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vision over visibility....
Posts: 12,332
Local Time: 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond


1 Corthinians 3:1-2.

dbs
What do those verses have to do with anything being discussed here?
__________________
U2isthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:09 PM   #203
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 10:05 PM
On the plus side, at least Scientologists don't come knocking at my door trying to convert me.
__________________
indra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:12 PM   #204
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2isthebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vision over visibility....
Posts: 12,332
Local Time: 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra
On the plus side, at least Scientologists don't come knocking at my door trying to convert me.
We can give 'em that.

However, once you're in, you can never get out. They're like the Mafia. If you try and leave they will break you.
__________________
U2isthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:24 PM   #205
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest


We can give 'em that.

However, once you're in, you can never get out. They're like the Mafia. If you try and leave they will break you.
I think once they saw my annual income I'd be shown the door pretty quickly. Sometimes being a chronic underachiever has it's pluses.
__________________
indra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:37 PM   #206
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Zoomerang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: canada
Posts: 13,459
Local Time: 08:05 PM
i can't ever remember saying this before...

but mr. brau is EASILY my favourite poster in this thread. good work.
__________________
Zoomerang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:20 PM   #207
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,979
Local Time: 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by maude
Some of you so-called "Christians" have missed the point of Christ's message, which was one of love and tolerance. There is nothing of Christ's love in your never-ending need to attack and trash other people's beliefs and you certainly don't garner other's respect for your viewpoint or have any hope of influencing people to agree with you and your beliefs through hateful rantings.
I love and tolerate Scientologists-however that doesn't mean I can't be skeptical of their methods and of what they believe. Frankly I don't give a damn what they believe and I defend their rights to believe, however I do care about Tom Cruise's total bs about postpartum depression and his seeming belief that he knows all about it and psychiatry- and about any abuse that may occur by/to Scientologists. But if people can compare it to Christianity and say other things about Christianity in this thread that have been said, well I think any and all Christians can offer their opinions as well. Love and tolerance shouldn't be expected only from Christians, it should be expected from all others as well.

I don't have any need to trash anyone's beliefs, I think you are making some sweeping generalizations there. I have zero "hate" for them either. Christianity has been analyzed and criticized for a long time now and certainly around here, and I think Scientology deserves the same level of both.
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:43 PM   #208
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 6,615
Local Time: 03:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest


What do those verses have to do with anything being discussed here?
He doesn't know himself.
__________________
Vincent Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:05 PM   #209
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2isthebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vision over visibility....
Posts: 12,332
Local Time: 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen


I love and tolerate Scientologists-however that doesn't mean I can't be skeptical of their methods and of what they believe. Frankly I don't give a damn what they believe and I defend their rights to believe, however I do care about Tom Cruise's total bs about postpartum depression and his seeming belief that he knows all about it and psychiatry- and about any abuse that may occur by/to Scientologists. But if people can compare it to Christianity and say other things about Christianity in this thread that have been said, well I think any and all Christians can offer their opinions as well. Love and tolerance shouldn't be expected only from Christians, it should be expected from all others as well.

I don't have any need to trash anyone's beliefs, I think you are making some sweeping generalizations there. I have zero "hate" for them either. Christianity has been analyzed and criticized for a long time now and certainly around here, and I think Scientology deserves the same level of both.
Thank you. You said I what I was trying to say in my post but finding difficult to express. I have no problem with their beliefs at the base level. I think they're weird and "out there", but as a Christian I have some theological beliefs that seem pretty crazy themselves. It's all a matter of your faith perspective and what you choose to believe or not believe in. So, my problem doesn't lie in their theology. It's their methodology that is disturbing. As has been pointed out by many here, they hold back key information about their beliefs from all but the most advanced adherents, they make church members pay to go to higher levels, they will resort to shady methods to keep people from saying anything negative about them, etc. Their beliefs about physical and mental illnesses are misinformed at best, and life-endangering at worst. They encourage people to stay away from medicine or any medical treatment because all diseases are psychosomatic or so they say. This goes for physical and mental illness. Jenna Elfman, the actress, has actually said "AIDS is a state of mind, not a disease." It might sound unbelievable, but google it. She's a Scientologist and got that belief from the church. If one doesn't think that kind of reasoning isn't dangerous, I don't know what to say. There are many extreme forms of Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism or any religion that are just as dangerous, however, they're just that, extremists. They don't represent the beliefs or values of the broader or majority groups of people who are a part of these faiths. Scientology's very nature is deceitful and harmful. I would suggest to any one who's made a comment in favor of Scientology to take a look at the articles from TIME magazine and Rolling Stone that were posted earlier in the thread.
__________________
U2isthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:31 PM   #210
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega


He doesn't know himself.
I do, you don't.

dbs
__________________

__________________
diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com