MERGED--> all Gun Control discussion - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-15-2009, 02:03 PM   #181
War Child
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Carlisle PA
Posts: 818
Local Time: 11:46 AM
Our murder rate for average citizens is equal or less than other countries, even though we own a shit ton of guns.
__________________

__________________
HyperU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:21 PM   #182
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,656
Local Time: 10:46 AM
"Average citizens"? What defines an "average citizen"?
__________________

__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:35 PM   #183
War Child
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Carlisle PA
Posts: 818
Local Time: 11:46 AM
Not a gang banger. lol
__________________
HyperU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:42 PM   #184
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,656
Local Time: 10:46 AM
So do you think we could rid our gang banger population by just teaching them good morals like iron horse said?

Arming more average citizens?

Stop immigration?

Ban gay marriage?

Or all of the above?
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:44 PM   #185
War Child
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Carlisle PA
Posts: 818
Local Time: 11:46 AM
I don't arm myself because I fear gang bangers. I don't arm myself out of fear at all. Gang members and "bad drug deals" generally result in the deaths of gang members and drug dealers. I don't support banning firearms ownership by people that have never and will never commit a crime just because we happen to have that sort of populace. There are plenty of gun laws on the books that don't affect the criminal element as it is.


I support gay marriage and immigrants, but nice generalization.
__________________
HyperU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:07 PM   #186
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,656
Local Time: 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
that have never and will never commit a crime
Do we live in Minority Report?


Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
I support gay marriage and immigrants, but nice generalization.
It's called tongue-in-cheek...
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:16 PM   #187
War Child
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Carlisle PA
Posts: 818
Local Time: 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Do we live in Minority Report?

People seem to think all gun owners are killers. Experience has showed me otherwise. Gotta stay balanced.
__________________
HyperU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:35 PM   #188
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,656
Local Time: 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
People seem to think all gun owners are killers. Experience has showed me otherwise. Gotta stay balanced.

No one has even come close to saying that...

You sure do build up the straw man a lot.



But I do think that most that buy guns are willing to kill, otherwise why buy one?
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:14 PM   #189
War Child
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Carlisle PA
Posts: 818
Local Time: 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
No one has even come close to saying that...

You sure do build up the straw man a lot.



But I do think that most that buy guns are willing to kill, otherwise why buy one?
Most don't buy their guns because they want to kill. They're fun to shoot and help a lot when you go hunting. You seem to live in the Minority Report world more than I do.
__________________
HyperU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:35 PM   #190
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,474
Local Time: 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
Most don't buy their guns because they want to kill. They're fun to shoot and help a lot when you go hunting. You seem to live in the Minority Report world more than I do.


i don't think anyone is blaming responsible gun owners for committing gun crimes.

i am asking, however, and this is just me, that you acknowledge that the right you have to your guns is the direct cause of most of the murders in the United States and is the reason why our murder rate is so much higher than everyone else's in the Western world. i want you to acknowledge the fact that Americans are no more innately violent than anyone else, they just have an easier time getting handguns, and then i want to know that you think that this is all worth it.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:44 PM   #191
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,656
Local Time: 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
Most don't buy their guns because they want to kill. They're fun to shoot and help a lot when you go hunting. You seem to live in the Minority Report world more than I do.
You didn't read what I wrote.

I didn't say they want to kill. But most if not all that own guns are willing to... because that's what guns do. No matter if you bought it to hunt or self defense somewhere in your heart you are willing to kill. Now I'm not saying that is necessarily a bad thing.

I think most will buy a gun hoping they won't ever have to use it. But it's those that carry on themselves that scare me. It's those that don't respect the gun that scare me. It's those that just think they are fun and cool that scare me.
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:51 PM   #192
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,732
Local Time: 11:46 AM
I also think it's rather naive to believe that all the guns used by gangs come from Mexico, and that tighter gun controls in the US wouldn't have an impact on the vast supply available to gangs/criminals.

Because of this thread, I was looking at our gun/crime stats here in Canada the other day. We have to jump through a few more hoops to get/own guns, and carrying handguns is illegal here, yet we're no less "free" than US citizens, our murder rates are much lower per capita, and any non-criminal has the full right to own guns.

I fail to see how we're at a disadvantage, here.
__________________
VintagePunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:54 PM   #193
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim
 
UberBeaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: the most serious...douch hammer ever
Posts: 20,318
Local Time: 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
...here in Canada...We have to jump through a few more hoops to get/own guns, and carrying handguns is illegal here, yet we're no less "free" than US citizens
Sounds to me like you're not free to carry a handgun at shoot your fellow citizen. You know what we call that? Yep. Slavery. Socialist Fascist Slavery.
__________________
UberBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:55 PM   #194
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,474
Local Time: 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
I fail to see how we're at a disadvantage, here.

most US gun crime happens in the summer when the kids and the criminals are out on the streets.

in Canada, you have no summer to speak of.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:56 PM   #195
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,732
Local Time: 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBeaver View Post
Sounds to me like you're not free to carry a handgun at shoot your fellow citizen. You know what we call that? Yep. Slavery. Socialist Fascist Slavery.
I know. Just the other day I was wishing I could pick off some jaywalkers, but then I remembered that I live in Canada.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
most US gun crime happens in the summer when the kids and the criminals are out on the streets.

in Canada, you have no summer to speak of.
Oh, Irvine, you have so much to learn about guns and Canada. We have two seasons - snow and heat and humidity. Where handguns would be most useful is during the dark winter months. That's when the stir-craziness and paranoia starts to set in.
__________________

__________________
VintagePunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com