Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2009, 06:51 PM   #91
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
Any gun can be used to kill, so why single out assault rifles? They look scary, despite statistics showing they're rarely used to kill? Your logic if poor. Any and all firearms should be covered by the 2nd Amendment.
Stop with the "they look scary" tag line, that may work on someone who doesn't know anything about guns, but I know exactly what defines an assault rifle and see no practical use for any law abiding citizen.

Controlling guns is about trying to minimize as many deaths as possible. This is how society works. Safety standards on cars do not evolve to stop all deaths, but to try and minimize the amount of deaths.

Any firearm should be covered by the 2nd amendment? So you want fully automatic M-16s and Bazookas in the arms of civilians? And I have poor logic?

Old 04-09-2009, 07:13 PM   #93
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
Quit hiding behind the "assault" rifle fallacy and man up and admit that you want all guns banned.

Wow, is this how you "debate" you can't answer the question so you fabricate the opposition's stance?

This is ridiculous.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:18 PM   #94
War Child

Local Time: 11:42 PM
I did answer your question. All firearms are covered by the 2nd Amendment.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:29 PM   #95
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Well I was talking about the original question which was what purpose does an Ak-47 or any other assault rifle in a law abiding citizens hands?

All I got was "shit and giggles".

They should have put that in the constitution.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #96
War Child

Does enjoyment sound better? Words are like weapons I guess. No matter how I phrase fun, that's what I mean.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #97
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Johnny can buy a weapon that can take out 50 people just because it's fun, but two women who love each other can't marry, what a fucked up country we live in...
Old 04-09-2009, 10:46 PM   #98
War Child

Yeah what a terrible plight we in the US have.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:00 PM   #99
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Oh, that's right we live in paradise. We are the city on the hill, the one that all envy and want to become, we can do no wrong... our priorities should never be questioned.

I keep forgetting about that American Exceptionalism clause.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:12 AM   #100
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post

I keep forgetting about that American Exceptionalism clause.
It works for nuclear proliferation. Who are we to assume it didn't include guns too?
Old 04-10-2009, 11:03 AM   #101
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:42 PM
Gun control represents trading liberty for security, it may be justified but that's what it is, the right to own a gun is more free than not, ideally we could have lesbian sports shooters.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:06 PM   #102
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

It's too bad those background checks don't measure intelligence or parenting skills.

3-year-old boy fatally shot as parents prepare for Easter egg hunt | WOAI.COM: San Antonio News

No respect for the gun.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:19 PM   #103
War Child

Some should be tested just to breed, let alone have a gun around kids.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:22 PM   #104
Blue Crack Distributor

I watched 20-20 the other night, and the entire show was about guns and gun control in the US. While I realize that they tend to sensationalize things somewhat, if only a fraction of what they reported is true, it's damn frightening.

The most interesting thing to me was this scenario they set up using college aged students. Each of the 6 of them had varying experience with guns and shooting, ranging from none to considerable. In the scenario, they had each of them attend a lecture having to do with guns, while they were each supposedly "armed," their weapons in holsters at their sides, and while they thought they were loaded, they were only loaded with a paintball sort of thing. During the lecture, they had an armed shooter bust into the room and begin aiming his weapon and shooting. Of the six of them, even those with gun experience, several of them couldn't even get their guns out of their holsters. Others shot or nearly shot other innocent lecture attendees (actually, they were law enforcement workers posing as students). Only one of the 6 managed to get a shot off at the shooter, and that was only a glancing shot off his leg that would have been a flesh wound at best.

The moral of the story, obviously, is that in a crisis situation, guns aren't of much help to ordinary citizens, even those with considerable shooting range experience, and, they can actually do a great deal of harm by shooting innocent bystanders. They spoke to many police officers who confirmed this, and they said that they need regular training on a regular basis in order to keep their shooting skills up to par, and to retain muscle memory for quick movement in a crisis situation. It was really interesting, and kind of disturbing at the same time.

The episode can be seen here, if anyone's interested: http://abcnews.go.com/2020
Old 04-13-2009, 10:29 PM   #105
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
I watched 20-20 the other night, and the entire show was about guns and gun control in the US. While I realize that they tend to sensationalize things somewhat, if only a fraction of what they reported is true, it's damn frightening.

The most interesting thing to me was this scenario they set up using college aged students. Each of the 6 of them had varying experience with guns and shooting, ranging from none to considerable. In the scenario, they had each of them attend a lecture having to do with guns, while they were each supposedly "armed," their weapons in holsters at their sides, and while they thought they were loaded, they were only loaded with a paintball sort of thing. During the lecture, they had an armed shooter bust into the room and begin aiming his weapon and shooting. Of the six of them, even those with gun experience, several of them couldn't even get their guns out of their holsters. Others shot or nearly shot other innocent lecture attendees (actually, they were law enforcement workers posing as students). Only one of the 6 managed to get a shot off at the shooter, and that was only a glancing shot off his arm that would have been a flesh wound at best.

The moral of the story, obviously, is that in a crisis situation, guns aren't of much help to ordinary citizens, even those with considerable shooting range experience, and, they can actually do a great deal of harm by shooting innocent bystanders. They spoke to many police officers who confirmed this, and they said that they need regular training on a regular basis in order to keep their shooting skills up to par, and to retain muscle memory for quick movement in a crisis situation. It was really interesting, and kind of disturbing at the same time.

The episode can be seen here, if anyone's interested: Watch '20/20' Friday Nights at 10 p.m. - ABC News

They put an untrained college kid in a classroom and sent in a firearms instructor who knew where the kid was seated. Somewhat obvious outcome if you ask me. They ignore that most mass shooters are untrained as well, and surprise is on the armed victims side.