MERGED --> Da Vinci Code - What's up??? + 'The Da Vinci Code' Fizzles at Cannes - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2006, 09:12 PM   #31
Refugee

Local Time: 02:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by toscano

They're all the same book........I thought Point was the weakest of the 4
Oh, and as a fellow Italian it pains me to say Eco is a major league snooze-fest

Old 05-08-2006, 09:42 PM   #32
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:52 AM
Well all i can say so far after only reading 10 pages so far is WOW!

To me, so far it is VERY well written&i can usually tell if a book will be any good from the start! Every page i read is totally hugely gripping&i just feel as if it will only continue It doesn't hurt either that i found the Louvre an amazing place&so it will be fascinating to read for that reason and for the historical aspect too, of course!

Will definitely be there to see on day of release

Old 05-08-2006, 10:18 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by toscano

They're all the same book........
good point - "insert plausible conspiracy theme" and write 400 pages of decent stuff with 50 pages of "just end the damn book already" in the conclusion = bestseller
Old 05-08-2006, 10:25 PM   #34
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by randhail

good point - "insert plausible conspiracy theme" and write 400 pages of decent stuff with 50 pages of "just end the damn book already" in the conclusion = bestseller
He's like any other formulaic bestselling author (eg: Danielle Steele ), his books are just a little more intelligent and thought-provoking.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:30 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie

For me, the best part of the book was the discussion of phi as the golden ratio. That was some pretty nifty stuff.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:02 AM   #36
Jesus Online

Local Time: 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LPU2

Poorly written? It's a thriller! You expected Faulkner?

My degree's in literature. I've read everything from Chaucer to Kesey, but I'm a sucker for a good thriller, and I have to say that I thought it was some pretty captivating storytelling. And the ingredients! Murder, art, history, religion, secrets, conspiracies, codes. Irresistable. A perfect fit for the History Channel crowd.

To answer the original question, the reason there's so much hype about the upcoming movie is simply because so damn many people read the book. 'Course, never hurts that the Catholic Church is telling people to stay away.
With all due respect, having read Chaucer and Kesey doesn't make an expert opinion on whether this was a good read. Nor does having a degree in literature. If I state I've been reading anything I could get my hands on for over 20 years now, does that make my pedigree good enough to comment on this? Frankly, it doesn't matter. I found it poorly written and the storyline rather neat and trite. The subject matter is of course brilliant. However the subject matter does not make it a brilliant story. If being one of some History Channel Crowd is not elitism, then I don't know what is!

As they say, being an author does not make one a writer any more than being a painter makes an artist.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:58 AM   #37
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
The only thing I know about it is that Tom Hank's new hairdo looks like Bono's now old hairdo.

I'll probably see the movie just because I like Tom Hanks. Maybe I'll read the book if I have time before then.
Who needed a U2 connection?

There ya go!!
Old 05-09-2006, 08:23 AM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

(Reuters)The director of the upcoming religious thriller "The Da Vinci Code" says he sees no need for a disclaimer labeling the film a work of fiction -- provoking a rebuke on Monday from Catholic group Opus Dei.

Filmmaker Ron Howard has acknowledged the controversy renewed by his film of Dan Brown's best-selling novel, which depicts Opus Dei as a shadowy sect at the heart of a murderous conspiracy to conceal dark secrets of the early Christian Church.

But the Oscar-winning director of "A Beautiful Mind" rejected the notion that his latest film should carry a disclaimer -- as requested by Opus Dei -- stating what he said was already obvious.

"This is a work of fiction that presents a set of characters that are affected by these conspiracy theories and ideas," Howard told the Los Angeles Times on Sunday. "Those characters in this work of fiction act and react on that premise. It's not theology. It's not history. To start off with a disclaimer ... spy thrillers don't start off with disclaimers."

Opus Dei, which urged movie distributor Sony Pictures Entertainment in April to consider running a disclaimer, expressed disappointment with Howard's stance.

"A disclaimer could have been a way for Sony to show that the company wants to be fair and respectful in its treatment of Christians and the Catholic Church," Opus Dei's U.S. spokesman Brian Finnerty said on Monday.

The film, which opens May 19, stars Tom Hanks as a Harvard scholar who teams up with a French cryptologist (played by Audrey Tautou) to solve a murder mystery entwined in the works of Leonardo Da Vinci and a supposed alternate history of Christianity.

A central premise of the story is that Jesus sired a child by Mary Magdalene, and that a clandestine society has for centuries protected the identity of their descendants from agents of the Catholic Church.

The Vatican, which considers the story blasphemous, has launched its own public relations offensive against the film.

Archbishop Angelo Amato, the No. 2 official in the doctrinal office headed by Pope Benedict until his election last year, called in April for a boycott of the movie. And the Catholic Church has produced a rebuttal documentary titled "The Da Vinci Code -- A Masterful Deception."

A Sony spokesman last month said the studio sees the film as "a work of fiction" rather than a "religious tract" and believed the film "will delight audiences, not offend them."
Old 05-09-2006, 08:48 AM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

A boycott, eh? I guess I'll have to see it now.

Melon
Old 05-10-2006, 10:55 AM   #40
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
A boycott, eh? I guess I'll have to see it now.

Melon

That's what I've been thinking.

I've read the book (nothing special imo), but had no plans to see the movie...now I might go just out of spite...
Old 05-10-2006, 11:59 AM   #41
War Child

In India, a boycott is not enough...

A Catholic group in India is urging Christians there to **starve themselves to death** in protest at the film release in India.

No, really--I just read it in Yahoo's entertainment section!!!
Old 05-10-2006, 10:27 PM   #42
The Fly

"People like a conspiracy..." Isn't it what is even said in Dan Brown's famous book ? I personaly read it and liked it, even though I appreciated more Angels and Demons because of Vittoria, braver and cooler than our dear Sophie Neveu. This novel tells a lot about the Church. Of course, all of its content isn't necessarly true but the way the Vatican reacted pushed people to believe in the book more I think. Actualy, they OVER reacted. Did they have good reasons to do so ? Who knows... Dan Brown invented nothing, remember - he only used theories already existing and believed by thousands already.

I think that if the Church wouldn't have pointed this novel as an offence, nobody would have noticed it that much. I'm still waiting for the movie to be released. It has potential
Old 05-11-2006, 08:19 AM   #43
War Child

Local Time: 09:52 AM
I see some irony in people protesting this work of fiction for proposing alternate ideas about what is not fact, but a matter of faith. It's all relative.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:12 AM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by susanp6
Well all i can say so far after only reading 10 pages so far is WOW!

To me, so far it is VERY well written&i can usually tell if a book will be any good from the start! Every page i read is totally hugely gripping&i just feel as if it will only continue It doesn't hurt either that i found the Louvre an amazing place&so it will be fascinating to read for that reason and for the historical aspect too, of course!

Will definitely be there to see on day of release
Brown peppered in just enough of the beauty of France, London & Scotland and intrigue of the Da Vinci legend to keep me reading the book! Besides those, the book is on the overrated side.

Have my doubts about Tom Hanks portraying the main character. Would've liked to seen someone like a younger Harrison Ford. Hey, at least it's an interesting movie choice out there - for a change!!
Old 05-11-2006, 10:03 AM   #45
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 08:52 PM
I put my vote in from Viggo Mortensen... mmmmmmmmmm

i hope tom doesnt over shadow the movie...

i am really looking forward to it...last year when i was in paris i thought about it as i went to the lourve etc hehehe

and i think its a really cool story and much better then the other story....i'd rather think of jesus haivng kids then dying and being reborn.... much more interesting!