Men losing jobs at twice rate of women

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Among those numbers it would be interesting to see a. what type of jobs, b. age, and c. how long had they been at said jobs...

Considering that construction, manufacturing and investment banking have been hit pretty hard in the first rounds that's not surprising. Also whacked in the first rounds of a recession are usually middle management in general industry.

When retail and other service industries start closing shop en masse those gender differences in the numbers will even out.

In the US at least, the hardest-hit industries so far have been construction, manufacturing, and certain service-sector jobs (retailing, hotels etc.). The former two sectors, particularly construction, employ far more men than women. At the same time, healthcare and education--industries employing large numbers of women--are holding steady, even growing slightly, for now anyway. So the total number of (US) men losing jobs has been higher than the number of women. Similarly, Latino men are also overrepresented among the newly unemployed (compared to white or black men) because Latino men are proportionally overrepresented in construction.

Not sure what the UK's unemployment trends are like, but if they look much like ours, this could be the explanation. Of course, when you're talking about the impact of the recession on individual households, you'd also be looking at how many adults in the household work, how much each earns compared to the others, are there dependents who can't work in the household, etc.

(ETA: Looks like AliEnvy just made pretty much the same point.)

Considering that construction, manufacturing and investment banking have been hit pretty hard in the first rounds that's not surprising. Also whacked in the first rounds of a recession are usually middle management in general industry.

When retail and other service industries start closing shop en masse those gender differences in the numbers will even out.

:up:

its getting pretty scary out there - I remember the 80's ugliness - my dad lost his job, mum was luckier but the pressure on them both was enormous - of course my brother and I were teenagers and largely so self absorbed we didn't notice until it meant we couldn't have / do / go what or where we wanted . . . this feels uglier, but it could just be that I am now in the position that my parents were in all those years ago - ie have kids, school fees etc to consider . . . my husbands industry has been hit but so far his company seems to be weathering the storm . .. we're both a little nervous but really, you just have to wait and see don't you?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom