MERGED--> all Gun Control discussion - Page 37 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-08-2009, 08:57 AM   #541
War Child
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Carlisle PA
Posts: 818
Local Time: 02:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
We're comparing deaths.

If you want to compare non-fatal gun injuries then your 254 would go up, but the 7000+ gun-related deaths would also skyrocket.

Therefore I'm not sure how this strengthens your argument at all.

I wasn't really comparing deaths, most homicides occur because of intent. More often than not I'd say a gun used in self defense isn't fired. If it only happens 100,000 times a year instead of 2,000,000 they're still worth having.
__________________

__________________
HyperU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:09 AM   #542
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
More often than not I'd say a gun used in self defense isn't fired.
This is pretty hard to prove don't you think? In fact how do you even determine if this has occured?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
If it only happens 100,000 times a year instead of 2,000,000 they're still worth having.
If it's only one life or 5 lives saved it's still worth not allowing certain guns in the hands of citizens.

^See that logic works both ways.
__________________

__________________
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:13 AM   #543
War Child
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Carlisle PA
Posts: 818
Local Time: 02:29 AM
I know that in the two cases here last year no shots were fired, so I can figure it happened twice a year for every 20,000 people and no shots were ever fired.

I'm all for letting people have the Right to make that decision on their own.
__________________
HyperU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:45 AM   #544
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 01:29 AM
Yes but sometimes that right will infringe on people's right to live.

We can speak in platitudes all day long...
__________________
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:18 AM   #545
Refugee
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,593
Local Time: 03:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn2441 View Post
you know that story hyper posted made me think of another point id like to make.

first off im not directing this at anyone in particular, nor do i know what any of you have been through in life. it's easy to sit on your computer safe and sound having never been a victim of a violent crime to mouth off about how bad guns are and how much they kill people and why people dont need them and lets ban them etc etc. but when the shit hits the fan and it's you in that situation where you, your family or friends are about to be raped and/or killed, i bet you damn sure would wish you had a gun then. or you'd be glad as hell someone else had a gun to try and save your ass.

assaults, rapes, attempted murders, robberies, burglaries, home invasions. how many victims of these types of crimes are there? i wonder how many of them went out and got a gun afterwards. if not that, i wonder how many of them were against firearms before they were a victim, but changed their opinion afterwards and wished they had a gun on them at the time?

dont even bother saying "well that stuff happens so little that your arguement is weak", thats not the point. that stuff DOES happen and it COULD happen to you. and if, god forbid, it ever does, you may find yourself switching your position on firearms.
ill post this again cause only 1 person responded and i seems to have been lost in back pages.
__________________
bigjohn2441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:28 AM   #546
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,338
Local Time: 11:29 PM
It's easy to sit at your computer, safe and sound, having never been a victim of gun violence to mouth off about how guns don't kill people, people kill people. The point is guns DO maim and kill people, and if anyone you love, god forbid, is ever a victim of gun crime, well then, you may find yourself switching your position on firearms.




Is that the response you were hoping for?
__________________
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:45 AM   #547
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn2441 View Post
ill post this again cause only 1 person responded and i seems to have been lost in back pages.
I don't know, it's hard to speculate... I can only speak from my experiences, I have the unfortunate fact that I know quite a few very close friends that have been raped in their lifetime, but I don't know one that took up caring a gun.

I guess the same question could be turned around. How many gun enthusiasts change their stance or get rid of all their guns after their child shoots themselves, or some other accident happens?
__________________
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:01 AM   #548
Refugee
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,593
Local Time: 03:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post


Is that the response you were hoping for?

wow, arent you clever?

no i was looking for something a little more intelligent
__________________
bigjohn2441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:02 AM   #549
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,338
Local Time: 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn2441 View Post
no i was looking for something a little more intelligent
But I used the words you used.

Does that make me as intelligent as you?
__________________
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:04 AM   #550
Refugee
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,593
Local Time: 03:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
But I used the words you used.

Does that make me as intelligent as you?

nope, you are clearly much smarter than me

im not in the mood for this today, so ill be back tomorrow maybe
__________________
bigjohn2441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:06 AM   #551
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,338
Local Time: 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn2441 View Post
nope, you are clearly much smarter than me
That's all you got?


I must be.

Seriously, why was your only response to my post a snide remark about my intelligence?
__________________
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:07 AM   #552
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,338
Local Time: 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn2441 View Post
im not in the mood for this today, so ill be back tomorrow maybe
Not in the mood for a response you asked for? Then why ask for it?
__________________
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:07 AM   #553
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,297
Local Time: 02:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn2441 View Post
ill post this again cause only 1 person responded and i seems to have been lost in back pages.
I lived through a war as a child.

I am staunchly in favour of strong gun regulations.

I think you mistakenly assume that those of us who "lived through things" in life all become paranoid gun-fanatics.
__________________
anitram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:29 AM   #554
War Child
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Carlisle PA
Posts: 818
Local Time: 02:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I lived through a war as a child.

I am staunchly in favour of strong gun regulations.

I think you mistakenly assume that those of us who "lived through things" in life all become paranoid gun-fanatics.
And I've got a friend from there who feels the opposite.
__________________
HyperU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:37 PM   #555
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,297
Local Time: 02:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
And I've got a friend from there who feels the opposite.
Of course, people are not clones of each other.

I just didn't particularly care for that post of yours, it came across as really patronizing and assuming.
__________________

__________________
anitram is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com