Mental Health Group Wants Pedophilia De-Stigmatized

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pearl

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I know this is from FOXNews.com and I'm hoping this isn't true. But what if it is? What have people come to?

A group of psychiatrists and other mental health professionals say it's time to change the way society views individuals who have physical attractions to children.
The organization, which calls itself B4U-Act, is lobbying for changes to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, or DSM, the guideline of standards on mental health that's put together by the American Psychiatric Association.
The group says its mission is to help pedophiles before they create a crisis, and to do so by offering a less critical view of the disorder.
"Stigmatizing and stereotyping minor-attracted people inflames the fears of minor-attracted people, mental health professionals and the public, without contributing to an understanding of minor-attracted people or the issue of child sexual abuse," reads the organization's website.
B4U-Act said that 38 individuals attended a symposium in Baltimore last week, including researchers from Harvard University, Johns Hopkins University and the universities of Illinois and Louisville. According to the group, which said to not endorse every point of view expressed, the speakers in attendance concluded that "minor-attracted" individuals are largely misunderstood and should not be criminalized even as their actions should be discouraged.
Speakers also argued that people who are sexually attracted to children should have input into the decision about how pedophilia is defined in the DSM, which they said is supposed to be a guide to promote “mental health vs. social control.”
The American Psychiatric Association did not participate in the conference, and evidently does not condone the group's message.
"An adult who engages in sexual activity with a child is performing a criminal and immoral act and this is never considered normal or socially acceptable behavior," the APA wrote in a 2003 position statement.
Critics of the effort also note that the movement likens its fight for pedophilia acceptance to society's more recent embrace of homosexuality. They warn of a slippery slope to a time when pedophilia is "just another lifestyle choice" that won't warrant criminal charges—and will leave young children at risk.

Read more: Mental Health Group Looks To Remove Stigma From Pedophilia | FoxNews.com

I think this group is foolish to think pedophiles are simply "misunderstood". I assume they believe this would help combat the disease, but they're taking the wrong direction.

What do you think can be done about pedophiles? I've read over and over that there is no cure. Personally, I think they should be executed since they're a danger to society and don't realize what they're doing is wrong. For the record, this is the only time I support capital punishment.

The APA's opinion is really what matters here, and they're clearly not on board; just more baseless media hysteria.

I know this is from FOXNews.com

which means it's designed to drum up fear and hysteria.

hence:

Critics of the effort also note that the movement likens its fight for pedophilia acceptance to society's more recent embrace of homosexuality. They warn of a slippery slope to a time when pedophilia is "just another lifestyle choice" that won't warrant criminal charges—and will leave young children at risk.

it's so unspeakably offensive to be in the same sentence, i can't stand it.

What do you think can be done about pedophiles? I've read over and over that there is no cure. Personally, I think they should be executed since they're a danger to society and don't realize what they're doing is wrong. For the record, this is the only time I support capital punishment.

um, what? firstly, there's a huge difference between being a pedophile and actually acting upon it. most pedophiles can't help their attraction, know that it's wrong, hate themselves, and actually don't act on it. they live sad lives in many ways, and it's incredibly depressing to think about on so many levels.

for those who actually do act and prey upon children, yes, there is a high rate of recidivism, but execution?

for those who actually do act and prey upon children, yes, there is a high rate of recidivism, but execution?

OK, enlighten me. What do you think should be done about someone who molested dozens of children and is not ashamed?

I say execution maybe because I am so disgusted with the pedophiles who don't care about what they do and how they are hurting others. But really, how else do you solve the problem? And there's plenty of people of all different political beliefs who say execution is the only way.

Nice come back. I'm impressed.

If you really want to know, let them live in isolation, where they can't go around being happy about what they did?

Seriously, don't you think child molestors are worse than serial killers?

put in jail and/or receive extensive psychiatric treatment?

But there's nothing that can be done. There's no medication or therapy that gets these people to stop being what they are.

But there's nothing that can be done. There's no medication or therapy that gets these people to stop being what they are.

how much do you actually know about this topic? do you think that your conclusion that they need to be killed might stem from that?

This might sound crazy and would probably be considered "cruel and unusual," but maybe child molesters should be castrated. The same should be done to rapists of any kind, IMO, at least if they want to live in society with the rest of us and can't control their urges. I know that sounds like something that would be done in the Dark Ages, but it would be a pretty good deterrent from that kind of behavior, and it's not like they don't deserve it.

:shrug:

Thank you for being such a bully, Irvine. I expected more from you.

I've read various and legit psychology websites where they've all said very little can be done about pedophiles.

Since you seem to be in know about this topic, why don't you show me where it says child molestors can indeed be rehabilitated. Even you said above that relapse is high.

You didn't answer my previous question: don't you think pedophiles are worse than murderers?

I don't even know if I want to say anything, even in a devil's advocate kind of way about this subject because pedophile troubles me so much, but I've been messing around on Stumbleupon recently and I get a lot of ancient Rome/Greek info since I love history and it tailors the stumbles to your interests. Anyways, in regards to this topic and the idea that it's a lifestyle and what have you, what do you have to say to the fact that pedophile wasn't always a stigma and was actually the norm?

I almost didn't submit this post, and really only did in order to get a bit more discussion in a different direction going. I can't even begin to describe how disgusted I am by child molesters, though I've explained my reasons in the past. But execution? No, I don't think I can get behind that.

Thank you for being such a bully, Irvine. I expected more from you.

I've read various and legit psychology websites where they've all said very little can be done about pedophiles.

Since you seem to be in know about this topic, why don't you show me where it says child molestors can indeed be rehabilitated. Even you said above that relapse is high.

i'm not the one arguing for EXECUTION. bullying indeed!

you are doing exactly what Fox News wants you to do, because this is exactly the type of topic where people feel entirely justified in indulging in whatever Dark Ages-type bloodlust lurks inside, and not only that but that the more severe the punishment they think said perpetrators deserve then the more they "care" about children and hence i'm so much more righteous and good than you.

none of this even comes close to solving the problem, let alone addressing it, and is indicative of reflexive moral outrage that kills actual understanding and dealing with stuff like this in any sort of rational way.

i don't have a solution, i'm not in a position to offer a solution. there are people far more qualified than i who work on this day-to-day and one one is suggesting that EXECUTION is a remotely acceptable way to deal with child molesters.

actually, castration, so long as it were voluntary, might be one of a variety of treatments that could be available.

i'm not the one arguing for EXECUTION. bullying indeed!

you are doing exactly what Fox News wants you to do, because this is exactly the type of topic where people feel entirely justified in indulging in whatever Dark Ages-type bloodlust lurks inside, and not only that but that the more severe the punishment they think said perpetrators deserve then the more they "care" about children and hence i'm so much more righteous and good than you.

You don't realize you're being a bully. Righteous? Good? Talk about being arrogant!

I've been on FYM for a long time and this is how you sum me up? Even now, while you're being such a dick, I still hold your opinion in high regard, except for now while you're attacking me.

I suspect you're just angry that I posted a FOX News article and it said homosexuality is a choice - which by the way I certainly do not agree with and if you've noticed, I have supported same sex marriage on FYM - you are taking your anger out on me. Was that really necessary?

You didn't answer my previous question: don't you think pedophiles are worse than murderers?

if I was an 8 year old, I would rather be molested and survive and have an opportunity to have some kind of a life,

than be tortured and murdered

there are many people that have had fairly good lives and then later tell of being molested. I am not in favor of lessening the penalties of molesters

i think you're overreacting.

i also think it's insane to advocate for the execution of pedophiles, and i shouldn't not say so because you're a nice person and contribute good things to FYM.

i'm angry (well, not angry, i don't care enough about FYM to be angry) because what you have suggested on this single topic is, in my opinion, insane. :shrug: it has nothing to do with homosexuality or same-sex marriage, and everything to do with what i've written about so far.

Perhaps it is insane for me to think pedophiles should be executed. But when I hear about them raping children and even babies, I feel that there is no other way to rid the world of this problem.

Now I got to leave work. I'll be back on this topic when I get home.

FWIW, i am presently doing a project at this very moment with an incest survivor, and i'm quite certain she's very glad she was molested and not murdered, if she had to choose between the two. she has done amazing things with her life.

i swear, that's what i'm working on right now.

It is entirely sensible, rational and humane to encourage those with this tendency not to act out on their inclinations. The problem I see is - and this actually happened in the 1970s - organisations campaigning for the destigmization of paedophilia can be used as fronts by child abusers who have no intention of reforming, as a deliberate agenda to decriminalise child abuse. I am not, of course, suggesting this is the case with this particular group.

I don't even know if I want to say anything, even in a devil's advocate kind of way about this subject because pedophile troubles me so much, but I've been messing around on Stumbleupon recently and I get a lot of ancient Rome/Greek info since I love history and it tailors the stumbles to your interests. Anyways, in regards to this topic and the idea that it's a lifestyle and what have you, what do you have to say to the fact that pedophile wasn't always a stigma and was actually the norm?

I almost didn't submit this post, and really only did in order to get a bit more discussion in a different direction going. I can't even begin to describe how disgusted I am by child molesters, though I've explained my reasons in the past. But execution? No, I don't think I can get behind that.

It is indeed fascinating how mores change over the eons. The ancient Greeks and Romans had a much more fluid definition of sexuality. Pederasty in ancient Greece was not always a sexual relationship, but it could be and it was fairly commonplace in the higher social strata.

I think pedophiles are amongst the most loathesome people on the planet, but I'd say mass murderers and terrorist leaders that encourage the killing of thousands of people are worse. I am also against the death penalty in any case, so I believe that repeat offenders should for the safety of society be locked up for good.

OK, I did some thinking on the way home.

I don't support capital punishment for murderers because I think they would feel martyred if they were executed. When Timothy McVeigh was set to be executed, I was all for it. But then I learned about his attitude towards his death and it was that of a martyr.

Its possible pedophiles could feel the same way if they were to be executed, since some believe so firmly in molesting children. Also, to sink down the level of a child molester by executing them just isn't wise.

But what else can be done? There is no cure and relapsing is high. I just feel helpless when I hear about children being raped. Pedophiles could stay behind bars for life, which is a good option. Perhaps its the only option.

And I'm sorry for cursing you out, Irvine.

I think we need to be very very careful about destigmatizing an activity that actively harms people--particularly people who are uniquely unable to defend themselves.

"You've got to promise me if . . . you ever get to the point in your life where you are so puzzled, confused and frightened that you feel the only way out is to abuse or molest a little kid, well then, you have got to kill yourself.
You have got to lean into the strike zone and take one for the team."
--FoxNews contributor Dennis Miller

Gotta love the wording used. " Minor attracted ". Call these bastards what they are , child rapists. The completely fuck the lives of their victims and their families . The least we can do is castrate them and give them the life sentences they deserve. Do not make it ok by calling these people by a pc name and de stigmatizing it. They need to be publicly named and shamed and pay the penalty for their crime. I have 3 kids. I am hyper vigilant about where they are and who they are with at all times and we repeatedly go over protective behavior . But I am terrified that somehow someone will get to them. Pedophiles are so common this what I have to do as a parent and people want to de stigmatize it?

Back
Top Bottom