MERGED--> all Gun Control discussion - Page 26 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2009, 05:41 AM   #376
War Child

Local Time: 01:23 AM
If they're not a threat, what's the big deal? Yeah, for now. My pesky little Constitutional Right that you hope to do away with?

Old 05-02-2009, 10:14 AM   #377
Refugee

Local Time: 02:23 AM
do you know how hard it is to get your hands on an "assault weapon", that is a true full-automatic rifle LEGALLY?

as it is it's pretty hard for your average asshole citizen to try and walk into a store and buy one. i believe the weapon has to be made before around 1985 or something. next, you have to have your local sheriff or LEO chief approve your request. you have to provide paperwork and have to prove a need to have the gun. also, you have to pay a few hundred dollar fee and fill out all kinds of paper work to ATF and they have to approve it. then you have to get it transferred to you by a class III dealer.

at least thats the way it is in PA, one of the most leniant states on guns.

i have to argee that there isnt any practical reason for having a full-automatic rifle / sub-machinegun whatever, other than the fact that they are fun as hell to shoot.

they'll be good when the zombies come though

Old 05-02-2009, 10:41 AM   #378
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
My pesky little Constitutional Right that you hope to do away with?
A state reserves the right to put limits on your constitutional rights so long as they are justifiable in a free and democratic society. This is one of the underpinnings of constitutional law yet you and a lot of others behave as if it doesn't exist.

The state limits our constitutional rights in a hundred different ways on a daily basis.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #379
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
If they're not a threat, what's the big deal? Yeah, for now. My pesky little Constitutional Right that you hope to do away with?
You still don't get it...
Old 05-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #380
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn2441 View Post
do you know how hard it is to get your hands on an "assault weapon", that is a true full-automatic rifle LEGALLY?

as it is it's pretty hard for your average asshole citizen to try and walk into a store and buy one. i believe the weapon has to be made before around 1985 or something. next, you have to have your local sheriff or LEO chief approve your request. you have to provide paperwork and have to prove a need to have the gun. also, you have to pay a few hundred dollar fee and fill out all kinds of paper work to ATF and they have to approve it. then you have to get it transferred to you by a class III dealer.

at least thats the way it is in PA, one of the most leniant states on guns.

i have to argee that there isnt any practical reason for having a full-automatic rifle / sub-machinegun whatever, other than the fact that they are fun as hell to shoot.

they'll be good when the zombies come though
There are a lot of other factors that define an assault rifle other than fully automatic, and it's not very difficult to buy one here at all...
Old 05-02-2009, 03:05 PM   #381
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
There are a lot of other factors that define an assault rifle other than fully automatic, and it's not very difficult to buy one here at all...
And you still don't get that they're not as big a threat as you fear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
A state reserves the right to put limits on your constitutional rights so long as they are justifiable in a free and democratic society. This is one of the underpinnings of constitutional law yet you and a lot of others behave as if it doesn't exist.

The state limits our constitutional rights in a hundred different ways on a daily basis.

I do wish they'd get rid of that pesky thing called Religion.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #382
Refugee

Quote:

ok then, what is your definition of an "assault rifle", other than ones that are full-auto?

i was under the impression that "assault rifles" were only ones that had the capability to fire full-auto, like military rifles.

some interesting statistics on "assault weapons":

http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcassaul.html
Old 05-02-2009, 03:22 PM   #383
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
ok then, what is your definition of an "assault rifle", other than ones that are full-auto?

i was under the impression that "assault rifles" were only ones that had the capability to fire full-auto, like military rifles.
No there is a list that defines what an assault rifle is according to the now defunct ban, I posted it earlier in this thread. And oddly enough I never got an answer to why any law abiding citizen would need any of these things.

Oh, except for "shits and giggles".

Quote:
By former U.S. law the legal term assault weapon included certain specific semi-automatic firearm models by name (e.g., Colt AR-15, TEC-9, all non-automatic AK-47s, and Uzis) and other semi-automatic firearms because they possess a minimum set of features from the following list of features:

A semi-automatic AK-47 rifle.
An Intratec TEC-DC9 with 32-round magazine; a semi-automatic pistol formerly classified as an Assault Weapon under Federal Law.

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Bayonet mount
Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
Grenade launcher (more precisely, a muzzle device which enables the launching or firing of rifle grenades)

Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
Barrel shroud that can be used as a hand-hold
Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
A semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm

Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following:

Pistol grip
Fixed capacity of more than 5 rounds
Detachable magazine
Old 05-02-2009, 03:29 PM   #384
Refugee

so by that definition a firearm is determined to be an assault weapon based on the way it looks and the different accessories it could have, and NOTHING to do with magazine capacity or caliber of the bullet, which i would think would be the more important factor.

interesting.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:35 PM   #385
War Child

Yeah, that which looks scary should be banned. Despite statistics stating otherwise.

On a side note I just got home from an amazing gun show. Most of you would have shit your pants.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:49 PM   #386
Refugee

yup, im sitting here at work right now with my "assault weapon" pistol on my hip.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:56 PM   #387
War Child

Weapons don't assault, criminals do.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:56 PM   #388
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Semi-automatic assault weapons are pretty easy to get ahold of though, right? At least that's been my experience.

Quote:
This is true.

You guys are so funny, you assume that anyone who supports stricter gun control laws must be some weepy liberals who can't understand the pure joy of shooting the hell out of your 11th grade Spanish textbook with a semi-auto AR-15 at the range in the backwoods of Florida.

I spent a lot of time around guns in high school and have shot just about every kind of gun you can imagine. One of my friends was a big gun enthusiast and was always adding a new toy to his collection. We used to out to to this place in North Florida and shoot at targets--cans and such of course, but also his ex-girlfriend's teddy bear and the aforementioned Spanish book. And yes it was fun. And yes, I'd still enjoy it today. But I STILL believe that highly restricted access to guns (especially handguns) is better for our country and does not contradict the spirit of the 2nd Amendment. Some of this has to do with some of the experiences I had with my friends--all good people who were always pretty careful in their handling of guns. These guys were not criminals in the least. But my buddy almost became one when he nearly shot some guys at a party because he thought (wrongly) that they had raped his girlfriend. And that's not the only time that me or friends of mine came close do doing real, irreparable damage with guns.

Let's face it, one of the things that make guns so fun is the sense of power they give you. And when you have a cowboy mentality on top of that, that becomes inordinately risky in my opinion.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:53 AM   #389
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
so by that definition a firearm is determined to be an assault weapon based on the way it looks
What on that list is defined by looks?

Quote:
and the different accessories it could have, and NOTHING to do with magazine capacity or caliber of the bullet, which i would think would be the more important factor.
Did you read the list? Magazine capacity is definately part of the definition.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:48 AM   #390
War Child

Quote:
What on that list is defined by looks?

Pistol grip
Bayonet mount
Flash suppressor