Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2009, 03:35 PM   #511
War Child

Local Time: 02:57 AM
BBC NEWS | Health | Woman has first face transplant

Woman has first face transplant
Surgeons operating
The operation lasted several hours
Surgeons in France have carried out the first face transplant, it has been reported.

The woman had lost her nose, lips and chin after being savaged by a dog.

In the controversial operation, tissues, muscles, arteries and veins were taken from a brain-dead donor and attached to the patient's lower face.

Doctors stress the woman will not look like her donor, but nor will she look like she did before the attack - instead she will have a "hybrid" face.

This is the first face transplant using skin from another person
Iain Hutchison, Barts and the London Hospital

Q&A: First face transplant

It has been technically possible to carry out such a transplant for some years, with teams in the US, the UK and France researching the procedure.

Skin from another person's face is better for transplants as it will be a better match than skin from another part of the patient's body, which could have a different texture or colour.

But the ethical concerns of a face transplant, and the psychological impact to the patient of looking different has held teams back.

Concerns relating to immunosuppression, psychological impact and the consequence of technical failure have so far prevented ethical approval of the procedure in the UK, though doctors here are fully able to perform transplants.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:44 PM   #512
Refugee

YouTube - William Shatner Demonstrates Proper Gun Control

Old 05-06-2009, 03:57 PM   #513
Blue Crack Supplier

in France, it's a dog attack.

in the US, it's a shotgun blast.

telling.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:04 PM   #514
Refugee

Local Time: 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post

telling.
why dont you move to france if you hate the US so much?

sorry couldnt resist!

just remembering a few years back during our little "hate france cause they dont support iraq" period where people actually said shit like that and meant it.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:14 PM   #515
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn2441 View Post
why dont you move to france if you hate the US so much?

sorry couldnt resist!

just remembering a few years back during our little "hate france cause they dont support iraq" period where people actually said shit like that and meant it.

i love and hate both places with equal ardor.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:47 PM   #516
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
One of those things that never happens happened again.

I hope the girl makes it.

It will be interesting to see if anymore details about this story comes out. It's a very odd story.

I'm really not sure if this is a pro-gun story or not, they are pretty elusive about where this student got the gun. The video just says one student encouraged another to make a move for a gun that was in a backpack nearby. Was this the student's gun or a back the masked men brought in? We'll see.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:27 PM   #517
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post

telling.
Un chien est un outil, Irvine; pas meilleur et pas plus mauvais que tout autre outil. Souvenez-vous de cela.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:54 PM   #518
Blue Crack Supplier

j'ai fait des réserves à un restaurant français pour ce vendredi pour quatre personnes, et le maitre d repris le téléphone et parle en français, et j'ai pensé un moment à essayer de parler en français, mais il ne devait pas être.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:54 PM   #519
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:57 AM
Bonne idée. Sans aucun doute, votre téléphone est déjà mis sur écoute.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:12 PM   #520
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
One of those things that never happens happened again.

I've never suggested that such things "NEVER" happen. I've simply said they don't happen as often as the gunslingers would like to think.

tell you what, if you can provide me stats that indicate that such incidences as you posted above are more common than accidental gun deaths and "arguments that went wrong" I will happily concede my stand on strict gun control and fully support a heavily armed, law-abiding U.S. population.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:12 AM   #521
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
I've never suggested that such things "NEVER" happen. I've simply said they don't happen as often as the gunslingers would like to think.

tell you what, if you can provide me stats that indicate that such incidences as you posted above are more common than accidental gun deaths and "arguments that went wrong" I will happily concede my stand on strict gun control and fully support a heavily armed, law-abiding U.S. population.

While they don't often involve a fatal shooting, I'd be more than willing to bet that guns being used to scare off invaders happens way more than accidental gun deaths. As far as arguments going wrong, I've seen a lot of cases like that where we may want to consider a ban on keeping knives in the house.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:52 AM   #522
Refugee

Local Time: 03:57 AM
you know that story hyper posted made me think of another point id like to make.

first off im not directing this at anyone in particular, nor do i know what any of you have been through in life. it's easy to sit on your computer safe and sound having never been a victim of a violent crime to mouth off about how bad guns are and how much they kill people and why people dont need them and lets ban them etc etc. but when the shit hits the fan and it's you in that situation where you, your family or friends are about to be raped and/or killed, i bet you damn sure would wish you had a gun then. or you'd be glad as hell someone else had a gun to try and save your ass.

assaults, rapes, attempted murders, robberies, burglaries, home invasions. how many victims of these types of crimes are there? i wonder how many of them went out and got a gun afterwards. if not that, i wonder how many of them were against firearms before they were a victim, but changed their opinion afterwards and wished they had a gun on them at the time?

dont even bother saying "well that stuff happens so little that your arguement is weak", thats not the point. that stuff DOES happen and it COULD happen to you. and if, god forbid, it ever does, you may find yourself switching your position on firearms.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:02 AM   #523
War Child

I'd much rather have a gun I'll never need than not have a gun when I need it.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:08 AM   #524
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
While they don't often involve a fatal shooting, I'd be more than willing to bet that guns being used to scare off invaders happens way more than accidental gun deaths. As far as arguments going wrong, I've seen a lot of cases like that where we may want to consider a ban on keeping knives in the house.
If you can provide solid evidence that the benefits outweigh the costs, I have no problem changing my position. I'll even accept "scare-offs." But you're willingness to bet isn't sufficient. We've discussed the number of lives lost to guns, what about the number of lives saved. As for banning knives, I think we'd all have a great deal of difficulty cutting our tomatoes if they were banned. Knives have other uses besides killing things.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:20 AM   #525
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn2441 View Post
you know that story hyper posted made me think of another point id like to make.

first off im not directing this at anyone in particular, nor do i know what any of you have been through in life. it's easy to sit on your computer safe and sound having never been a victim of a violent crime to mouth off about how bad guns are and how much they kill people and why people dont need them and lets ban them etc etc. but when the shit hits the fan and it's you in that situation where you, your family or friends are about to be raped and/or killed, i bet you damn sure would wish you had a gun then. or you'd be glad as hell someone else had a gun to try and save your ass.

assaults, rapes, attempted murders, robberies, burglaries, home invasions. how many victims of these types of crimes are there? i wonder how many of them went out and got a gun afterwards. if not that, i wonder how many of them were against firearms before they were a victim, but changed their opinion afterwards and wished they had a gun on them at the time?

dont even bother saying "well that stuff happens so little that your arguement is weak", thats not the point. that stuff DOES happen and it COULD happen to you. and if, god forbid, it ever does, you may find yourself switching your position on firearms.
This does give one pause.

If I'm being honest, I'm not sure how I'd feel if something like that happened to me or the people I love. I tend to think you're right. . .that I'd prefer to have a gun in such a situation rather than not. But that's not enough to make me think that lax gun control laws are the way to go. I'm not basing my position on raw emotion, no matter how justified. And that's really what you're talking about. A victims decision to go out and purchase a gun or to wish they'd had one on them isn't necessarily rational thinking. There's lot of trauma, hurt, fear etc motivating that decision--and I'm not critcizing that, nor am I unsympathetic. But the fact is said victim is not necessarily making themselves safer in actuality--they are making themselves FEEL safer.

Of course this easy to say now, when I'm safe and all is well--I get that. I guess I'm suggesting that just because something is easy to say doesn't mean it's not true.