MERGED--> all Gun Control discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If the majority wanted both parties out they would have voted that way...

and this is my point that people are ignorant to what is going on. i bet a lot of people dont even know about 3rd parties, or even that they can write in someone for their vote.

all they are fed is MCCAIN or OBAMA in the media. and if you dont vote for one of them, it's like you are some kind of wierdo.

"who'd you vote for?"

"ron paul'

"WHO?!?!?"

and this is my point that people are ignorant to what is going on. i bet a lot of people dont even know about 3rd parties, or even that they can write in someone for their vote.
We're getting way off the subject here, but I refuse to believe that people are anymore ignorant now than they were a hundred years ago, and honestly you have very little to go by except a gut feeling that people were more informed "back then".

I think you are shooting yourself in the foot(pun intended :wink:) you argue that people are less informed and ignorant now, but that they should arm themselves in order to one day be prepared to overthow the government. I don't want uninformed ignorant people armed, those are the last people I want armed. If some of the militia types spent as much time arming themselves with real knowledge instead of proganda and guns we'd have a whole new demographic of voters and possibly a stronger 3rd party.

I think you are shooting yourself in the foot(pun intended :wink:) you argue that people are less informed and ignorant now, but that they should arm themselves in order to one day be prepared to overthow the government. I don't want uninformed ignorant people armed, those are the last people I want armed.

i never said i wanted that :no:

first they have to get informed :wink: :lol:

If some of the militia types spent as much time arming themselves with real knowledge instead of proganda and guns we'd have a whole new demographic of voters and possibly a stronger 3rd party.

:up: see, we do agree :D

The current conversation reminds me of this passage from "Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)":

"Accept certain inalienable truths, prices will rise, politicians will philander, you too will get old, and when you do you'll fantasize that when you were young prices were reasonable, politicians were noble and children respected their elders."

A very poorly written "article". And she really shoots herself in the foot at the end when she points out the fact that some law abiding legal gun owners are stupid and irresponsible.

here's a local story from my hometown and a nearby college. another prime example of how the media loves to use this bullshit "assault weapon" language.

"he had 9 guns -- INCLUDING AN ASSAULT RIFLE---" :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

if he only had 8 handguns, well that would be okay. but an ASSAULT RIFLE?!?!?! wow, that makes it REALLY bad :rolleyes:

probably a semi-auto copy you can buy at your local gun store, as we discussed earlier

IUP Grad, Monroeville Man Among Suspects In Campus Drug Ring - Pittsburgh News Story - WTAE Pittsburgh

makes me sick :yuck:

also makes me sick that these dudes are fucked for life, all for selling a little weed, which is becoming practically legal in some places.

Well it wasn't exactly a little weed...

And how do you know it's the media that embelished? If they got the report from the police of what was confiscated and the police used the term 'assault rifle' then it probably fits under the definition of 'assault rifle'. You don't really know...

I wanted to surround my home with Claymore mines and mount .50cal machine gun in four separate turrets on my roof. They would not let me do it. Likewise, my efforts to purchase and mount a rocket launching, flame-throwing Howitzer on the confines of my own front lawn were similarly thwarted by constitution-hating bureaucrats. Who are these people, and what makes them think they have the power to infringe upon my rights to keep and bear arms? Where does this end? Mark my words, they take our grenade launchers today, and tomorrow we'll be trying to cut our steak with plastic sporks.

I wanted to surround my home with Claymore mines and mount .50cal machine gun in four separate turrets on my roof. They would not let me do it. Likewise, my efforts to purchase and mount a rocket launching, flame-throwing Howitzer on the confines of my own front lawn were similarly thwarted by constitution-hating bureaucrats. Who are these people, and what makes them think they have the power to infringe upon my rights to keep and bear arms? Where does this end? Mark my words, they take our grenade launchers today, and tomorrow we'll be trying to cut our steak with plastic sporks.

You can do most of that. ;)

I note your "Location" as "Carlisle, PA". Home of the U.S. Army War College is it not? Plenty of firepower there I'll bet. Of course, it's all in the government's hands. You see, it's started already. Right in your own home town.

Joking by the way.

Seriously though, guns in your rural part of the state is a very different issue than in the other side of your state (Philadelphia). If our founding fathers (remember they were mostly aristocrats) spent one week in 2009 Philly [where they inked the Declaration of Independence and U.S. Constitution (along with the 2nd Amendment)] they would take their time machine back to the 1700's and make sure that only "certain people" have guns (namely aristocrat land owners). They would be appalled at what they had wrought. I seriously doubt that where we are now was their "legislative intent".

Yeah it's hard to say why city folks love to slaughter each other, but to give up all guns because of them doesn't make much sense either. Maybe someday gang killings won't be cool anymore.

I don't mean that the 2nd Amendment should be repealed and people should turn in their guns. I don't know what the answer is really. Most families I knew growing up were hunters, and the first day of deer season was practically a sacrament. But when you live in the Philadelphia area (like I do now) and watch the body count (including small children killed by stray bullets) in Philadelphia/Camden every night on "Action News", you can't help but wonder if there is a better way (or at least some sort of constitutional compromise). -- By the way, after typing that phrase "constitutional compromise" I realize how much I don't like it).

It's all unfortunate and stressful (and tragic for some), but this gun issue may be just another of the "growing pains" in the history of the United States. In the end, I am confident that our country will be safer and just as free some day in the near future. We'll sort it out.

Its funny how the USA preches to the rest of the world about their values and peace etc
When they are messed themselves

Any country which allows people with no brains (rednecks) to have guns is clearly 3rd world

Luxemberg
Leictenstein
San Marino
Andorra

Apologies for my last post, it wasnt very Pope like of me
I just find it crazy how they let people have guns. Let the police have the, ban everyone else.

Well it wasn't exactly a little weed...

And how do you know it's the media that embelished? If they got the report from the police of what was confiscated and the police used the term 'assault rifle' then it probably fits under the definition of 'assault rifle'. You don't really know...

please, i think a police report would be a little more detailed than simply "assault rifle". even if they did report that term to the media, then it shows those cops also dont know what they are talking about. just becuase police or lawmakers use the term, doesnt mean it is correct. but like you said, we dont know either way.

and why single out the "assault rifle" from the other 8 guns, with double hyphens no less, for any other reason to make it more embelished?

i find it hard to believe that a punk kid could get his hands on a TRUE "assault rifle" legally, and if he did get one illegally, he would have been charged for illegal firearms, which he wasnt so the dreaded "assault rifle" was probably something he picked up at Dunham's or someplace.

*EDIT* i mean after all, this IS the indiana borough police department we are talking about. the only purpose they serve is to write underage drinking tickets and fuck the students out of money. how would they know what a true assault rifle is?

and why single out the "assault rifle" from the other 8 guns, with double hyphens no less, for any other reason to make it more embelished?
I think singling it out(even if it wasn't a true assault rifle by your definition) shows a certain level of intent or "legitimacy". It shows that this wasn't some suburban kid that just happen to come into some extra weed and sell it at a party. I'd be willing to bet that psychology would show that a person owning a handgun vs an assault rifle that the person owning the assault rifle is more willing to use it.

i find it hard to believe that a punk kid could get his hands on a TRUE "assault rifle" legally,
Why couldn't he? Are there any stipulations against "punk" kids? Unless he had priors that prohibit him, why couldn't he?

Why couldn't he? Are there any stipulations against "punk" kids? Unless he had priors that prohibit him, why couldn't he?

well i've explained the PA process for obtaining those types of guns legally already.

i seriously doubt a drug dealer is going to, or even could for that matter, go through all that and draw the attention of local and federal LE agencies. and i think he'd have a hard time explaining to the local sheriff why he needs a full-auto firearm. :lol:

right, totalitarian leaders love this idea.

and ban the criminals from having them also...oh wait they already dont give a shit about laws.

Anyone caught with a gun loses their human rights and should be used for medical testing

I'd prefer the cops to have tazers but if they have to shoot someone to protect the majority of normal, law abiding folk then so be it

There has to be some discipline from somewhere if these criminal have been failed by their parents
Cant blame everything on society all the time

Mad Forlt, I don't know where you live, but the utopian world you seek just has not arrived yet. The redneck and ignorant (yet preachy) USA is still trying to find a balance between certain constitutional freedoms granted to their citizenry and the obvious problems presented when those freedoms are abused. In the meantime, it is a much too dangerous place for the faint-hearted to visit. Instead, I would suggest perhaps North Korea. The people there are reportedly extremely law-abiding, and only the police are permitted to have guns (thus living proof of your theory).

Before you go, will you please identify your present home country. I would like to ridicule it as you so expertly did mine. I am always amazed how especially Europeans really enjoy mocking Americans right to their face. I can think of several examples when I have spoken to Europeans (while I was a guest in their country) and they had the good manners to mock everything about my country. Classy.

I am from the England, quickly spiralling to your levels on all fronts. Getting fatter, more gun crime and a shitty music scene.

Back
Top Bottom