MERGED--> all Gun Control discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MATE
I payed for my degree. I'm now doing a Masters which i funded myself, by working and saving.

My family is not rich. I'd say I am lower middle class now (however you define it) but my grandparents worked in factories when they first arrived, facing racial abuse. My mum worked permanent nights in a factory which she hated and it had massive impact on her health, but she had to do it to pay the bills. My dad has no qualiifcations but he has woked for the last 35 years. Me and my bro are the first to go to uni in our entire family.

No handouts in my family (thats why i hate Labour, they help undeserving chavs) When i was at school (16-18), i applied for £30 a week grant for students. I was told i dont fit into the threshold.
Instead all the dumb ass kids who got no qualifications were rewarded with £30 a week to turn up to school. It takes the piss. £30 a week, if saved, would have helped at uni. I owe no one anything and have no intention of helping others.

I am from a family of immigrants. I am British born and think that despite its problems (chavs), the UK is one of the greatest places to live in the world. I live in the arsehole of Britian, the West Midlands. I went to a shitty school where attainment levels are low. No one else in the 65 year history of my school went to a uni ranked as high as mine or got my grades.

I am 100% British and always will be no matter what anyone else tells me. But to say i'd die for my country, no chance.

I love Britain. It has given me a great standard of living. I've been to other places and thought 'living in uk is like winning the lottery'

I look down on certain people as i despise how they behave. They beg in the street at 2pm, drunk, asking for 20p. Not my duty to help them. When i walk past and ignore them, i get greeted with the response 'fucking arab shit'
Then there is the kids who know no boundaries, why should i respect them?

I wouldnt fight for UK as i dont want to get hurt. Simple as that.

What i said about most people not being fully evolved i take back. It's probably only 25%. But 25% too many

It's funny, people will criticize your post (hating their own hypocrisy, perhaps) but this is one of the most honest posts I've seen here.

I agree with you about New Labour, they have f***ed Britain. I despise everything New Labour stands for.

So these gun-toters shouldn't be considered true Christians?

That's for Christ to figure out.

But given his text, I would think most would realize Christ knew no borders therefore the celebration(and making political statement) of a man-made American law within a church should be questionable, that pridefully wearing a weapon of death should be questionable(for even history shows us that at times when weapons were worn regularly they were removed for worship), there just is no Biblical precedent that can justify such a moronic move.

Be ashamed, be very ashamed...

It's funny, people will criticize your post (hating their own hypocrisy, perhaps) but this is one of the most honest posts I've seen here.

I agree with you, and I do respect that honesty.

I just find the attitude to be unfortunate, is all. :shrug:

MATE
I payed for my degree. I'm now doing a Masters which i funded myself, by working and saving.

My family is not rich. I'd say I am lower middle class now (however you define it) but my grandparents worked in factories when they first arrived, facing racial abuse. My mum worked permanent nights in a factory which she hated and it had massive impact on her health, but she had to do it to pay the bills. My dad has no qualiifcations but he has woked for the last 35 years. Me and my bro are the first to go to uni in our entire family.

No handouts in my family (thats why i hate Labour, they help undeserving chavs) When i was at school (16-18), i applied for £30 a week grant for students. I was told i dont fit into the threshold.
Instead all the dumb ass kids who got no qualifications were rewarded with £30 a week to turn up to school. It takes the piss. £30 a week, if saved, would have helped at uni. I owe no one anything and have no intention of helping others.

I am from a family of immigrants. I am British born and think that despite its problems (chavs), the UK is one of the greatest places to live in the world. I live in the arsehole of Britian, the West Midlands. I went to a shitty school where attainment levels are low. No one else in the 65 year history of my school went to a uni ranked as high as mine or got my grades.

I am 100% British and always will be no matter what anyone else tells me. But to say i'd die for my country, no chance.

I love Britain. It has given me a great standard of living. I've been to other places and thought 'living in uk is like winning the lottery'

I look down on certain people as i despise how they behave. They beg in the street at 2pm, drunk, asking for 20p. Not my duty to help them. When i walk past and ignore them, i get greeted with the response 'fucking arab shit'
Then there is the kids who know no boundaries, why should i respect them?

I wouldnt fight for UK as i dont want to get hurt. Simple as that.

What i said about most people not being fully evolved i take back. It's probably only 25%. But 25% too many

Very honest post. In fact, so honest and direct that I am struggling to find the right words to respond. Gave me more inward thought than probably anything I've read here before. Our backgrounds sound very similar including family experience (except I've never drawn fire for what someone perceived as my ethnic background). I also paid for my own education, working several smelly jobs along the way to make it happen. I really resented others (through no fault of their own) just had more given to them and had a lot more fun along the way. I finished up over $80,000 (plus plenty of interest) in debt and spent several more years paying that back. That was money I could have had a good old time with. I'm better off now, and my goal now (ironically) is to have my children's educational experience to be more like that of those who I spent my time resenting in the past.

As a result of those experiences (described above), for a long time my outlook on the world was very solitary and "every man for himself". Like you, I had absolutely no patience for anyone who did not seem to have the self-respect to pull themselves together and overcome any situation that faced them (especially someone who had certain advantages to begin with). Back then, to me, absolutely no one was lower on the evolutionary scale (and irritated me more) than the faux-hippie student drug users (in the 1990's) whose families were paying for everything.

These days, for reasons I have not really examined, I am much more liberal in my outlook on the world. I wonder, however, if my liberal outlook now is perhaps really just a superiority complex of my own in disguise. That is, if I could overcome "barriers", why do I think that anyone else could not do the same? I don't know. I just know that life is great, but it is also hard work. I give room to the idea that not everyone wants to try so hard all of the time. I don't usually quote the Bible, but I often am reminded that Jesus said, "The poor you will always have with you". That is obviously true (for whatever reasons God has ordered them). So, maybe that is why I don't apply my "every man for himself" doctrine so much anymore.

This is more than I've ever said about myself on the internet. As a rule I don't share personal information with strangers on the internet, and I'll probably regret it a few seconds after I click "submit reply". But I figure I owe it since I provoked you into giving such a personal reply. Peace.

a strange thing happened to me last right. Around 2 am a loud noise woke me up, which has almost never happened before. I couldnt tell what it really was, but it sounded like it was right outside on my porch. I snapped right awake and just listened. about 5-10 seconds later i heard it again around the other side of my porch, by my front door. It couldnt tell what the hell it was but it sounded like something snapping or something hitting something. After the 1st one my landlord's dogs started barking like crazy. I grabbed my duty pistol right off the dresser next to my bed and started peeking through the window shades to see if there was someone out there. there wasnt. my porch is L shaped with a little waist-high gate at the entrance, which was still closed and most of the porch is about 5-8 feet off the ground. the dogs stopped barking after about 20 seconds after the 2nd noise. i still cant figure out what the noise was, cause it was too loud and too odd for 2 in the morning to be normal nighttime sounds.

so for all the people who think we shouldnt have guns for personal protection, i ask you this:

what if there was someone out there trying to brake in? I know what i would do, as soon as they broke through the door, i'd have "neutralized" them. since i have the gun, what would you all have me do? not use it? obviously someone trying to break into my apartment at 2am isnt just stopping in to say hello. and what if i didnt have the gun? what should i do then? call the police? i would be lucky if they showed up in an hour, if at all. i live on the west side of the island which is pretty desolate and isolated. since i live alone, what would you have me do in that situation, with or without the gun?

People would kill people they disliked as soon as they walked onto their property
and then say they were going to break in

so for all the people who think we shouldnt have guns for personal protection, i ask you this:

what if there was someone out there trying to brake in? I know what i would do, as soon as they broke through the door, i'd have "neutralized" them. since i have the gun, what would you all have me do? not use it? obviously someone trying to break into my apartment at 2am isnt just stopping in to say hello. and what if i didnt have the gun? what should i do then? call the police? i would be lucky if they showed up in an hour, if at all. i live on the west side of the island which is pretty desolate and isolated. since i live alone, what would you have me do in that situation, with or without the gun?

I'll answer you with your type of logic. The percentage of break ins while someone is home, is small. Locks, police, baseball bats all come to mind.

What if you hadn't woken up and someone actually did break in and grabbed the gun off your nightstand?

What would you do if you had kids, still keep the gun on the nightstand?

We can play "what if's" all day long.

cant get a straight answer on here can i?

and my bedroom door was also locked, so i think i'd wake up before they could break through both doors. and the windows have bars on them.

if i had kids, which i dont and i said i live alone, of course i wouldnt keep it out in the open like that, that's common sense.

so my doors are locked, im sure NOBODY could get through that. and if they do i call the police which wont come in time, or use the baseball bat which i dont have and hope they dont have a gun.

breakins in the VI are a lot more common than the states, btw. why do you think my landlord has bars on the windows and 3 dogs chained in the yard?

You didn't ask a straight forward question, did you?

yes i did

what should i do in that situation if i have a gun?

what should i do in that situation if i dont have a gun?

and i've already said the police wont get there in time.

im talking about MY situation alone, if there was someone trying to break in, which there could have been someone sneaking around out there and then ran off, i dont know.

and i've already said the police wont get there in time.
How do you know your timeline? A good alarm or lock system will either scare away or deter them for awhile, you can't be for certain they wouldn't make it in time.

im just curious as to how people against guns would handle something like that, or what they think they'd do IF they had a gun.
Already answered that.

i just dont see how "the chances are so small" arguement has anything to do with anything. explain it.

You and hyper used that excuse any chance you could get. Just scan back...

How do you know your timeline? A good alarm or lock system will either scare away or deter them for awhile, you can't be for certain they wouldn't make it in time.

cause the nearest police station is about 20 minutes away and they dont really patrol my area very much. i dont have an alarm system, thats waaay too much advanced techology for the VI :lol:

im lucky if my phone works half the time

and my bedroom door was also locked, so i think i'd wake up before they could break through both doors. and the windows have bars on them.
Unless you were like my girlfriend who can sleep through anything if she takes her sleeping pill...:lol:

if i had kids, which i dont and i said i live alone, of course i wouldnt keep it out in the open like that, that's common sense.
You say it's common sense, but it happens more than you are probably willing to admit. I think my point is that you always hear these gun owners talk about how they are safe they keep the guns locked up or what not, but then what's the point if the scenario is like this?

so my doors are locked, im sure NOBODY could get through that. and if they do i call the police which wont come in time, or use the baseball bat which i dont have and hope they dont have a gun.
No, you don't wait till they come in to call. Well I would hope you hope they don't have a gun in any occassion.

it's actually a very nice place, it's just that in the VI breakins are a lot more common anywhere on the island.

i guess im saying if someone broke in, id be glad i had a gun, as opposed to not having one, and wouldnt hesitate to use it. i certainly wouldnt enjoy shooting someone, but if it's them or me, it's gonna be me.

I would actually shit myself if someone broke in again if i was in...

When i was at uni a guy broke in and i was in. It was about 11pm and i was revising for an exam i had 2 days later. I heard a door creak and i knew the girl in that room was away for the weekend. I came out and he had a laptop in his hand. I always though i would charge at someone/hit them if i saw anyone in my house, but i didnt have a clue what to do and my heart was racing. We were both upstairs and i dragged him down the stairs into the street and was hoping someone would come out and help me as i'm no Mike Tyson. He knocked my specs off so i could see properly as we scuffled, smacking into parked cars. I had him against the wall but then he put his hand in his pocket so i let him go as i thought he was gonna stab me. They caught him a few days later.

I had no idea what the hell i was doing and i'd never punched anyone until that day. He got 18 months in the end as i knocked his cap off and they got DNA off that and one of the neighbours who came out into the street identified him. He was a regular offender and as i lived in a student area, he had taken laptops from other houses before. I failed to recognise the guy as i could not see clearly AND the pics the police gave were all clean shaven guys when this guy had a beard on him. So i was like WTF? At least have him look how he was on the night!

Not a nice experience. If only i had my cricket bat near me i would have smacked him in the face. From now on i keep the bat near me when sleeping. Thats why i am so right wing as MOST people in this world are bad apples.

:yikes:

if you had a gun would you have used it? now after the fact you might say no, but in the heat of the moment, you never know. it might've turned into a deadly situation if the guy pulled a weapon on you.

smacking someone in the face with a baseball bat might produce the same result.

obviously thats not really a life or death situation, as he was just there to steal shit. you might have a hard time justifying blowing someone away for stealing a computer. :lol: but late at night and your door crashes open, all you know is someone is breaking in, you dont know what their intentions are, to simply steal, or to rape or murder, or both.

thats another thing, you go to confront them unarmed and they pull a knife or a gun. not a very good situation.

I dont think i would be able to shoot someone. I'd panick and would not be able to press the trigger lol

But i was so angry for about 2 weeks and then thought, oh forget it, shit happens. This was about 2 years ago now

You don't have to shoot them, it's just nice to have one to show them and encourage them to leave.

i'd never pull my piece unless i was going to use it. you pull it out and start flashing it around at them and they pull one and next thing you know you have a gunfight.

or you pull it out and they say "fuck you shoot me" then what? still not really justified.

but yeah, most of the time it'll make them piss themselves and run away.

It wouldn't be out with the intent of not using it, the situation just usually resolves before you have to. If they have one it's not likely to be concealed when they come through the door.

i meant on the street if im CCing. if im in a situation where it has to come out, it's coming out blasting, not for show.

at home, thats a different story and you can use them to scare people off. shit, you could walk around with a shotgun slung on your back and a .44 mag stuffed down the front of your pants.

Yeah I meant at home. On the street I'd hope that if I had to pull it that would be enough too. I'd rather have them get scared off than have to shoot.

I wouldnt kill them with a bat
just knock them out
i'd kick them in the balls to disable them for a bit

so violent! :wink:

so beating the shit out of people with bats is ok, but guns are the anti-christ?

and you know the exact force needed for the bat to just knock them out, as opposed to bashing their brains out? you that skilled at beating the shit out of people with bats? :lol:

cricket bats dont kill people, rappers do

(joke)

you can hit a ball for 4 with a cricket bat, cant do the same with guns so they are pretty useless

Please explain what you mean by "neutralize." If by neutralize you mean explain (and show) to the robber that you have a gun, are highly trained in its use and that they'd better comply while you call the cops and/or cuff them, then yes, by all means, use it to "neutralize" the intruder.

If by neutralize you mean shoot first, ask questions later, then no.

Back
Top Bottom