Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2009, 06:06 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
Seems like a lot of people would feel better if people were slaughtered with knives instead of guns. lol Maybe it feels better to ignore the human factor.
Yeah, I bet all those drive-by knife crimes in inner cities would really go up. You can't go into a classroom full of college students and stab 30-odd people in a matter of seconds. Terrible argument.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:10 PM   #47
War Child

Local Time: 03:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2isthebest View Post
Yeah, I bet all those drive-by knife crimes in inner cities would really go up.
Those guns are legally owned anyway. People seem to forget that criminals don't mind laws.

But yeah, I was referring to the dead families.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Those guns are legally owned anyway. People seem to forget that criminals don't mind laws.

But yeah, I was referring to the dead families.
My point was, it's a lot harder to kill someone, say, with a knife, than it is with a gun. It's a hell of a lot harder to kill multiple people with a knife, a club, etc, than it is with a gun. Of course murder will never disappear completely from our society, but stricter gun control laws will make the murder and/or other violent crime in the U.S. go way down.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:15 PM   #49
Refugee

Quote:
but stricter gun control laws will make the murder and/or other violent crime in the U.S. go way down.
like it has in the virgin islands? or the UK?
Old 04-08-2009, 06:16 PM   #50
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:24 AM
Quote:
Seems like a lot of people would feel better if people were slaughtered with knives instead of guns. lol Maybe it feels better to ignore the human factor.
Wow...
Old 04-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #51
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

With time don't you think the supply of black market guns would diminish? I mean the supply of black market guns right now is supplied by legally made guns, most in the US, if the manufacturing of such guns in the US would cease, don't you think it would be much harder to get access?
Old 04-08-2009, 06:22 PM   #52
War Child

Quote:
My point was, it's a lot harder to kill someone, say, with a knife, than it is with a gun. It's a hell of a lot harder to kill multiple people with a knife, a club, etc, than it is with a gun. Of course murder will never disappear completely from our society, but stricter gun control laws will make the murder and/or other violent crime in the U.S. go way down.
We already have gun control laws. Even if you disarmed the law abiding gun owners the flow of illegal arms into the US from Mexico would allow our gang bangers to plod on. There is a reason that there are still gun crimes in the UK.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:27 PM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
We already have gun control laws. Even if you disarmed the law abiding gun owners the flow of illegal arms into the US from Mexico would allow our gang bangers to plod on. There is a reason that there are still gun crimes in the UK.
I didn't say gun crimes would ever go away. I'm saying strict gun controls laws will make it more difficult for violent people to get their hands on guns, which would make gun crimes diminish. The grand majority of violent crimes in the U.S. are caused by firearms.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #54
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
We already have gun control laws.
Not many at all now that Bush lifted the assault rifle ban...
Old 04-08-2009, 06:35 PM   #55
War Child

Quote:
I didn't say gun crimes would ever go away. I'm saying strict gun controls laws will make it more difficult for violent people to get their hands on guns, which would make gun crimes diminish. The grand majority of violent crimes in the U.S. are caused by firearms.

They're not the root of the crime, it's just ok to fear objects instead of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
Not many at all now that Bush lifted the assault rifle ban...

Great law. Columbine happened before that ban ended. Cho used pistols.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:40 PM   #56
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
They're not the root of the crime, it's just ok to fear objects instead of people.
You're correct in saying that guns aren't the cause of violence. But, yes, it is wise to have a healthy fear and disrespect for guns. To use my prior example a person alone can't kill a room full of people in under 5 minutes. They need a gun (or another weapon of choice) for that. So, yes, I do feel it's absolutely ridiculous for anyone to suggest that we don't need stricter gun control laws (and for the record, stricter laws on personal weapons, in general).
Old 04-08-2009, 06:44 PM   #57
War Child

Quote:
You're correct in saying that guns aren't the cause of violence. But, yes, it is wise to have a healthy fear and disrespect for guns. To use my prior example a person alone can't kill a room full of people in under 5 minutes. They need a gun (or another weapon of choice) for that. So, yes, I do feel it's absolutely ridiculous for anyone to suggest that we don't need stricter gun control laws (and for the record, stricter laws on personal weapons, in general).

That sort of reasoning is why the UK wants to ban long pointy objects.

BBC NEWS | Health | Doctors' kitchen knives ban call

Doctors' kitchen knives ban call
Knife
Doctors say knives are too pointed
A&E doctors are calling for a ban on long pointed kitchen knives to reduce deaths from stabbing.

A team from West Middlesex University Hospital said violent crime is on the increase - and kitchen knives are used in as many as half of all stabbings.

They argued many assaults are committed impulsively, prompted by alcohol and drugs, and a kitchen knife often makes an all too available weapon.

The research is published in the British Medical Journal.

The researchers said there was no reason for long pointed knives to be publicly available at all.

They consulted 10 top chefs from around the UK, and found such knives have little practical value in the kitchen.

None of the chefs felt such knives were essential, since the point of a short blade was just as useful when a sharp end was needed.

The researchers said a short pointed knife may cause a substantial superficial wound if used in an assault - but is unlikely to penetrate to inner organs.

Knife wound
Kitchen knives can inflict appalling wounds

In contrast, a pointed long blade pierces the body like "cutting into a ripe melon".

The use of knives is particularly worrying amongst adolescents, say the researchers, reporting that 24% of 16-year-olds have been shown to carry weapons, primarily knives.

The study found links between easy access to domestic knives and violent assault are long established.

French laws in the 17th century decreed that the tips of table and street knives be ground smooth.

A century later, forks and blunt-ended table knives were introduced in the UK in an effort to reduce injuries during arguments in public eating houses.

The researchers say legislation to ban the sale of long pointed knives would be a key step in the fight against violent crime.

"The Home Office is looking for ways to reduce knife crime.

"We suggest that banning the sale of long pointed knives is a sensible and practical measure that would have this effect."

Government response

Home Office spokesperson said there were already extensive restrictions in place to control the sale and possession of knives.

"The law already prohibits the possession of offensive weapons in a public place, and the possession of knives in public without good reason or lawful authority, with the exception of a folding pocket knife with a blade not exceeding three inches.

"Offensive weapons are defined as any weapon designed or adapted to cause injury, or intended by the person possessing them to do so.

"An individual has to demonstrate that he had good reason to possess a knife, for example for fishing, other sporting purposes or as part of his profession (e.g. a chef) in a public place.

"The manufacture, sale and importation of 17 bladed, pointed and other offensive weapons have been banned, in addition to flick knives and gravity knives."

A spokesperson for the Association of Chief Police Officers said: "ACPO supports any move to reduce the number of knife related incidents, however, it is important to consider the practicalities of enforcing such changes."
Old 04-08-2009, 06:48 PM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

^I find that ridiculous. It doesn't contradict anything I say, though.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:50 PM   #59
War Child

If more legally owned guns were the ones being used in crimes even I might be in support of stricter laws. They aren't though, the numbers don't support that gun laws are failing.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:20 PM   #60
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Great law. Columbine happened before that ban ended. Cho used pistols.
Great examples, now trying giving me one logical example of why a regular law abiding citizen would need any of the following:

Quote:
By former U.S. law the legal term assault weapon included certain specific semi-automatic firearm models by name (e.g., Colt AR-15, TEC-9, all non-automatic AK-47s, and Uzis) and other semi-automatic firearms because they possess a minimum set of features from the following list of features:

A semi-automatic AK-47 rifle.
An Intratec TEC-DC9 with 32-round magazine; a semi-automatic pistol formerly classified as an Assault Weapon under Federal Law.

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Bayonet mount
Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
Grenade launcher (more precisely, a muzzle device which enables the launching or firing of rifle grenades)

Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
Barrel shroud that can be used as a hand-hold
Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
A semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm

Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following:

Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Fixed capacity of more than 5 rounds
Detachable magazine

The only people I can of are people who want to kill many people at a time, or people who are such shitty hunters they don't have any right using a gun. But I would love to hear just one example.